Main Menu

C&VG

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 12 May, 2004, 04:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Remember COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES magazine (C&VG)? Still going strong today after nearly 23 years - the world's oldest games monthly.

In the mid-eighties they started a comic strip featuring various... crazy robots.

I'm sure one of the creators had something to do with 2000AD - does anyone know who it was, and what the strip/characters were called?

Probably on Google, but I couldn't find it.

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

...there was a dark-haired chick in it - she might have been the boss of said robots, and they were up against... something or other...

WoD

more details please....should know this...

ming

This rings a bell...
was one of the robots HUGE and kind of a cross between mongrol and meq-quake?
Was the artist Jerry Parish / Parrish / Paris?

Who drew the Freefall Warriors in Captain Britain?  I have a feeling it was the same guy.
Sorry that's not much help, but hey.  

yadster

Damn this is bugging me. I remember really enjoying the strip and the artwork been really good. Would be nice to see some reprints.

Link: http://www.old-computer-mags.co.uk/cvg/big/59_sep_86.jpg" target="_blank">Rogue Trooper cover

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

From patchy memory, one of the biggest robots was called "Big-"...

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

At the risk of posting like a madman... THE BUG HUNTER! Was that the name of the strip?

ming

Correctamundo. Bug Hunters, Jerry Paris on art duties, and the big red robot was called Big Red.  Got there eventually..

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

"was one of the robots HUGE and kind of a cross between mongrol and meq-quake?
Was the artist Jerry Parish / Parrish / Paris?"

That's the one - and the huge (orange?) robot was BIG D.

Still no sign on Google!

Max Kon

Link: http://www.lambiek.net/labrosse_t.htm" target="_blank">was this some of it?

LARF

Nope, sorry Cybermax.

I rem the artwork it was a bit Jamie Hewlet early tank girl meets a young Trevor Hairsine and they conceive...

This is really bugging me now... I've done a search and found a comedian called jerry paris but not a sausage on his alter ego...

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Close but no cigar, Max.

Ming is spot on - Big RED (wtf, Big D?).

I'd like to see the short strips collected online!

ming

They have some of the art in Michigan State University Library, apparently (blame Google, not me).
Jerry Paris, Pedro Henry and Gary Leach.
Trident Comics are mentioned (1990), so maybe it got a reprint?

The Amstor Computer

Wasn't "Pedro Henry" a pseudonym for Steve Moore?

pauljholden

Jerry Paris was a fantastic artist - the only comic work (apart from Bug Hunters and Lieutenant Laww - a four armed british bobby type robot in C&VG) that I know off, was a one off strip in Action Force (The UK flavour of GI Joe) he did a Snake Eyes strip which was fantastic, I lent it to John McCrea (currently drawing Dredd) in uhm.. about 89/90 when he just got a commision from Action Force to do a snake eyes strip and he needed reference. I never saw it again. The git.

- p