Main Menu

C&VG

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 12 May, 2004, 04:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Yup.  And Alan Moore credits him as "the man who taught me to write comics".

Link: http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/sputnik/53/creator2.htm" target="_blank">Pedro Henry / Steve Moore

ming

yes he was great!  I think he did some stuff for Heavy Metal - just search in the link for 'Paris' and some stuff comes up for the mid-90's (which I've never seen, so if you find it, scan it and show us!)

Link: http://www.helsinki.fi/~lakoma/comics/heavy_metal.html" target="_blank">Jerry Paris where are you now?

LARF

Wasn't a pen name then? A german living in france perhaps...?

We need to know 'cos I've looked all over the place...

ming

Gah - bah - funk!

All the info was in a thread by Priv8eye (29 March) about the freefall warriors.
A reply from Chimp says that Bughunters was collected by Trident, etc.

http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=8756

chimp

Yup, Trident did collect Bug Hunters, I reread it after the FreeFall Warriors thread, and very good it was too. Jerry Paris did the odd Marvel UK pin up IIRC, he?s also go a page of old art work in the ?early artwork? section of the Daredevils monthly ? which also had early work by Steve Dillon, Dave Gibbons and the excellent Paul Neary. Jerry Paris was a great artist, it was kind of odd seeing his work in a couple of children?s books recently.

Stront

Check out

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/C+VG/CVGViewer.html

I haven't had time to find them all, buch check out page 45 of issue 48

Link: ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/C+VG/CVGViewer.html" target="_blank">Bug Hunters in C&VG

Adrian Bamforth

Since the Meg is reprinting all kinds of stuff they should reprint some of these old Jerry Paris stuff, lest it become mere legend. It seems to me Jerry was the greatest 2000AD artist never to work for 2000AD, it's about time he had his due. Shall we send an open letter?

ADE

ThryllSeekyr

Computer + Video Games Magazine. ( Another UK magazine.)

Thats another magazine I used to buy often when the Comodore 64 computer was in vogue. ( Still is actualley.)

There was a robot character resembling Mongrol ( ABC Warriors.) often referred to in this magazine.

Does anybody recall seeing this robot lampooning 'Conan the Barbarian' featured on a three part poster in three consecutive issues of this publication. On the poster itself this robot is dressed in barbarian attire and the words.........

"Hither came (Submit name of Robot here.), sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Alantis under his sandalled feet."
-- (Based on the works of Robert E. Howard,

................. written in the background

I managed to get the top two thirds of this poster as I didn't actualley buy every issue of this magzine back in it's hey day.

If I find them I may scan them and put them up on this website to show all.

Does anyboy recall the issue where they were reveiwing the official FPS game based on the
'Aliens' movie and they were also showing you how to make model replica of one of the alien xenomorph's heads out of modeling putty and latex. I'll probably scan it if I find it and put it up here also.

Does anybody recall any of the magazine issues where the Slaine Martech game was being advertised and reviewed. They were also advertisng some competition where I think you could win one of the Slaine graphic novels of that present time. ( I think.) Actualley this was where I had first read about Slaine before even seeing a issue of 2000AD. I do remember buying a issue of the computer gaming magazine with a picture of Slaine on the front. I will scan it, and if I find it and put up a picture here.

I also recall seeing this computer magazine ( or similar publication.) in a shop many many years ago before I wasn't even twenty years old. After picking this mone off the shelve a flipping through it. I found a Glen Fabry drawn colour poster centrefold of Slaine standing next to the giant severed head of a titan or some other similer monster with Ukko sitting on top of it's head. I didn't buy it and was wondering if anybody remembers it. As it's picture I have never seen in any of the comics. Actualley I have mentioned this before on this forum last year and someone said that they would put it up here. Still waiting on that.

( looking for the other thread in the arkives section.)http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1127929538-06.png">

Adrian Bamforth

I had the C&VG with Fabry cover and interior artwork, I think it was about the same time I got into 2000AD. Perhaps Glenn might dig it out and put it on his web site if you email him.

ADE

ThryllSeekyr

Okay. That's cool.

Perhaps it if I ask nicely it can be reprinted in a future issue of 2000AD. If I may be so bold as too ask. the editor as well as the artist.

Unfortunitely, I can't seem to locate any of the computer magazines I promiced. Though I may keep looking. The robot poster I mentioned isn't in the spot where I thought it had been.

ThryllSeekyr

My E-mail thingy doesn't recognise the e-mail address provided on his website.

I'm not really game or richer enough to ring him either.

Link: http://www.glennfabry.co.uk/contact.htm" target="_blank">Does Glen Fabry have another E-mail

Leigh S

I have that mag - if i get the chance over the weekend, i'll scan the relevant pages.

Will I. Cooling

Was never the same after it went to back to £2.99 after a brief flirtation with £1.50
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

ThryllSeekyr

Cool if you do.

I hope Glen Fabry doesn't mind.

Shotgun_alibi

THANK YOU!!!

You guys have no idea how long I have been searching for any information on Bug Hunters and Lieutenant Laww.  I loved reading this strip when I was a kid and since the late 80's I have heard nothing about it.

I have been asking people for years if they remember it and keep getting strange looks and sympathetic smiles in return.

I was beginning to think I had invented it myself.

What I do remember was one of the last stories printed where Laww, Big Red, and his friends attempt to stop an alien invasion.  The alien is so big that it actually swallows Laww's nemesis "X", an evil blue robot.

Law defeats it and signs off with the immortal line "I think I need an overhaul!"

I am so glad you all remember it as fondly as I do, and I would certainly back any movement made to bring Jerry Paris' work back for a new printing.