Main Menu

C&VG

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 12 May, 2004, 04:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

"I would certainly back any movement made to bring Jerry Paris' work back for a new printing."

The Megazine. You all know what to do.

pauljholden

Thankew! Now if someone would actually print this I could buy it an appease my temporary guilt.

- pj

IndigoPrime

"It seems to me Jerry was the greatest 2000AD artist never to work for 2000AD, it's about time he had his due"

Another artist in this space is Oliver Frey, who did Crash and Zzap!64's covers, along with Terminal Man. As far as I'm aware, he did just one piece for 2000 AD - a Rogue Trooper pin-up around the time of Button Man's debut, and which I duly severely edited for the Zzap!64 107 cover (see http://tinyurl.com/2ecefh for the cover). When the Meg was going through its second reprint phase (whereupon it republished Hellboy and Lazarus Churchyard), I tried getting Rebellion and Thalamus Books to hook up and reprint Terminal Man in brand-spanking-new funk-o-vision, but it never happened, sadly.

Link: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/terminalman.html" target="_blank">The Terminal Man - scanned version

Adrian Bamforth

Spectacular stuff.

Wils

Be warned if you're on the hunt for Oli Frey artwork online. Some of his stuff could make you want to bleach your eyes and have your memory wiped after viewing it. :s

IndigoPrime

His book, The Fantasy Art of Oliver Frey, is really good, if you like his stuff. It collects the vast majority of his (still surviving/accessible) Newsfield (Zzap!, Crash, Amtix, etc.) covers, but removes the cover lines and other crap. Well worth 11 quid. See the link below for the Amazon page and http://www.thalamus-books.com/books-kean-oliver-frey.html for the Thalamus Books page, with more internal pages.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantasy-Art-Oliver-Frey/dp/1902886062/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-8179877-7747956?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183506471&sr=8-1" target="_blank">Fantasy Art of Oliver Frey

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 02 April, 2007, 02:18:57 AM
I also recall seeing this computer magazine ( or similar publication.) in a shop many many years ago before I wasn't even twenty years old. After picking this mone off the shelve a flipping through it. I found a Glen Fabry drawn colour poster centrefold of Slaine standing next to the giant severed head of a titan or some other similer monster with Ukko sitting on top of it's head. I didn't buy it and was wondering if anybody remembers it. As it's picture I have never seen in any of the comics. Actualley I have mentioned this before on this forum last year and someone said that they would put it up here. Still waiting on that.

Sorry to Necro-Post, but it's only truly relevant on this thread....

I finally found a picture of this exact Slaine poster while looking at all the Glenn Fabry - Slaine images on Google

It's supposed to originate from Glenn Fabry's - Tumblr, but I haven't registered with that site. So, I couldn't find it there, yet!   I might try to contact and ask him which computer games magazine it was originally featured inand what issue it was. So I can look for it here!

I'm so happy as my collection of Slaine images gets bigger and more interesting with this much sought after addition.

Leigh S

wow! good find TS

Dandontdare

never seen that one before, fabulous (Fabrylous?) image!

ming

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 August, 2013, 11:57:28 AMI finally found a picture of this exact Slaine poster while looking at all the Glenn Fabry - Slaine images on Google

The original art for that (presumably the origin of the image you found) popped up a while back - the owner doesn't know if / where it was published either...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1030460&GSub=142794

ThryllSeekyr

Ming... are you saying the owner??? Glenn Fabry? doesn't know where this was first used?

Bec,ause I sent Glenn Fabry a message on one of his Face-Book pages. (He has two by the looks!) Asking him about this rare art piece, and which computer gaming magazine/issue it possibly featured in? While I was at it... I asked him if he did indeed base Slaine's on his own? I seriously doubt it though.... I was also very apologetic about that one and sorry to bother him as he must be a very busy fellow.

ming

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 30 August, 2013, 03:33:45 AM
Ming... are you saying the owner??? Glenn Fabry? doesn't know where this was first used?

Bec,ause I sent Glenn Fabry a message on one of his Face-Book pages. (He has two by the looks!) Asking him about this rare art piece, and which computer gaming magazine/issue it possibly featured in? While I was at it... I asked him if he did indeed base Slaine's on his own? I seriously doubt it though.... I was also very apologetic about that one and sorry to bother him as he must be a very busy fellow.

No, I'm saying the owner (not the artist) doesn't know where this was used (assuming it was).  If I can dig up any info I'll let you know...

TordelBack

Nice image, TS.  Like the flared shoulderpad with red piping, bound to be a big look for Spring '14, although accessorising with a giant head and dwarf may not make it to the high street.

ThryllSeekyr

Since I first seen this image about 26 year earlier and in the more recent years where I've become more familier with Slaine I have often wondered what that giant head is from. Too big and ugly to be a Titan. I don't think Titan's have lower fangs that big either.

Is there a race of beastial giants I roaming the lands of Tir-Nan-Nog that I don't know about?