Main Menu

Bring back....

Started by Anemic_Newt, 19 March, 2002, 06:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anemic_Newt

Best of 2000AD Monthly. I know the meg reprints stories but I miss the days when I could get a whole major story arc together for a reasonable price. Titan books are good but I find them a little pricey, and don't reprint much very often.

Please..pretty please bring it back - could be part of the anniversary celebrations - ther must be plenty of material that hasn't been reprinted for a long time or in the previous monthly that could make it worthwhile. Go on rebellion - give it a go.

Newt

Anemic_Newt

What would we want to see in it if it did come back?

O Lucky Stevie!

SHAKO

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Rambo

Half the problem was they ran out of B&W to reprint. Colour cost too much. Also, for long-time readers, we've already got or read most of what would be candidates for reprinting.

Anemic_Newt

Me too, but I still like toread whole stories without searching through several copies of fraying 2000AD - although most of my collection is at my Parents house as I don't have space in mine.
I just used to love reading old strips - cheaply - all together. I agree Shako would make a great story. There is lots of material and it has been so long since it ran it wouldn't hurt to reprint reprinted black and white material. After all Rebellion have paid for 2000AD and its back catalogue. Apart from these seemingly very expensive collected editions of the very first issues what else are they going to do with it?
Newt

O Lucky Stevie!

>Apart from these seemingly very expensive collected editions of the very first issues what else are they going to do with it?

see thread 878?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

rius

Devlin Waugh: Swimming in Blood, the graphic novel. I missed it the first time around and I'm sure it would sell to the younger generation who enjoyed Devlin's last outing in 2000AD, as well as all things Buffy.

2000AD Online

If again devoting one title to reprinting solely classic thrills means the Megazine stops doing so then I'm all for it.

Megazine 4.9: 100 pages.
-- original material: 33 pages
-- reprinted material: 44 pages

Little of which was much good or of any particular interest. Yet I shelled out nearly four quid for some eight page article.

More fool me.

How about reprinting strips and articles from 'Starlord' and 'Tornado'?

2000AD Online

Is Rebellion limited by what it can reprint? What with original artwork having gone astray over the years the quality isn't going to be as good if it's reprinting from another source.

The Amstor Computer

What about reprint material from without the pages of 2000AD? There's a wealth of classic strips that are more worthy of reprinting than some of the strips seen in the Meg recently.

How about:

Charley's War - still stands up as a classic today
Darkie's Mob - good, solid story
Hookjaw - every kid's fave :-D
Strips from Scream?
Starlord-era Strontium Dog & Ro-Busters

The main problem with a lot of this material is ownership & quality of source, but it would be a real treat to see this material reprinted.

Wood

I think that the Starlord era SD and Ro-Busters is owned by Rebellion - because they own the characters. The other strips, AIUI, are a bit more woolly...

As for Meg 4.9 - I really liked it. The original material was just all right (with the exception of Missionary Man - drawn by Ridgeway! Yay!), but I'd never read The Kid Knee Caper before, and although I have read Bad Company, it's welcome...

Rambo

I didn't think much at all of "Swimming in Blood". Last outing was pretty enjoyable though.

Anemic_Newt

Thread 878 - expensive collected editions as I already mentioned :)
There has to be potential for this to work - particularly with the return of many classic characters at the moment. Many new readers might want to see what the orignial series were like - or is there too great a risk that the new versions will seem extremely poor compared to the original like the recent Bad Company? VC's is looking good at the moment though!
Reprint (again) the VC's, Some of the Judge Death stuff that isn't in the current Titan books reprint, some classic Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog featuring Johnny and Wulf and also throw in some material that hasn't been reprinted for donkey's years if ever like Shako, Invasion, etc.
Even if the title was quarterly instead of monthly because whole stories could be contained in it it wouldn't suffer from the Megs problems of being just too big a gap between issues. By the time next months is out I will have forgotten all about what happened in the revious one. And in the case of stories running over a year eg War Dog - by the time there is the big finish you can't remember much about the first episode.
Because it could be produced on "cheap" paper quality of reprint doesn't have to be a prime concen - I worry about that if I am shelling out over ?10 for Titan books and these new collected editions - which will cost a lot more and we have been told quality in some strips will be low.
This seems a more cost effective solution
But then I don't have the money to risk a magazine launch!
And I'm rambling
Newt
Ramble On