Main Menu

ANGRY PLANET FOR AN EXTREME EDITION ANYONE?

Started by ARRISARRIS, 25 May, 2004, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

...as it sez on the tin, what do you think, might be a bit long though...

The Amstor Computer

Nope, no problem - Angry Planet was only 90 pages. Throw in one of the old Dan Dare stories illustrated by Dave Gibbons and you could have an interesting little package...

Dudley

ARRISARRIS

...i class it as a lost sci fi classic from 1979 and 2000ad's sister comic Tornado, and best of all was drawn by the late great Berlardinellei (probably spelt wrong), it was by far the best strip in said comic, and as far as i know its never been reprinted, any chance of anyone posting a piccy or 2 for the people not in the know...

House of Usher

Matthew Markham is a second or third generation Martian, descended from Earth colonists. Mars is semi-autonomous from Earth, but is being held to ransom by the water company. Mars gets all its water from Earth.

It's not bad, especially all the sci-fi tech drawn by Belardinelli, including space liners, haulage trucks, battery packs, pistols, bathtubs on tank tracks, etc.
STRIKE !!!

Art

How bout Planet Of The Damned, complete with amusingly shaped logo?

House of Usher

Planet of the Damned, plus Death Planet?
STRIKE !!!

Smiley

The Angry Planet wouldn't be my ideal choice, but so long as there's some kind of Belardinelli showcase...

The Amstor Computer

Planet of the Damned (Willy):

http://www.2000adonline/images/logos/damned.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

Ah, well - you can go and see the logo at the Profiles page anyway...

Planet of the Damned plus Death Planet comes to about 90 pages, if anyone's seriously interested. IMO, there are better Starlord strips to reprint.

GordonR

I don't think Rebellion have the rights to any old Tornado strips like Angry Planet.  (That was the one about Mars, wasn't it?)

And they definitely don't hafe the rights to the Dan Dare stuff, which must now surely reside with the Dan Dare Corporation.

The Amstor Computer

Yeah, we've been round this one before with Starlord and Tornado. They were both folded into 2000AD, but no-one here seems to know if the rights to the pre-merger strips were part of the Rebellion deal. Do strips featuring characters that belong to Rebellion (Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters...) belong to another group? If they do, then are they unable to do anything with them without Rebellion's say-so?

I'm surprised that Rebellion don't have the rights to the Dan Dare strips printed in 2000AD though...

GordonR

>>I'm surprised that Rebellion don't have the rights to the Dan Dare strips printed in 2000AD though...

I'm strongly assuming that's the case.  IPC (or possibly Fleetway) sold the Dan Dare rights off years ago, so you can't reprint those stories, even if they were part of 2000AD.  You'd have to negotiate with the current owners of the Dan Dare rights, who might not be so keen to resurrect the Dare as gritty, violent space hero era.  (And, let's face it, 2000AD Dare had little or nothing to do with the original character.  Espeically when they turned him into a superhero...)

Consider the Star Wars example.  Marvel published the first Star Wars comics back in the late 1970s, but they can't republish them now, since they no longer hold the licence.  Those comics have been republished, I think, but by Dark Horse, who now hold the Star Wars comics licence rights.

Tweak72

Belardinellis dead??? chris when? does any one know if he did any more garp?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

The Amstor Computer

Not dead, apparently. IIRC, one of the boarders here (DXB?) managed to track him down - if he's skimming, I'm sure he can tell you more about it...