Main Menu

ANGRY PLANET FOR AN EXTREME EDITION ANYONE?

Started by ARRISARRIS, 25 May, 2004, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Belardinelli was supposed to be dead for years... but has recently been uncovered alive and well, living out his retirement in (I belive) Milan.  Various people keep making cryptic hints at having "made contact", but god knows what that means...

davidbishop

I'd loved to see Extreme Editions featuring any of the following from 2000 AD...

Shako (Wagner black humour abounds)
Bix Barton (Milligan eccentricities)
Sooner or Later (never read it, intrigued)
Stainless Steel Rat (if rights could be got)
The VCs (originals, Alan Grant remixing GFD)

davidbishop

The Amstor Computer

Shako - YES!
Bix Barton - MAYBE!
Sooner or Later - NO!
Stainless Steel Rat - GOD, YES!
The VCs - YES!

Out of those, I reckon Shako is the most likely. You still need a back-up story, as Shako's only around 90 pages, but it's gotta be a contender.

What's the deal with rights re: Stainless Steel Rat? Did the publishers at the time just get a licence to do an adaptation that has since lapsed, or have the rights been sold on somewhere else? The Rat was a great strip, just perfect for 2000AD - of course, the gorgeous B&W artwork from Carlos helped a little :-)

BTW - is it possible the VCs might not end up in an EE, but in a DC/Rebellion trade? Fingers crossed...

Art

Bah, Sooner Or Later is great.

And anyway...

BRING BACK BIG DAVE!

The Amstor Computer

Art, you're such a Joey - Sooner or Later was poo...

GordonR

I was thinking the Stainless Steel Rats stories would make a great EE.  As David said, though, the rights (and hence the cost) might be a problem.

I'm presuming Harry Harrison (or his heirs - is he still alive?) must still own them, since it was a licenced property.

Some great Carlos Ezquerra artwork in those stories.

Trout

A Joey? That's not very PC, Blackblood. :-p

Sooner or Later was great, but I doubt I'd manage to read it all in one go.

Would a whole book of one-pagers actually work?

I'd love a bit of the original art, though, or a glossy print of an episode.

Milligan and McCarthy's stuff was gorgeously insane.

- Trout

The Amstor Computer

Hey, what can I say - I'm a traitorous war-droid, I'm not here to be PC ;-)

(Glad someone got the reference, though...)

Dudley

http://www.spleen.dsl.pipex.com/images-joey/jdanim.gif">

House of Usher

Dudley! Are you trying to out-non-P.C. Blackblood?

What are they doing to that poor old man? Spinning him?

Blackblood's 'reference' is probably not wasted on anyone over the age of thirty. I did meet some younger students at my secondary school, however, for whom the word joey had come to mean a lackey, a sycophant, or a gofer. Why and how I've no idea. I guess kids just weren't watching Blue Peter anymore by then.
STRIKE !!!

Art

S'okay, I'm not gonna take any un-PC jibes seriosuly when they come from a robot whos been lobotomised to make him more of a big girls blouse.

Quirkafleeg

AFAIK Harry Harrison is still going....

Though his later books aint as good as they used to be

Dudley

It's an image of Joey Deacon, who was an inspiration to us all!  How is that non-PC?  

Are you suggesting that all people with physical or mental disabilities should be locked away from the view of the general public?  I'd be very careful... this one's a slippery slope...

Link: http://www.matfraser.com/" target="_blank">I'd suggest having a word with Mat Fraser

http://www.matfraser.com/images/new/seal_freak.jpg">

House of Usher

The Stainless Steel Rat was, after Rick Random, the second 2000ad strip I skipped over reading until it came to the end. It just didn't engage me until it got onto the war bit with all the underground tunnelling mole tanks.

Then I had to go and read the whole thing from the start, and it really paid off. After reading the second series ('...Saves the World') I started reading Harry Harrison's books. So congrats, Tharg, for broadening a young Squaxx's horizons!
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Good gosh, no, Dudley! I wouldn't be suggesting any such thing. Maybe I was just startled by the animation sequence. I don't want to be starting a row with you, Mat Fraser, Tom Shakespeare, or anyone. Yep, slippery slope well spotted there. I have nothing more to say on the subject.
STRIKE !!!