Main Menu

ANGRY PLANET FOR AN EXTREME EDITION ANYONE?

Started by ARRISARRIS, 25 May, 2004, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

House of Usher

Now that I think about it, in Angry Planet the Martian settlers import their own water. It's a giant corporation, like 'EarthCorp', or something, that's holding Mars to ransom. They control the spaceports and the haulage companies, without which the water supplies can't be safely landed or distributed.
STRIKE !!!

GordonR

Yes, I think 2000AD is long overdue another  series about water embargoes...

The Amstor Computer

Hey, I'm still waiting for a sequel to Rain Dogs!

(Not joking, BTW - I really thought RD deserved another series...)

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Dudley

Matthew Markham is a second or third generation Martian, descended from Earth colonists. Mars is semi-autonomous from Earth, but is being held to ransom by the water company. Mars gets all its water from Earth. the Martian settlers import their own water.  It's a giant corporation, like 'EarthCorp', or something, that's holding Mars to ransom. They control the spaceports and the haulage companies, without which the water supplies can't be safely landed or distributed.

So, it's a shameless rip-off of Asimov's "The Martian Way" (1955), then?  Or are there other bits to the plot?

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

Coem to think of it, and bring all the threads back together, didn't Harrison write a "Planet Of The Damned"?

House of Usher

To say any more about it would be to give away major plot developments in the remaining three quarters of the story. However, the rest of it may have been cribbed from Asmov's The Martian Way, for all I know.
STRIKE !!!

The Amstor Computer

Bloody hell - a comics writer ripping off an SF story? That's *never* happened before... ;-)http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/03_nov/bk_DamnationAlley.jpg">

Thread Zero

Come to think of it, and bring all the threads back together, didn't Harrison write a "Planet Of The Damned"?

Yup - it was about some bloke called Brian, or something...

Harry Harrison is still alive, by the way; although he must be well into his eighties by now (he was a gunnery instructor during World War Two.)  And he started as a writer and artist on the EC Horror Comics of the 50's, and at one point was one of 2000AD's most famous readers (presumably, still is; unless that time someone plagarised one of his most famous short stories and used it as a Future Shock really pissed him off).

The Amstor Computer

W. R. Logan

>Some great Carlos Ezquerra artwork in those stories

And just been sent a load of scans of TSSR from Carlos and very nice they look to.

Still away but have commandered Wakes computer so I could see what's going on.

As for earlier comments 2000 dont have the rights to Angry Planet, The Dan Dare corporation bought 'all' the rights to Dan Dare from IPC, but even though it ends really quickly I'd love to see Angry Planet again, guess i'm just going to have to dig out those old Tornado's when I get home.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Leigh S

Nobody has uncovered the "Mars Force" art in the big move, then?  Twas the Richard Burton penned/Bellardinelli drawn semi-sequel - the theft of the artwork for the first episodes put paid to the story ever seeing print - thats the story anyways...

The Amstor Computer

Couldn't someone have stolen Richard Burton? I would have put up with Mars Force if it meant Burt & McKenzie had never got hold of 2000AD...