Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Not seen that before - very festive!

Link Prime

This seems like an apt place to ask the question too- do you have any 2000AD / Meg artwork by Jock (in particular his covers)?

https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=43017.0;topicseen

Spikes

Had a bit of a tidy up of my collection of late, which meant I could find space for this.
Rogue Trooper, by Cam Kennedy - of course, from the Gasbah tale (Prog 343/347). Love that top image of Rogue walking through the detritus of war. And that logo.....  classic.

Jim_Campbell

Oh, THAT is fuckin' LOVELY.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Yeah - erally lovely page that one!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Love the layering on that Rogue page (damn I'm no fan of the strip but was it very served by GREAT art). Sure there's a proper technical term for that but I mean they way Cam Kennedy has used different inking styles to really emphasize the depth of the views, you know foreground, to midground to background... you following me? Its the kinda thing that getting original art really adds to a page from some of the examples I've got (alas no Cam!). I imagine the subtlies of what he did on the page won't have survived half as well in the printed page?

TordelBack

The older I get the more I'm convinced that Cam is the most technically accomplished artist we've ever had on the comic.  Almost every panel is a marvel of subtle techniques working together to create a living, moving world. That page is just magic, and it doesn't even have a stammel in it!

Spikes

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 February, 2016, 05:25:19 PM
Love the layering on that Rogue page (damn I'm no fan of the strip but was it very served by GREAT art). Sure there's a proper technical term for that but I mean they way Cam Kennedy has used different inking styles to really emphasize the depth of the views, you know foreground, to midground to background... you following me? Its the kinda thing that getting original art really adds to a page from some of the examples I've got (alas no Cam!). I imagine the subtlies of what he did on the page won't have survived half as well in the printed page?

Comparing this original to others, it would indeed seem that Cam was using different inking techniques around this period.
Though as you had suspected, the transition to the printed page a lot of subtleties are lost. But to see the original art it is abundantly noticeable.

Checking the two; The repro in the prog at the time, though perfectly serviceable, has made the blacks more uniformly solid.
A lot of the lighter linework is kinda 'swamped out', so it all merges into one, a wee bit.

(Just tried taking a photo of the two side by side, but the light in my bedroom is doing me no favours in an attempt to get a decent shot..)

ming

That's a great page, Iain!  Everything you could want in a single page of Cam Rogue Trooper, pretty much.  Lovely stuff.

Link Prime

Quote from: ming on 08 February, 2016, 08:51:51 AM
Everything you could want in a single page of Cam Rogue Trooper, pretty much.  Lovely stuff.

Exactly.
So nice.

Spikes

Cheers guys, glad you like the Rogue page.

This Ron Smith page I've had a little while now, but its on rigid art board, so tricky to get a nice scan of it, but finally managed to get something resembling halfway decent.

Joe and Otto from Prog 280

Skullmo

Brillian! Ron was a wonderful artist - and from one of his key stories
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Great story, amazing page of art! And actually the Captain's Pie sounds rather tasty.

Geoff

edgeworthy

Quote from: Spikes on 20 February, 2016, 10:30:48 PM
Cheers guys, glad you like the Rogue page.

This Ron Smith page I've had a little while now, but its on rigid art board, so tricky to get a nice scan of it, but finally managed to get something resembling halfway decent.

Joe and Otto from Prog 280

Moral Health Committee ... anyone else wondering how long before some idiot on tumblr comes up with that?

Its still hysterical!