Main Menu

Robo-Hunter

Started by Smiley, 04 July, 2002, 01:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

Sam(antha) Slade?

Imagine Sam having a daughter, a real chip off the old block, who inherits her fathers business. (Inheriting Hoagy and Stogie into the bargain much to Sam's relief.)

Would there be any chance of such a strip? Was it ever considered? And why not?

It'd have to be written by John Wagner and drawn by Gibson of course. Wagner could exercise his chuckle muscles and Gibson gets to draw another gorgeous female.

(It might even destroy all memory of Millar & Casanovas' failed revamp.)
http://www.igibson.demon.co.uk/axis%20lady%20-sam-sm.jpg">

paulvonscott

Now that idea has more legs than an egg, and we all know they have two.

DavidXBrunt

As long as she has a talking monkey side-kick then it's fine with me.

O Lucky Stevie!

even better, samantha's down on her luck & the talking monkey own's the business.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Amstor Computer

Sounds dangerously like Demarco... but hey - talking monkeys! Who wouldn't want a strip like that? :-)

Devons Daddy

great idea
robo hunters return. but with a female lead im for it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Smiley

Apart from Halo Jones, the most successful female characters are spin-offs from already popular strips. Durham Red (Strontium Dog), Venus Bluegenes (Rogue Trooper) and several varieties of Judge.

A female Robo-Hunter is a bit uninspired, but then other more original heroines always seem doomed to failure, so this could be the next best thing.

It's unlikely we'll ever get to see Halo again, and even if we did a reappearance might not live up to such great expectations.

It's probably best to wait and see what Lifeboat is like first, if and when 2000AD publishes it.

stodge

what's the game smiley?

you come up with a potentially cracking idea for a story that people appear to agree with and then argue with yourself about it not 12 hours later?  

my names smiley, i'm not Schizophrenic and neither am i!!!

good idea anyway.  i'd like to see it but i would like to see lifeboat as well.....hmm..now i'm doing it....

Trout

I don't care what the strip is, as long as the great Ian Gibson draws it!

But a few thoughts on why Robohunter was better than something like Demarco PI...

The success of the strip was based on its comedy and sheer zany chaotic events, with poor old Sam as the straight man left to deal with everything.

The hook was in the madness of Verdus, or the singing Brit Cit Robots, of the island of the evil Doctor Droid.

IMHO the best moment in the strip - and possibly the funniest ever in 2K - was Sam's reaction to the hospital ward full of Hoagies.

"Oh great god of Robohunters, don't do this to your old pal!" - or words to that effect. His reaction, added to the madness, said it all.

The same effect could be achieved with a female Slade (and, let's face it, Ian's women are some of the best ever) if the writing is strong enough.

However, I fully approve of stories with talking monkeys in them.

- Trout

Devons Daddy

ok lets get this straight we like the idea of a female robo hunter,
we all think life boat is worth a run as well.

the robo hunter nostalga maybe ?, but we have seen the return of bad company, though maybe we should have not tried with book three, debatable.
we have the return of the VCs, cracking stuff. so rather then another hit or miss, lets go with lifeboat, we get a new story, highly likely to be a classic with gibson drawing. then after we ask for another try at a reviving an old story. does not always work so lets see how VCs return goes and then discuss this again.
im with smiley on this one. nothing wrong with a sharing an idea and then reconsidering.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

O Lucky Stevie!

>Sounds dangerously like Demarco... but hey - talking monkeys!

sorry, blackblood, but demarco pi features a talking ape. sure, their both primates, but this argument would compare the idea to virtually every story ever published in 2000ad (there was even a talking primate in the first episode of shakara).

whilst we're on th subject of talking primates which aren't hominids in robohunter, don't forget kid's mom, dying of some terminal disease had her head transplanted onto a gibbon's body because he was too tightfisted to afford the human model.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Amstor Computer

Mmmm - can't quite tell whether your correction is serious or not, but:

Yep, Demarco featured a talking gorilla, and I'm quite aware that the three subspecies of Gorilla gorilla are, AFAIK still considered apes - along with the three subspecies of Pan troglodytes, Pan paniscus, the two subspecies of Pongo pygmaeus & the nine species of Hylobates - and are emphatically not monkeys.

That line was a pretty weak joke, and now I've finished being a wanker for today, I'll be off ;-)

DavidXBrunt

Who cares? If it eats banana's and throws it's own poo about then it should be in the strip.

O Lucky Stevie!

the new adventures of garth;P

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible

Buddy

What is it with Gorilla's in comics these days.. I'm not familiar with the DeMarco story but Philip Bond had a Vertico series "Angel and the Ape' about a P.I. agency run by a crackin' blond and a Gorilla, and I'm sure I can remember another (the name escapes me at the moment).

A female robohunter - yes and no...

Yes for Gibsons females (I fell in love with a character in Halo Jones, can't remember her name and anyway she never returned my calls...)

No for Robohunter can only be Sam Slade, I would find it hard to accept an new version.

But with Gibson and Wagner as creators well... that would be just peachy.

Anything with Gibson will do but a new Robohunter would just top it all.

I think I'd like to see that more than anything else in 2000AD. Forget RT, forget VC's forget SD, do what must be done to get a new series of Robohunter with Gibson/Wagner and we'll even forgive you about the really shitty revamp stuff.

Nuff said...

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk