Main Menu

Meg 330

Started by moly, 17 November, 2012, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

what there's only about ten of us that read the Megazine? no wonder BUtt'man gets his letters published  ;)
DDT did a job on me

The Prodigal

Prior to a possible double sub and having only started reading 2000ad last christmas, I recently bought a couple of megs to get a flavour of American Reaper. I can see how some would like it but I am going to sit its run out before jumping.

Do I get a "11" badge?

Proudhuff

join our band of Brother, we gallant few...
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing

And this is The Megazine, the only comic on the shelves that gives away for free what i'd happily pay a good fifteen quid for, but charges me five sixty for a bunch of stuff i'll never read, let alone give a tinkers about. It's eleven twenty-two british standard time, and after reading this month's Meg, SBT picks up his fone-totem and types:

Downlode Tales was much appreciated. The other strips not so much. I should be better-disposed towards Ratfink, what with his first story being as nasty a piece of post-Hills Have Eyes Remake hillbilly horror as you're likely to find and this one being so screamingly obvious an attempt to turn him into a Mega-City cousin of Dr Rat from my beloved Rat Trap in Cor!! and Eagle. But i'm not, and while i'm happy Grant kept him alive, i hope someone else gets a go at him next.

Nothing else in the Meg remotely interests me, i'm afraid. Next month's return of American Reaper can't come soon enough.

But, Disaster 1990? Really? Not Finn 2 or Downlode 2? Sigh...

SBT

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 November, 2012, 09:46:12 AM
what there's only about ten of us that read the Megazine? no wonder BUtt'man gets his letters published  ;)

Not is two out of the last three he didn't!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 November, 2012, 11:31:49 PM

But, Disaster 1990? Really? Not Finn 2 or Downlode 2? Sigh...

I can honestly say Disaster 1990 is the worst strip ever printed in 2000ad. Strong words I know - we've had 'Junker', 'Dead Meat', 'Mother Earth', 'Henry Moon : Survivor', 'Chronos Carnival' and Fleisher's Rogue but nothing ever topped (lowered) Bill Savage driving about in his aqua-car shooting baddies who were, like taking stuff to survive. Someone must have been on drugs to agree to this - it never got mentioned in 'Invasion' that less than a decade before London was underwater and Bill was like a cross between Aquaman and The Punisher.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Buttonman on 21 November, 2012, 11:47:43 PM
I can honestly say Disaster 1990 is the worst strip ever printed in 2000ad.
Blimey! I've been excited about this since I wrote a letter to Mega-Tharg a few months ago thanking him for reprinting Death Planet and suggesting he give me a chance to read Disaster! for the first time.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. The Meg's really starting to get to that place of being 'habit' for me, rather than something I care about. I found this entire issue quite weak, and the return of American Reaper plus Disaster 1990 as a freebie next month hardly fills me with joy. Quite a contrast to 2000 AD, which is all guns blazing right now.

Zarjazzer

Okay but not so impressive as the progs of late. Killer elite still stonkingly good blast-a-thon fun, and Dredd vs Ratty was excellent but a very 70's Marvel vibe I got from it with Dredd explaining what he's doing in the panel.

Anderson was enjoyable with a WH40k style end panel but I just skimmed Downlode.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Alien Goodness

This month's Meg is like Tennent's Pilsner

COMMANDO FORCES

How on earth is that rat managing to sit on Dredd's shoulder pad, when he's upside down?

And before you say it. I very much doubt the claws would be able to pierce the pad!

SmallBlueThing

And his badge chain is defying the laws of gravity. Im hoping the eventual piece on pete's blog will put all this to rest!

SBT

DrJomster

Let's see how the Chrimble Meg shapes up. Could be a bit of the ol' pre Xmas lull this month. I thought the previous Megs were ok...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Buttonman on 21 November, 2012, 11:47:43 PMI can honestly say Disaster 1990 is the worst strip ever printed in 2000ad...

Bill Savage driving about in his aqua-car shooting baddies who were, like taking stuff to survive.

You say it's the worst, but then go and describe THE BEST.  How have I never read this?  It sounds awesome.

NapalmKev

Great Meg!

Snapshot done and dusted. Not a bad series, maybe a little slow in places but good finale.

Dredd: enjoyed both but Killer Elite stood out more for a couple of reasons. The story and artwork are quality but some of Dredds dialogue seemed a little bit un-Dreddlike.

Anderson: I'm enjoying this but I can honestly say I think Anderson needs to be drawn 'older'. The artwork is really good but if this is set in current Dredd continuity surely she should be 50 plus by now? Anyway, great story!

American Reaper to return next month. Enjoyed the first run, and looking forward to see how this ends!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Proudhuff

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 November, 2012, 07:03:47 PM
How on earth is that rat managing to sit on Dredd's shoulder pad, when he's upside down?

And before you say it. I very much doubt the claws would be able to pierce the pad!

maybe its one of those flying rats from the curs-ed earth?
DDT did a job on me