Main Menu

Rebellion To Reprint The Last American

Started by JOE SOAP, 16 November, 2016, 12:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 18 November, 2016, 05:39:54 PM
I seem to remember one of the issues was a 'singing' issue.

That's one of my pet hates, singing stories - hate 'em every time

seanharry

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 18 November, 2016, 11:10:31 PM
Listed as a paperback over on Book Depository

Very disappointing.

Rebellion seem to be very reticent about printing in hardcover, which is a real shame. All my 2000AD stuff looks pretty cheap on the shelf next to Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse etc.

Given the sales of the ABC Warrior Mek Files, The Cursed Earth, Urban Warfare and Dark Justice, which all sold out, what is their issue with presenting more of their back catalogue in a deluxe format that collectors would appreciate?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: seanharry on 19 November, 2016, 06:20:11 PM
Rebellion seem to be very reticent about printing in hardcover, which is a real shame. All my 2000AD stuff looks pretty cheap on the shelf next to Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse etc.

Given the sales of the ABC Warrior Mek Files, The Cursed Earth, Urban Warfare and Dark Justice, which all sold out, what is their issue with presenting more of their back catalogue in a deluxe format that collectors would appreciate?

The Last American is a much lesser known work than Judge Dredd or the ABC Warriors so I presume Rebellion have done their sums in terms of attracting both old and new readers with a less expensive paperback.

Steve Green

Hardbacks are much more expensive.

They were still shifting decade old hardbacks very cheaply recently, I would imagine they understandably don't want to get stuck with a load of books they can't shift.

Very easy to say they should do 'x' when it's not you staring at boxes of unsold expensive hardbacks.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: seanharry on 19 November, 2016, 06:20:11 PM
Rebellion seem to be very reticent about printing in hardcover, which is a real shame...

Given the sales of the ABC Warrior Mek Files, The Cursed Earth, Urban Warfare and Dark Justice, which all sold out, what is their issue with presenting more of their back catalogue in a deluxe format...

Yeah, what a bunch of misers. In the last two years alone they've only given us hardbacks of the aforementioned Mek Files 1, Mek Files 2, Mek Files 3, Cursed Earth, Urban Warfare, Dark Justice, Return to Mars, Return to Ro-Busters, Dan Dare 1, Dan Dare 2, Ro-Busters 1, Ro-Busters 2, Daily Dredds 1, Daily Dredds 2...
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

It's a valid point on the stock control front, particularly when you consider that to some extent you are talking a niche market anyway.  Then again if it is a niche why not play to that? 

Thanks DJ for that reminder though.  There have been a lot of quality books over the last year or so.

Colin YNWA

Bit of a tangent ths but since Rebellion are reprinting Last American its made me wonder what the ownership status of Outcasts. I always thought it was under one of the deals at the time which meant that ownership of the strip reverted to the creators after an agreed period of time after it was last printed, similar to Watchmen.

Now I'm not sure quite why I think that, but its in my head somewhere that that's the case. If that's right I'm pretty certain this would have reverted back to Wagner, Grant and Kennedy AND if that's the case its well overdue this sort of treatment...

... of course I could be completely wrong and this is just a straight DC property? Anyone know for sure?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 November, 2016, 07:21:19 AM
Then again if it is a niche why not play to that? 

Because the niche for this comic is a niche within a niche and they'd like to draw new/old readers' attention to an older work?

Tjm86

Fair enough.  As opposed to the likes of DC who do originals, trade, deluxe, absolute, artist, mother-in-law editions ...

That said.  Rebellion have done it with both Cursed Earth and Zenith.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 November, 2016, 04:28:07 PM
Fair enough.  As opposed to the likes of DC who do originals, trade, deluxe, absolute, artist, mother-in-law editions ...

That said.  Rebellion have done it with both Cursed Earth and Zenith.

Aye, Rebellion doesn't have the spending power of America's Big 2 nor their consumer base but Zenith was a long, uncollected, out-of-print, significant piece of work by one of the most successful writers in comics so it's a definite sell - the limited edition hardback sold-out in a few days - and The Cursed Earth Uncensored is a notable piece of controversial Judge Dredd history and it was another definite seller.

The Last American isn't even 2000AD.

Spikes

I can see the point in going for the cheaper option on this, but would love, and would pay more, for a more deluxe version.

Would it be worthwhile for Tharg to do a limited HB version to be sold only via the shop?

Steve Green

I would have imagine that Rebellion have considered other options, e.g. crowdsourcing etc.

It would be an interesting experiment, but I'm sure they've done their calculations based on past experience.

Southstreeter

I don't think I was aware of The Last American before this recent publicity. I'd be unlikely to buy it in hardback, but I might take a punt on a paperback.

Magnetica

Likewise I was not aware of The Last American before this.

Paperback is absolutely fine by me and I'll definitely be getting this.