Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Judge Nutmeg

Good selection of stories in Target, but I felt in the article about beatings Dredd has had over the years surely the Howler should have been mentioned, he rammed Dredd's head down the bog.

bedlamvr

I think if this list is legitimate

https://www.facebook.com/judgedreddcollection/photos/p.1652688321655636/1652688321655636/

It kind of highlights how the mega-collection differs from the case files. While the case files give all the depth of the stories around a period the mega collection shines the light on the supporting cast showing just how deep Dredds world is.

Also
I was expecting at least one more Anderson book but apparently there are 3 more planned and another based on the PSI division.... which is interesting

It is just a matter non on how convincing I can be to the wife to justify the cost of the case files AND the mega collection

The Monarch

Still hoping for at least two missionary man books and a calhab justice one

IndigoPrime

Given that the list is from the Mega Collection moderator, I can't imagine it isn't legitimate. On Psi-div, there've been notes elsewhere that the 'stars' collection is non-Anderson tales. I don't know how that will pan out, but I hope it's not just full of the second-rate crap that spent time lurking in the Meg while Anderson was on a kind of hiatus. (Janus is already confirmed, like, rilly.) On the whole, that list looks pretty good though.

As for the Mega Collection versus the Case Files, I agree that the split is clearly one between the wider world and the world of the Progs and Megs. I do wonder if the Case Files were started today if things might be different. I recall at the time, the run was originally planned to be shorter, and there were discussions about whether or not the Meg would be included. Would the current team include the 'Restricted Files' stories in the main run? America? That said, you'd still not get only tangentially related content in the mix, such as Anderson, Shimura, and so on. Also, it's sometimes interesting seeing how things play out in an immediate sense, rather than waiting several books to see what happens (and, in the case of the late teens Case Files, wading through a lot of terrible material).

From a personal point of view, the Mega Collection has made me pause somewhat and reflect on other collections. I see no sense in grabbing another Devlin Waugh book if I'll have the same stories (albeit in a different order) in the Mega Collection. The same also goes for things like Trifecta, and I'm also considering offloading some older trades that are now straight duplicates. Still, I can't imagine the Mega Collection will impact on the standard trades in any obvious way, not least now they're not visible at the consumer level. (As in, as with most partworks, you already need to know about them to find them, for the most part.)

On the whole, I'm pretty happy with these books, though. Iffy packaging, some context issues, and the odd spot of duff repro aside, these are really nicely put together collections.

robert_ellis

Loving Chasing Herod, even though I was slightly dreading it. The classy art by Steve Yeowell keeps the large cast grounded. He's perfectly suited to occult horror. John Smith keeps the humour going among the magical/technological macguffins. Devlin, much like Zenith, is best in an ensemble cast to bicker with. This series is amazing - loving the intro's. John Smith really should have got a long-term Hellblazer gig - I can't pass a laundrette without remembering his one-off issue. I'm wondering if the Gaydos Devlin will get collected - is there enough remaining Waugh stuff to fill another volume?

IndigoPrime

Judging by Barney, uncollected Waugh includes:

Fetish - 85 pages (confirmed as vol. 16)
Mouthful of dust - 20
Vile Bodies - 12
All Hell - 50

That's 167 pages of strip, and so it'd need to have something else there to flesh it out a bit.

I, Cosh

There's also Songs of Innocence. Maybe Strange & Darke to fill it out?
We never really die.

TordelBack

Maybe if that Smith fella would write some more really, really quickly...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 November, 2015, 05:42:30 PM

Do you mean Innocence And Experience?

Skullmo

Quote from: The monarch on 26 November, 2015, 12:58:50 PM
Still hoping for at least two missionary man books and a calhab justice one

The whole of missionary man would be nice

It's a joke. I was joking.

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 November, 2015, 07:47:04 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 26 November, 2015, 05:42:30 PM
Do you mean Innocence And Experience?
Probably. I knew it was some sort of William Blake reference.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

That's already been reprinted—it's the last strip in the Chasing Herod volume, ending on a cliffhanger that presumably John Smith will follow up in 2027. Maybe.

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 November, 2015, 12:16:34 PM
That's already been reprinted—it's the last strip in the Chasing Herod volume, ending on a cliffhanger that presumably John Smith will follow up in 2027. Maybe.
Ah, sorry. I don't get these so just assumed it was the same chronological reprinting as other volumes.
We never really die.

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 November, 2015, 12:16:34 PM

I really loved the Peter Doherty art in that, remember it from when it was in the Meg. Incredible shame it hasn't been followed up on as Smith and Doherty seem a perfect team. Herod was great, so many good characters ripped apart in the mayhem.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd