Main Menu

2000 AD Android app - now live!

Started by Molch-R, 14 January, 2015, 10:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 January, 2015, 11:15:48 AM
I doubt it would straightforwardly, given that Kindle Fire isn't really an Android device in the normal sense, but an Amazon dispensing machine. If you're a brave sort, there are guides online, though, about downloading and then sideloading Google Play apps into a Kindle. However, whether the payment and subscription stuff would work is another matter entirely.

I did it quite easily as I have a pure  Google device already. I installed the app on my Nexus 5 phone. I used the file manager software (an app that has to be installed itself, it doesn't come with the device. There are a few available) to generate a backup of the app.

That creates an apk file. (That's the package file which is actually downloaded then unpacked and installed when you install a new app.) I copied the app to dropbox. (Another Cloud drive will do, or you could copy it to your computer via a usb connection.) I then accessed my Kindle Fire and copied the file over and installed it.

There's a way to install apps without faffing around with another device (basically you use another website to download the apk file from Google Store for you and then download it from there) but last I tried that did not work due to site 'meeting it's quota' for the day. (I assume there's a limit to the amount of downloads it can do.)

Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to go into more detail with either methods.

The app seems to run fine so far. Only issue is that all the books and comics appear as 'Not Available' but that's the same on the pure Google Nexus 5 device too so I don't think that's a device issue. I assume this is just a work in progress thing on the shop end.

On, and the links on the subscriptions screen don't seem to work. Again, maybe that's a work in progress thing, although since nobody else here has mentioned it....

At the moment I'm pretty happy with downloading from Clickwheel and viewing the comics through ComicRack*. For now that seems the cheaper option.

That being said, if the comic prices in the app and Clickwheel match in future, I'd be happy to switch.

*Another app that is not available on the Amazon store that I copied over to my Fire using the above method.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 January, 2015, 04:41:53 AM
The app seems to run fine so far. Only issue is that all the books and comics appear as 'Not Available' but that's the same on the pure Google Nexus 5 device too so I don't think that's a device issue. I assume this is just a work in progress thing on the shop end.

On, and the links on the subscriptions screen don't seem to work. Again, maybe that's a work in progress thing, although since nobody else here has mentioned it....

You can only buy comics / subscriptions on a device that can connect to the Google Play store, as all the purchases are handle through that. Kindle Fire's use the Amazon Store. You should be able to download and read any issues linked to your Rebellion ID though.

Issues shouldn't be coming up as not available on your Nexus 5, unless you don't have a Google Account on it or something...

Just buy the Progs/Megs/etc at http://shop.2000adonline.com and when you log into the app they will be available to download / read

Check the app before you buy though as currently not all of them are available on the app(s)

Mardroid

Quote from: Pyroxian on 19 January, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
Issues shouldn't be coming up as not available on your Nexus 5, unless you don't have a Google Account on it or something...

I double checked and you're right. My apologies.

Keef Monkey

Well, today is the first prog day since I grabbed the app and subscribed, really happy with the experience.

I didn't even know it was Megazine day either until I saw the notification on the app so that was handy! Noticed the prog looked a little pixelly zoomed in (I'm using a Nexus 7) but other than that was great. Compared to my old Wednesday lunchtime process of buying through the website, adding my card details again, heading to my account to download it...just way slicker, really happy with it.

Tiplodocus

Mine looks a little pixelly when I view the full page (10 inch Samsung tab). It's not too bad but when I zook in, everything looks gorgeous (until I get too close/zoomed).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mark Taylor

Quote from: pauljholden on 14 January, 2015, 02:49:59 PM(I know lots of people disagree with software patents...

Indeed, particularly when they are patenting an idea so obvious a 5 year old could come up with it. The first time I ever read a comic on my phone my immediate thought was "this would work far better panel by panel", and as someone with just literally a minuscule amount of programming experience the method of drawing 'virtual' boxes around the relevant areas and then having the device zoom on that area was obvious straight away.

Of course it would have taken a little more work than that to develop it into something that could be patented, but this is the sort of inane crap that companies are, in effect, claiming they should have some sort of exclusive rights on because they 'thought of it first' (when they probably didn't, they were probably just the first to have the resources to do something about it). The they abuse the patent system to enforce that.

The Amazon 'one click shopping' idea is equally obvious.

chris_askham

Is there still a way for me to read my digital prog? Up to now I'm downloading from Clickwheel and uploading to my Kindle. But there's no Kindle app (fair enough), and i don't fancy reading my prog on my Android phone. Is there still a way to get a digital copy on to my Kindle? Help!

The Enigmatic Dr X

How does this work?

I've never read a digital comic.

Is the page compressed onto the screen, or do you get to zoom in on the panels and see all the detail enlarged?

Sorry if I am asking an obvious question.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 January, 2015, 08:12:03 PM
How does this work?

Is the page compressed onto the screen, or do you get to zoom in on the panels and see all the detail enlarged?

You can do both Doc. If I read a comic on my phone I'd zoom in, panel to panel. On my 7 inch Nexus 7 tablet I would turn my tablet landscape so the width of the page equalled the width of the screen in landscape mode and pan down. Unless I was using comixology, in which case I'd use panel guided view with either device.

I would usually start viewing the page as a whole, though.

I now use the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 to read my digital comics, and to take advantage of the larger screen and emulate the experience of reading a physical comic as much as possible I start by viewing the entire page on screen. And due to the larger screen size that will often suffice to see everything, but to ensure I get the full experience and catch the detail, I'd zoom in a bit (just to the estimated size of the physical comic) and pan across. I even do that in Comixology now. So the lack of guided view in the new 2000 AD Android app is no issue for me, although I think it's a fantastic feature.

I received the mail concerning the change in prices on Clickwheel to match the webshop and apps. On one hand that's quite an increase, although the higher price is still pretty reasonable. On the other hand I will now have an excuse to take advantage of the more convenient delivery method of the app.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 January, 2015, 08:46:24 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 January, 2015, 08:12:03 PM
How does this work?

You can do both Doc. If I read a comic on my phone I'd zoom in, panel to panel. On my 7 inch Nexus 7 tablet I would turn my tablet landscape so the width of the page equalled the width of the screen in landscape mode and pan down. Unless I was using comixology, in which case I'd use panel guided view with either device.

I would usually start viewing the page as a whole, though.

I now use the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 to read my digital comics, and to take advantage of the larger screen and emulate the experience of reading a physical comic as much as possible I start by viewing the entire page on screen. And due to the larger screen size that will often suffice to see everything, but to ensure I get the full experience and catch the detail, I'd zoom in a bit (just to the estimated size of the physical comic) and pan across. I even do that in Comixology now. So the lack of guided view in the new 2000 AD Android app is no issue for me, although I think it's a fantastic feature.

I received the mail concerning the change in prices on Clickwheel to match the webshop and apps. On one hand that's quite an increase, although the higher price is still pretty reasonable. On the other hand I will now have an excuse to take advantage of the more convenient delivery method of the app.

Thanks.

My post, though, was a whisky fuelled moment of weakness. Paper is where it's at.
Lock up your spoons!

mrketch

Been trying this out and its working great on my Hudl 2. One small request though, on devices that have on screen controls (all non Samsung devices I'm guessing) it would be good if the on screen controls could be hidden while reading. I know many apps now offer to swipe down from the top to reveal on screen controls. It would give a little more screen to the comic which would be good on smaller devices.

Rog69

I really like the app, it was all I needed to finally take the plunge and go digital. It's great for me because I am travelling a lot and I love just having the prog pop up on my tablet once a week without having to faff around transferring the files onto it from my PC, and it's great knowing that I can still access my purchases DRM free from the website so I don't have to worry about filling my tablet's storage up.

The only small issue I have had with it is that it forgot my login details a couple of times, but it's a minor thing.

Thanks to all involved with bringing this out, nice work.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

mrketch

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with 64gb sd card. Is there any way to change the default download location?