Main Menu

Rebellion buys classic comic archive

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 25 August, 2016, 10:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 11 September, 2016, 04:18:42 PM
Just as an aside on the potential for reprints:

I would be surprised if there is anything like a significant amount of film or original art extant for much of the material Rebellion now own. Horror stories of original art being dumped in skips abound, and unless they have been very lucky and Egmont maintained a substantial physical library of art/film, they may well be looking at working from the original comics for future reprints (I haven't yet seen the Monster/Misty collections, but I suspect that was the case there).
If the experience with 2000AD IP is anything to go by then I suspect this is the case.  I think Rebellion only have the right to reprint the material - I doubt anything physical actually changed hands.

QuoteWhile excellent results are possible working from copies of the comics, it will - unless Rebellion have found a way to automate the process and keep quality high - likely mean reprints are going to be a time-consuming and labour-intensive operation. Good copies will need to be found (quality of print can vary dramatically from copy to copy of a single issue depending on where it fell in the print run), pages will need scanned individually and cleaned up, damage or other repair issues may need to be addressed etc.
Maybe that's why Katscan left - she heard rumours of what was coming and ran away in terror!

IndigoPrime

QuoteRichardson says there are likely to be reprint collections of the purchased series in 2017
I'm going to take that as "Richardson says there is definitely going to be a totally amazing collection of Thirteenth Floor."

OH YES.

(What?)

The Monarch

Roy of the rovers....i will buy it all....all of it

Frank

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 19 October, 2016, 02:06:39 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 11 September, 2016, 05:54:36 PM
I think Rebellion only have the right to reprint the material - I doubt anything physical actually changed hands.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/seventies-comics-and-a-revived-appetite-for-rebellion-a7366096.html

Keith's article says Rebellion's money bought them some film, the odd bit of original art, and the bound volumes of back issues kept by all IPC titles. The kind of plain, red bound volumes seen in this tour of Tharg's Osney Mead gaff.

Molch-R

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Molch-R on 25 October, 2016, 03:38:26 PM
http://www.2000adonline.com/post/931

I see that Quaxxan fool Tharg has made a critical error  - he's put a load of comics fans in charge of moving a load of old comics around!

It'll take MONTHS for those five pallets to get unloaded properly - the office staff'll all be perched uncomfortably up against something reading whenever his back's turned.

I have the same problem whenever I'm charged with getting the Christmas Decorations down from the loft.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Banners

Who I lobby/pay/flatter to get a Complete Durrell's Palace edition...?

Colin YNWA

Interesting note that Titan will continue to reprint some material under license. I wonder if that means (well I'm guess it will) Titan will continue to reprint Johnny Red volumes. Assuming they release them they've done a good job so happy with that.

Tjm86

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 October, 2016, 03:58:35 PM
- the office staff'll all be perched uncomfortably up against something reading whenever his back's turned.

I have the same problem whenever I'm charged with getting the Christmas Decorations down from the loft.

Bit odd, sitting reading Christmas decorations?

sbelmont

Good to see the trusty droids helping out with the move, bet they opened the box marked Wizzer & Chips for a sneak peak.

Michael Knight

Tharg the Mighty! Please pretty please get 'Doomlord' reprinted in its entirety and 'The thirteenth Floor' too!  :)

Dash Decent

Quote from: Molch-R on 25 October, 2016, 03:38:26 PM
http://www.2000adonline.com/post/931

Sixth photo down.  There's a bloke in the background playing with his phone while waiting for his Dirty Frank audition.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Michael Knight on 26 October, 2016, 01:41:22 AM
Tharg the Mighty! Please pretty please get 'Doomlord' reprinted in its entirety and 'The thirteenth Floor' too!

Sadly...

QuoteThe Rebellion acquisition does not include Dan Dare or The Eagle, as these were previously sold by Egmont in the 1990s.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There was an obituary in the Indy to Steve Dillon. That damn photo was there again but I couldn't find the obituary online but discovered this instead.http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/seventies-comics-and-a-revived-appetite-for-rebellion-a7366096.html

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla