Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

And if one doctor isn't helpful, you're entitled to get a second opinion. You've likely done that already, but keep pushing at them and make sure they know her full medical  history and past issues.

Sorry, I know I'm not really in the right place to give good advice on these matters.

But yes sharing here is fine. That's what this part of the board is for.

Tjm86

I've read some statistics recently (in fact I've read way too many to be able to remember where I came across it) that said that patients / families of patients that complain the most get the most support / treatment.  Thinking about it from a school perspective, kids of the pushiest parents are the ones that are most likely to be statemented etc (even if they don't need it sometimes!)  I guess this is by way of echoing Sharkey and Mardroids 'get in their face' comments.

Theblazeuk

We've been through 5 different doctors at this point, seen neurologists and cardiologists, make repeat appointments to follow up with the GP but struggle to get the same GP two weeks in a row.

This is all at the same practice I suppose. Possibly we should move but other than this, it's been a great place - helped me get my shoulder back on track, antibiotics for throat infection, all relatively easy and simple things done well. Complicated stuff has proven underwhelming.

I suppose our expectations were incredibly low from previous experiences in West London.

Thanks all. Going tomorrow with paperwork that contradicts what the previous GP said about availability of tests and inability to make a clinical diagnosis. Late March appointment with a rheumatologist who may be more helpful (but may not and it's been a 6 week wait for that). Lots of private tests about to be booked. From the sounds of things may end up with private treatment as almost universally all I hear is that Lyme disease is effectively disregarded in the absence of a test, and doctors resist their own guidelines.

Hopefully I'll get a junior doctor.

Dandontdare

Working for private healthcare it is certainly true that the more you complain off, the more you get - hope it all works out for your missus and they can come to a definite diagnosis so that she can get the right treatment.

On my part, this hasn't yet reached the 'SPUGS' level, but I can't find the 'minor impediments' thread - (am I being dense or has it vanished?)I've just had my full Bupa medical (one of the perks of the job). It's my fourth over the last 12 years and I've gradually gone from "overweight and generally needs to improve diet/fitness" to "See a cardiologist IMMEDIATELY to get checked for angina and lose weight urgently" as my blood pressure, cholesterol and ECG results have all crept into the Red zones.

I'm just back from the chemist with a nitro-spray, value pack of aspirin and stomach meds to counteract the aspirin - if only they prescribed motivational anti-laziness pills.

The Legendary Shark

Once I started eating one raw segment of garlic daily, my blood pressure went from Aaargh! to normal.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I love garlic but don't think I could chew it raw - does it still work in a chicken kiev or garlic bread?  :)

Reckon I might give the capsules a go though, cheers.

The Legendary Shark

It's not easy but you get used to it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

My wife is Bulgarian, she eats raw garlic cloves every now and again.  :-X

Dandontdare

My dad seems to be exhibiting the early stages of dementia. He's 84 and it's getting beyond "a bit forgetful" - he really cannot remember anything day to day and it's got noticeably worse over the last 12 months. He has to write everything down and tells me the same stories that he's told me a few hours ago, he also misses turnings and forgets well-known routes when driving. It's not got to the point where he doesn't remember people or what year it is, it's just names and appointments, but there's usually only one direction in which this goes. Luckily my mum's still sharp as a tack.

Bolt-01

Ah, Triple D- that's heart breaking. So sorry to hear.

The Legendary Shark

Heartbreaking indeed. My thoughts are with you, DDD.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

Sorry to hear that DDD.

My father-in-law had Alzheimer's. Not only was it terrible for him but very testing for the family, to say the least.

Old Tankie

Sorry to hear that, my old dad is going the same way it is very sad, should your dad still be driving?

Dandontdare

Thanks folks, like I said it's not too bad yet, but we'll see how it goes.

He's still perfectly safe driving, it's just a memory thing - he offered to drop me off at the local station to get my train back the other week and just drove straight past it. The family are making sure he doesn't do any long distance journeys, and they gave up the caravan a few years ago.

Andy Lambert

Very sorry to hear this, DDD :(