Main Menu

a question about the psi files and legacy of Fink angel

Started by CAN1F, 15 May, 2016, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAN1F

AlexF

Not quite sure what you mean...

Anderson Psi Files aren't printed under the same banner as Judge Dredd Complete Case Files, and they print entirely different stories...

...but if you want to read everything that happens in the world of Dredd, then you're missing out on quite a bit if you don't read the Psi Files. Also, they're full of great stories!

In particular, Psi Files Vol 1 explains what happened to Judge Death in between 'Judge Death Lives' and 'Necropolis'.

Psi Files Vol 2 and 3 carry the story of [spoiler]Orlok the Assassin[/spoiler] from the end of [spoiler]Block Mania[/spoiler] up to [spoiler]Doomsday[/spoiler].

Then Volume 4 picks up a bit more Death, following on from his own solo outings (also not likely to be collected in the Complete Case Files).

There was some fuss around the time of the original publication that the stories reprinted in Anderson Psi Files 3 and 4 had quite major implication for MC1 and Dredd's world generally (e.g. the arrival of Satan, and the kidnapping of every single child in the city), but were never even referenced in Judge Dredd strips of the time. Dredd himself appears in a number of these stories, but not in what you'd call a continuity-affecting way.

But in the long term, this lack of tying in to Dredd hasn't mattered, I don't think.

In shelving concerns, the Psi Files each cover a much larger span than the Case Files, so you can't easily slot them in between CCF volumes. A bit like the Restricted Files, then.

Fink Angel and the Angel Gang in their solo stories has all been prequel stuff to their original Dredd appearances (I think). So you could argue that they don't tie into the ethos of the Complete Case Files. Except for Ratfink, whose stories have all run under the Judge Dredd banner. These no doubt will be collected in the CCF, but not for about 8 years. Still, there's some cracking fun in the Spurrier/Roberts work.

Is this too much info, or not enough?

Dark Jimbo

The Psi Files? Very much so.

As Alex says they continue the story of MC1, Orlok, Judge Death and others and the stories often intersect with the main Dredd strip- if, as I suspect, you're trying to get 'the full story' of Dredd's world then they're definitely worth picking up. Here's how they slot into the general reading order (A1, A2, A3):

@jamesfeistdraws

CAN1F

Thanks

I got all the ccf & restricted files got a few others just wasn't sure if the Anderson files were already covered in the ccf but you told me there not so will be buying them

AlexF

CAN1F

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CAN1F on 17 May, 2016, 04:43:07 PM
Where does fink angel book fit in

Well, the two early stories about Fink are already included in the Case Files (4 and 6). The two later stories about his son Ratfink will turn up around... well, God knows, something like volume 46 most likely! So you won't see those for a while.

I get the strong impression that Ratfink's due a return to the prog very soon, hence the release of this TPB.
@jamesfeistdraws

CAN1F

So Anderson stories are separate Fink are in the ccf

IndigoPrime

With a few exceptions, anything branded 'Judge Dredd' is in the Case Files. Exceptions are America (in its own trade), annual/special stories (Restricted Files—four books), and licensed fare (Batman/Alien crossovers, again in their own volumes). Judge Anderson first appeared in Dredd (in the first Judge Death story) but in Four Dark Judges was spun off into her own series, which is reprinted in full in the PSI Files. Fink is just a Dredd villain, not really a standalone character, although some of those, too, have been spun off into individual series (such as Mean Machine).

TordelBack

I really dislike Ratfink.  Of all the Angel Gang spin-offs and resurrections, his original strip is the one I care for least.  Great art, but I think his foulness is just a little too real-world for me.

BPP

I thought his introduction story was one of the best things in the strip in ages - atmospheric, grim, building on legacy. The Alan Grant underworld story was pretty ropey tho. Sorry Alan, love you. It was more comic and less atmospheric, cutting against the fact that RF is just foul, vicious and without virtue. The recent Matt Smith 1 shot was pretty much back to full on nihlism even tho RF himself was more a McGuffin than central. Nice for building up to a proper return tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

CAN1F

Rogue Judge

Great chart, thank you for making that! I will definitely use it. (Also checked out your deviantart page - great stuff! Especially that ABC Warriors selfie!)

Max Headroom

Wonder if the Matt Smith story will make it into the 'Fink Angel: Legacy' book? Personally, i'm hoping it is included.