Main Menu

1981 covers

Started by jannerboyuk, 18 May, 2016, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Just seenthe covers comp in the thrill mail. Wow what a year 1981 was. Is this the strongest year ever? Nemesis, rogue trooper, meltdown man, return to Armageddon, strontium dog origin story, Alan moores first story, judge death lives! What a line up. Some of my fave covers ever as well but the best for me is

I assume we've done a retro cover vote before? :)

Dark Jimbo

That is surely one of the best covers to ever grace the prog - I was astounded that it wasn't included in Case files 5!
@jamesfeistdraws

Timothy

It's a fine cover and no mistake. In any other year a sure fire winner. But 1981? Cmon, there's Prog 204 there.

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 18 May, 2016, 07:04:01 PM
It's a fine cover and no mistake. In any other year a sure fire winner. But 1981? Cmon, there's Prog 204 there.
nah 199 is above 204 :)

Colin YNWA

The fact that we're even having this conversation when Prog 239 was one of 1981s cover shows what foolly personal opinion is.

239 is my fav of all time* and while I admit it is indeed a great year for cover that one stands out by a mile.

*I reverse the right to flip flop on this at any time!

jannerboyuk

Jim_Campbell

Bloody hell... a quick scroll through BARNEY's Prog 201-250 batch shows you're quite right. Not a duffer in there, and so very, very many stone cold classics by absolute masters of the medium.

(Mind you, that's sort of indicative of the amazing quality of the comic during this period, IMO. As I've said before: you can take a 100-prog block starting roughly anywhere between 200 and 250 and barely find as much as a dud Future Shock anywhere in a two-year period.)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Michael Knight

1981 was the year I was born so it nice to view these covers!  :)

Link Prime

Quote from: Michael Knight on 18 May, 2016, 09:08:35 PM
1981 was the year I was born

Hang on a sec- you're a child of the 80's????

Michael Knight

I sure am Link Prime why the surprise?  :)

ZenArcade

'cause the rest of us are like a zillion man! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Spikes

Most on here was born in the 80's.
....the 1880's...

But yes, 1981 was a cracking year for the prog. And Dredd annuals!
IMO, the start of the first golden period.

colindean

What an amazing year 1981 was for covers.  I'd have to pick prog 225 as my personal favourite.

sheridan

Quote from: colindean on 19 May, 2016, 12:56:58 AM
What an amazing year 1981 was for covers.  I'd have to pick prog 225 as my personal favourite.

Indeed - though it looks a  little different to how I remember it...

colindean

Quote from: sheridan on 19 May, 2016, 08:51:10 AM
Quote from: colindean on 19 May, 2016, 12:56:58 AM

Indeed - though it looks a  little different to how I remember it...

Now that is a thing of beauty.  Though it makes me sad that they didn't make a Dredd Lego game.