Main Menu

1981 covers

Started by jannerboyuk, 18 May, 2016, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Michael Knight on 18 May, 2016, 09:49:40 PM
I sure am Link Prime why the surprise?  :)

Because you were old enough to drive a talking car back when we were all young enough to buy the prog with pocket money!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Fungus

Best is surely 222?
No, 228.
Double-Bolland 236?
But you may be right about the spaghetti one...

The fact I can do this from memory is the point. What a year.

Michael Knight

:lol: I so want lego Dredd now!

I, Cosh

Quick link: a year in covers.

Some good stuff in there. Hard to pick a winner between 222 & 239
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 May, 2016, 05:31:19 PM
Some good stuff in there. Hard to pick a winner between 222 & 239

No its not. Gooooooooddddd I wish people would just listen to me its 239 - there see eay done it for you!

Tjm86

I'm getting close to 1981 with my prog slog.  Man there is some damn fine stuff there.  1980 was a pretty good year for the tooth in general but '81?  The artist list is the cream of the crop and there are so many iconic covers there.  For me Wilsons' 237 is the prog I remember most strongly.  Always loved the intricacy of his artwork, so technically precise.  That would be my choice.

Toss up between 222 and 239 though?  Yeah, I'd go with 239.

Magnetica

What an absolutely awesome set of covers. Almost all of them are classics and highly memorable.

It is so hard to choose a favourite for me, but some are worth a mention.

First, all the Bolland ones are sublime. I had the 236 poster on my bedroom wall for ages. 224 is just the best dark Judges cover ever....hmmm... well may be not...cause 225 is even better.  Well possibly.

239 the best?  Well I like all those O'Neill Nemesis ones, but 222 takes prize there for me (and ok it is partly because the opening episode of the Nemesis series proper inside that Prog is just so amazing).

217 and 214 because they are for the two best future shocks of all time. Is it me or is it right that we just don't get future shocks making it on to the cover anymore?

228 - it's just so iconic isn't it? But so are 202, 231 and 229.

ming

1981 had a ridiculous number of absolutely bloody jaw-dropping covers but I'll have to go with Prog 230.  It's the perfect example of the period of 2000AD that meant most to me growing up, and still does now. 

Plus, having the original artwork in front of me, I know exactly how much more amazingly detailed and wonderful it is, compared to when printed on bog paper.

Lobo Baggins

Prog 211 for me - because it was my first prog, and I think of it whenever I hear 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen for some reason.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 20 May, 2016, 11:16:02 AM
1981 had a ridiculous number of absolutely bloody jaw-dropping covers but I'll have to go with Prog 230.  It's the perfect example of the period of 2000AD that meant most to me growing up, and still does now. 

Plus, having the original artwork in front of me, I know exactly how much more amazingly detailed and wonderful it is, compared to when printed on bog paper.

Well that's just showing off!

SIP

Magnetica

Looking at these covers again has brought back such happy memories.

Just look at the "decade" of Progs that was the 220s: the first episode of Nemesis, Judge Death Lives, the start of Rogue Trooper.

Just wow!!! Has there been a better run of ten Progs ever?