Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Before Immortals last night I saw an old Hammer Horror earlier in the day.
Revenge of Frankenstein.

So-so. Peter Cushing was as good as ever.

I missed a bit at the end though. I never saw how his [spoiler]first creature died.

And how, after having his brain transplanted into another body, the (not so) good doctor had the same face?[/spoiler]

ming

Only a short, but what a short...  Uncanny Valley.

https://vimeo.com/147365861

Magnetica

Finally saw the The Hunger Games last night (recorded on Film 4 back in August) after I noticed my good buddy Netflix has parts 2 and 3 (thanks to the new "categories" feature).

This completely passed me by at the time, but you know what I really enjoyed it and am now putting my Stargate Universe viewing on hiatus until I watch these. Don't think I will have time to catch up and go and see part 4 whilst it is still at the cinema though....

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 December, 2015, 09:10:29 AM
Finally saw the The Hunger Games last night (recorded on Film 4 back in August) after I noticed my good buddy Netflix has parts 2 and 3 (thanks to the new "categories" feature).

This completely passed me by at the time, but you know what I really enjoyed it and am now putting my Stargate Universe viewing on hiatus until I watch these. Don't think I will have time to catch up and go and see part 4 whilst it is still at the cinema though....

Never liked those films from the start!

Tiplodocus

AFTERSHOCK

Eli Roth and a couple of his mates hit upon the idea of taking some, frankly, stunning Russian super models to Chile for a couple of months and trying to shag them while pretending to make an earthquake disaster movie.

A couple of interesting deaths aside all this has going for it is the order in which people die being not entirely what you expect.

And there is some theme about man being more destructive than the worst of nature. Probably. It's a bit undermined by the "But look at this power of nature!" in the completely telegraphed ending.

I actually enjoyed the first twenty minutes of clubbing and travelogue more than the disaster elements.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 December, 2015, 11:45:21 PM
Eli Roth and a couple of his mates hit upon the idea of taking some, frankly, stunning Russian super models to Chile for a couple of months and trying to shag them while pretending to make an earthquake disaster movie.

I believe he married the lead actress shortly afterwards, so must have been a successful trip.

Modern Panther

Krampus
Enjoyable festive horror fluff, featuring that guy you saw in that thing, that other funny guy, and the woman who was in that show.  Whilst unlikely to win any Oscars, it was as quite fun.  There's a solid anti-materialistic message, encouraging everyone to enjoy the simpler things in life this Xmas period.  But whilst other films with the same message might allow their characters to find sickly sweet redemption, Krampas just wants to punish the selfish bastards forever.

I've often thought it a shame we don't have Krampas celebration s in this country...

Followed by a bit ofHot tub time machine 2
If you love rape jokes, this one's for you.  Utterly, utterly appalling.

Magnetica

Just watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. It was really good, but it just ends. Really just setting up the next one.

Fortunately its waiting for me on Netflix.

ThryllSeekyr

I know I was going to discuss some other films.....

Yet in the mean-time, I want to say somethings about The Lovely Bones and how thought this film was doing the rounds during the Lord of the Rings which lead me to believe there is more than one Peter Jackson, but it wasn't out until 2009. A darker time for me and with this and Heavenly Creatures. What am I supposed to thing him.

Just try to work out this film using what I know from the other films in his filmography or just simply take at face value.

I know I didn't start thinking things like every one of those neighbourhood are filled with many different types of child-molesters, rapists and serial -killers and he that one had to go.

The special effects showing the afterlife as a place that seemed more lively there the place we are in while we're are living. This got me to me thinking of the Spirit-World as parts of it may appear in Werewolf : The Apocalypse (In fact that movie even reminds me of the short story at the beginning of the original Silent-Strider tribe book. Except a Werewolf can walk/run/lope from the real world (The Telleran - It sounds a lot like that word if I'm not spelling it correctly there!) to the world of spirits 9the Umbra it's many other connected realms!) like in this movie some of these world appear to be more alive, more vivid with colour and they do this without having to die in the first place. 

Unlike the girl victim who seemed unable to reach any time in any place that was in sync with hers or to even break through into real world and talk with her folks, mainly because she was supposed to have died, and her spirit trapped on the earthly spirit realm (Penumbra) before she could move on to her rightfull place in Heaven. Something she couldn't do because she had unfinished buisness. She had to do something before her spirit guide, another earlier victim of the same man could help her move on.

Right now, [spoiler] I am thinking he didn't rape and kill her after inviting her into his underground den to have a drink with him Maybe he just raped her and kept her heavily sedated with constant injection of some LSD and or dope [/spoiler]. Until he feel down a embankment after dumping something else in vault-box. I know this is just as bad and/or even worse, but could explain her spirit trip as a drug trip. and she was alive the whole time until he fucked up.[/spoiler]

I'd love to see Peter Jackson tackle a werewolf movie or series such as what I have been interested in. Yet, nobody ever gets these things right. For started all the Saturday morning cartoon stuff needs to be removed from this, otherwise it would be taken seriously.

Hawkmumbler

Trigger warning for anyone wanting to in-spoiler Mayors spoiler. I've never seen The Lovely Bones but I'm honestly not keen in movies using rape as a plot point.

ThryllSeekyr

Either I missed that part or it was dealt with subtly. Really if you see the film, you might not get that impression at all. There's is also the other very serious theme of snatching or luring children and murder. 

Some lady wrote the original story and that is where I read word rape.

Theblazeuk

The Hallow - such a great idea with some effective design but a really ropey execution. Just not anything I'd hoped it would be. Bah.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 December, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 December, 2015, 11:45:21 PM

I believe he married the lead actress shortly afterwards, so must have been a successful trip.

Good work, fella.

I have just watched COWSPIRACY on NETFLIX.

Aside from the documentary maker "having a journey", it's pretty powerful stuff and we'll worth looking into. 

Without researching all of the scientigic studies involved, my gut feeling was that I wish there was a separate planet to which I could banish people that post "But, Mmm! Bacon!" while denying what death, torture and destruction they are inglicting upon animals and our planet.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 December, 2015, 09:22:06 AM
... I wish there was a separate planet to which I could banish people that post "But, Mmm! Bacon!" while denying what death, torture and destruction they are inglicting upon animals and our planet.

Keep at it Tips, you're on the right side of history, and each one of your posts nudges me closer to your PoV.

Professor Bear

Vegetarians invented their own bacon because they could not live in a world without it.  THERE ENDETH THE ARGUMENT.

If Tips really wants to stop people eating bacon, he just has to make sure that the only bacon available to eat comes from my hometown, as the pork fat/edible meat ratio is so skewed towards the former that I am half-convinced that if you wrapped some of our bacon around a bit of string, you could use the end result as a candle.