Main Menu

Something Rogue Troopery in the offing?

Started by Steve Green, 28 February, 2017, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I'll be picking this up - really enjoyed it the first time around.
I thought the mechanics worked really well and even the much derided train level worked for me.

I, Cosh

Never played this the first time around but always heard good things. Nintendo specific for now I take it?

Edited to add: What do you mean, RTFA?!
We never really die.

NapalmKev

Quote from: I, Cosh on 01 March, 2017, 12:49:43 PM
Nintendo specific for now I take it?

The remaster has been announced for all major platforms: ps4/Xbox and PC.

I've never played the game but plenty of people have raved about it so I'll give it a go.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

shaolin_monkey

I absolutely adore this game, and have played through it several times, on PC, Xbox, and Wii.  I cannot wait to play it on PS4!

I loved how you could approach each level trying out different gameplay styles - stealth, run and gun, etc.  The different things to use were great - Gunnar's turret mode, the decoy hologram, the mini mines and so  on.  Just brilliant!  It never got old, and I always found new ways to play.

My favourite version was on the Xbox, just because I found it easier with a controller than a keyboard (though I am well versed in both) - it seemed more fluid somehow.

The Wii version was definitely the worst - some effort had been made to improve the graphics, such as sea and sky effects, but the gameplay was broken by the change to the cover mechanic.  In previous iterations you clicked a button or key to go to cover when next to a wall or bollard or whatever, and click again to come away if I remember correctly. 

However, on the Wii version the game tried to guess when you wanted to pop in and out of cover, and tried to do it for you, making it incredibly clumsy and difficult to play, if you loved the cover mechanic as much as I did.  I only made it through the first four levels, and then gave up in disgust, digging out my old Xbox and playing through it on there.

Unfortunately the game is so old on the PC now it is very difficult to get it running properly on newer OS.  It appears to run well at first, but then you get to the 'on rails' (I believe the first is manning the guns on the Choppa?) part and the framerate drops and eventually crashes.  I did find a fix some time ago, and managed to get another couple of playthroughs out of it, but haven't been back to it in a couple of years.

TLDR:  ROGUE TROOPER ON PS4!!!!  WOOOOOO!!!!   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JaHawkDroid

Just been watching some gameplay from the original and now I am ridiculously excited to pick this up...

gurnard

I loved the original. Played it on a PS2 only game I have every played to the last level. Well looking forward to the new one. And my kid just got a switch so looking forward to it on that. Great news.

Taryn Tailz

The original is certainly one of the best 'Comic book' game adaptations out there. Everything from the soundtrack to the voice acting seemed absolutely bang on.

Proudhuff

This is the one thing that could tempt me back to gameplaying, loved the original. :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Dash Decent

Hopefully they'll fix the pronunciation of "Souther" in this version.   ;)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dash Decent on 29 March, 2017, 01:26:26 PM
Hopefully they'll fix the pronunciation of "Souther" in this version.   ;)

Can't remember how they say it in the game -
what's your preference? SOWTHER (as in South) or SUTHER (as in Southern)?
(obviously the correct answer is the first one)

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Steve Green

Well...

A souther is also used as a term for a wind.

http://www.memidex.com/souther

Pronunciation there has it as in South.

Dandontdare

Steve Green

Proudhuff

Has the GRennie Droid had anything to do with this one?
DDT did a job on me