Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

The Adventurer

QuoteBut that ship has sailed. The numbering WAS altered with progs 2000, 2001, etc.

Those are YEARS. Not issue numbers. 2000 AD Prog 2000 isn't the same thing as 2000 AD #2000. You don't file Prog 2014 after Prog 1949. You file it behind 1862.

You know, unless you're a wild person.

QuoteJust out of interest, why would restarting at volume 2, issue 1 bother people so much?

Because so many other, lesser, publishers thing large numbers scare people. We live in a world where DC has relaunched Action and Detective comics for god's sake. Hell, even Archie caved and relauched Archie at #1! Steamrolling history like that for some small fleeting sales pop doesn't feel like a 2000 AD thing to do. It wears those huge numbers on its sleave and makes things plainly accessible with the Year end progs and jumping on issues.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Fungus

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 September, 2015, 02:22:39 AM
QuoteBut that ship has sailed. The numbering WAS altered with progs 2000, 2001, etc.

Those are YEARS. Not issue numbers.

:o

All's I'm saying is the purity of numbering from 1 up is gone. Rebellion do it too. It's 'prog 2015'. Clunky and unfortunate.

Some progs

Satanist

They should just do away with the prog number and use the issue date. This not only gets rid of the confusion two prog 2000s causes but also stops the arguments on how to pronounce prog.

They could also use the extra space to increase the font size for the price as my local newsie isn't getting any younger.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 17 September, 2015, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 September, 2015, 02:22:39 AM

Those are YEARS. Not issue numbers.

:o

All's I'm saying is the purity of numbering from 1 up is gone. Rebellion do it too. It's 'prog 2015'. Clunky and unfortunate.

Some progs

Wait, are you saying the REAL 2000th 2000AD Prog isn't Prog 2000 or even Prog 2000? It's actually Prog 1985?  Crisis averted, I'd say.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Satanist on 17 September, 2015, 11:03:11 AM
...but also stops the arguments on how to pronounce prog.

There isn't any argument any more is there. I'm pretty sure that the magnificent souls who know its pronounced prog as in Prog Rock, rhythms with bog, or clog drove out the heathen mindless hoard that claimed it was pronounced Prog as in rhythms with rogue or brogue.

I'm fairly sure all that other lot have been smited by now?

James Stacey

There once was a lad wearing brogues
To the newsagent he went for his prog(ue)s
'You mad heathen dog,
Should know it's pronounced Prog'
Said the Newsie, and sent him off on his toes

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 17 September, 2015, 12:09:52 PM
There once was a lad wearing brogues
To the newsagent he went for his prog(ue)s
'You mad heathen dog,
Should know it's pronounced Prog'
Said the Newsie, and sent him off on his toes

Arh I remember your glorious war chant as we charged into battle so very well.

Big_Dave

Quote from: Fungus on 17 September, 2015, 08:41:44 AM

the year end progs are just that years annual
prog 2000 was the first 2000 ad annual since the early 90s
not a proper prog
& they have their own numbering system based on the date

Goaty

Once a 2000AD, always a 2000AD, kept it that way.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Big_Dave on 17 September, 2015, 01:16:34 PM& they have their own numbering system based on the date
Only there's no obvious distinction in that numbering system. So you have the 'Prog 2003' end-of-year and the 'Prog 2003' weekly barreling towards us in the note-too-distant.

IndigoPrime

Interesting. What do you own now, then? I have the DH collections of Scarlet Traces and also the Edginton/D'Israeli WoTW, all of which are fantastic. Thrilled to see it has the possibility of continuing now.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 September, 2015, 03:56:29 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/17/rebellion-buys-up-a-creator-owned-property-for-the-first-time-ian-edginton-and-disraelis-scarlet-traces/

That is great news, Rebellion continuing some of the best of British comics, hopefully they will match the quality and size of the Dark Horse issues.

Ian Edginton said: "'Is Scarlet Traces going to be reprinted?' and 'Is there going to be another series?' are the two questions we're always asked when we do signings and conventions. It pleases me no end to say that I can now give hearty 'yes!' to both. :D

Also found out this on the same page:

series two of Wild's End out this month!

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 September, 2015, 03:56:29 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/17/rebellion-buys-up-a-creator-owned-property-for-the-first-time-ian-edginton-and-disraelis-scarlet-traces/

HA! ever the marketing droid trying to break up our conversations about how to pronounce made up words and the numbering system of a comic with you actual news. Don't think I don't see what you...

... oh hold on BLOODY GREAT NEWS. Love these stories and would be delighted to see more.