Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Old Tankie on 25 February, 2017, 11:43:10 PM
I didn't say it would, I was responding to DDD saying the EU has no control over taxes, it does.
i
I'm not an expert on vat but if that's your only rebuttal against everything I said...

Dandontdare

Actually, I'm trying to imagine a Brexit campaign where the best argument was "Europe controls some aspects of VAT"
If that the only argument left, then we're screwed

Old Tankie

I'll leave it thanks, have a good night.

Dandontdare

Thought so.
I took the time, as others have done, to make detailed cogent arguments for debate and you just come back with one-line pedantic snipes
Goodnight

Goaty

I really hate WUMs on this forum.

Dandontdare

Old Tankie

What are you talking about, I was just trying to sign off in a friendly manner.

Old Tankie

If I have offended you, I apologise, I didn't mean to.

Goaty

Old Tankie

If that is aimed at me, please explain.

GordonR

Quote from: Old Tankie on 26 February, 2017, 01:39:49 AM
If that is aimed at me, please explain.

You:  "The economy's doing great, and I think everything's going to be fine."

Other people:  "Actually, that's not true at all, and here are facts to counter your characteristically trite remarks.  Can you please detail where your facts are coming from?"

You: "Well, I'm tired and said all I'm going to say.  Night, all."

Maybe stuff like this?

Hawkmumbler

Tankers gets his political insight the same place a lot of Leavers do.

Off the side of a bus.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 February, 2017, 09:16:43 AM
Tankers gets his political insight the same place a lot of Leavers do.

Off the side of a bus.

I'm appalled at the referendum result and I have yet to hear a convincing argument for leaving - it's your country of course, not mine, but it's going to make things difficult for us and everyone else too.  And as I've said before, I'm half-English by blood and have lots of family (including my brother and sister) who live in England and it hurts me to see the country voluntarily turn itself into an unwelcoming economic desert.

But I think what people here are doing is pushing Tankie for a reasonable explanation*, in order to understand the Leave vote, rather than dividing the public even further with sweeping generalisations like this.  Sorry, but I just don't think it helps matters one bit.

*and for what it's worth, I think Tankie is a good-natured sort but I'm not satisfied with his answers either.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 February, 2017, 09:40:08 AM
*and for what it's worth, I think Tankie is a good-natured sort but I'm not satisfied with his answers either.

No, neither am I, primarily because the entire Leave campaign was a series of lies, so it's almost impossible for anyone to defend the decision on the basis of facts: most honest Leavers should  just say the idea of foreigners touching their stuff makes them feel queasy and leave it at that.

But I do think Tankie was entitled to head off to bed at 1.30am without being called a stirrer.

Old Tankie

But I have explained my point of view, how many times do I have to say the same thing. I am asked my opinion and I give an honest answer. You disagree, I accept I could be wrong, but it is my honest opinion.

Thanks, TB.