Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Trout on 16 November, 2012, 03:59:09 PM
This whole thread needs a new law: "There is no online political discussion that cannot unexpectedly become even more insane by adding a shark".

FTFY
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Dandontdare

just to clarify, when I said people have died for your right to vote I wasn't talking about the World Wars I was talking about events like the Peterloo massacre, the suffragettes and other examples of the brutal repression by the ruling classes of people who were fighting for the right to be represented.

The Legendary Shark

Ah, I'll let you off, then ;)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Tonight, the BBC are asking us to give them money to help vulnerable children.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Stan

Only after sunset? They wish.

I'm also glad the Lib Dems got, like, totally totalled the other week. UKIP were just 0.4 off them on Merseyside, which is quite a feat in red territory.

SmallBlueThing

Not often i post in this thread, but in this instance i very much want to find out what people think.

A foster couple have had three children removed from their care by the labour-run council 'because they belong to ukip'. Or so the news channels are reporting. Nigel Farage is quite understanably outraged, the whole thing seems an excuse to rant about immigration again, whatever side you're on. I dont see how it can ever be justified to remove children from foster parents based on anything other than direct and provable threat to their safety. I dont care if they're placed with bnp parents or even tory ones, if the kids are physically safe, then that's fine. We cant start removing children from parents who share an ideology we dont like, or the next step is basing it on religious belief- and that way lies madness.

Are we now in a police state?

SBT

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 November, 2012, 10:32:07 AM
Not often i post in this thread, but in this instance i very much want to find out what people think.

A foster couple have had three children removed from their care by the labour-run council 'because they belong to ukip'. Or so the news channels are reporting. Nigel Farage is quite understanably outraged, the whole thing seems an excuse to rant about immigration again, whatever side you're on. I dont see how it can ever be justified to remove children from foster parents based on anything other than direct and provable threat to their safety. I dont care if they're placed with bnp parents or even tory ones, if the kids are physically safe, then that's fine. We cant start removing children from parents who share an ideology we dont like, or the next step is basing it on religious belief- and that way lies madness.

Are we now in a police state?

SBT

The council have tied themselves in knots, saying both that they had to think of the kids' long term needs and that the placement was only ever intended to be for the short term. They've also made it clear there was no problem with the actual care the foster family were providing, so yanking the kids out after eight weeks seems like a gross over reaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20474120

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 November, 2012, 10:32:07 AMWe cant start removing children from parents who share an ideology we dont like, or the next step is basing it on religious belief- and that way lies madness.

I'm sure (okay, I hope) there's more to this than is reported, but yeah it'd be daft - not least because the chain of ideological succession is by no means a strong one. 

Anecdotally, my own dear mother is an embarrassingly appalling racist (even though, as we keep pointing out to her to no avail, she has many non-white, non-Irish, non-Settled friends - it's just all the furriners she's never met that she has a problem with), and occupies ideological ground somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan, but I don't seem to have 'inherited' any of that, and nor have either of my siblings.  Quite the reverse, if anything.

I'd worry more about good diet, voluntary work (which is what they're already doing) and having books in the house.  While I understand the huge responsibilities involved, the whole fostering (and adoption) system often seems (to an outsider) to be driven by arse-covering rather than children's welfare.

SmallBlueThing

Well said. Apple trees do indeed lob their fruit significantly further than you might think- i suffer from parents with, shall we say, "outdated ideologies" too, and im lefter than Lefty McScargill.

Im not sure if this is an inappropriate place to tell this anecdote or not, but it made me laugh. Last week i was waiting for a bus in the rain, and two old ladies were discussing race. One said "i know youre not allowed to call them (lower voice) n*****s anymore. I call them noggers instead. they can't get me for that!"

Sadly, last night on my way to chatham, i witnessed an altogether more horrible bit of racism- as a drunk sat behind a black woman as we pulled into chatham, loudly talking to himself about how wrong it was she was allowed to travel in the same carriage as him. The fact that she was sober, on her way home from work and accepted it all with a wry smile and raised eyebrow, while he quietly ranted behind her makes me think that yes it is. And that he should have been on the roof.

SBT

The Legendary Shark

The UK Column has been investigating the Social Services' treatment of children for a while now with some vigour. Although some of their articles tend towards the frothing, and given the subject matter I can see why, they seem to be adequately researched and, if true, deeply worrying. You can read some of their articles here but I warn you, it may be upsetting information:  http://www.ukcolumn.org/articles/Children

And SBT, we're not quite in a police state yet - but it won't take much to push us all the way.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Stan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 November, 2012, 11:56:39 AM
Sadly, last night on my way to chatham, i witnessed an altogether more horrible bit of racism- as a drunk sat behind a black woman as we pulled into chatham, loudly talking to himself about how wrong it was she was allowed to travel in the same carriage as him. The fact that she was sober, on her way home from work and accepted it all with a wry smile and raised eyebrow, while he quietly ranted behind her makes me think that yes it is. And that he should have been on the roof.

SBT

:)

And yeah, the foster situation is disgusting. Joyce Thacker is unrepentant and needs to be fired or downgraded to toilet cleaner. Is it a Godwin to reference East Germany?

Stan

Maybe not..

"They were told that the local safeguarding children team had received an anonymous tip-off that they were members of UKIP."

You'd think they were goose-stepping up and down their driveway.

SmallBlueThing

All of these problems would be solved very easily and in one generation if everyone was forced to have a five minute interview with me before being allowed to breed.

SBT