Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Currently enjoying Max Payne Quantum Break.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Really enjoyed Quantum Break, I'd taken a couple of days off work for its release because I love Remedy games so much, and for me it didn't disappoint. Might even have been more fun on the second playthrough once I really knew how to dominate a room with the various powers.

Right now I'm playing some Fallout 4 DLC (the Far Harbour stuff, really liking it), and playing through Doom 2. Can't remember if I ever finished it back in the day so feel like I should, and with all the hype about the new game it seemed a good time! I do keep getting lost, the mazey level design now seems really tough to find your way around. Could be years of handholding that's dulled my skills for that though.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

DOOM(2016)

This is my kinda shooter. No regenerating health and no reloading weapons. No cover, no mercy, no plot*. Just senseless slaughter of the denizens of hell. You want health? Murder some demons. You want ammo? Murder more demons! Having trouble with an enemy? Protip: Shoot it until it dies!

This game escews realism for fun gameplay. Take the chainsaw as an example. One shot-one kill weapon, with limted uses. Killing enemies with it sprays ammo out of their guts like Tarantinoesque eviscera. You're tempted to save it for when you need it, but it gives you a sarisfying kill while topping up your ammo. Play the game, you'll see how clever little things like this are.

*There's a bit early on where a pre-recorded message attmpts to explain what's going on. You punch that screen and just keep killing.

You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Earth Defense Force 2025 - low maintenance arcade shooter where you play a nameless soldier on the frontline of an invasion of Earth by giant insects, Martian tripods, giant robots, Godzilla-sized spiders and wasps, aircarft-carrier-sized Transformers, and bizarre Lovecraftian constructs.  Basically this is what you'd get if mid-80s heavy metal album covers were interactive.
Not big or clever, but fun if you like your shooters uncomplicated enough to play after you've got in from the pub.

Goaty

So I finally buy Just Cause 3 for PC. and it is really brilliant, first time with wingsuit, wooow!!!!

radiator

QuoteThis is my kinda shooter. No regenerating health and no reloading weapons.

I honestly don't understand the animosity certain gamers have for regenerating health. To my mind it streamlines the FPS experience and promotes a more fun, dynamic type of gameplay whilst also handily removing the potential of getting hopelessly stuck in an unwinnable situation. It doesn't make a game inherently easier - it simultaneously empowers the player and makes them feel more vulnerable, and makes the player avatar vs the enemy NPCs feel more like a fair fight, whereas I would always feel like an invincible Terminator playing old school FPS shooters.

The old system of health packs always seemed to come down to a war of attrition kind of dynamic, and seems so antiquated to me now. It's one of the only things that makes an otherwise timeless classic like Half Life 2 feel so dated.

Professor Bear

Dead Space - a lot of rough edges, the close-in third person view is kind of annoying, and the story is one of those "I bet that character isn't really there" kinds of predictable and linear to the point I was wondering why bother with "proper"actors to deliver these perfunctory lines to the protagonist, but all in all a decent enough riff on the 3D Metroid template.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 June, 2016, 08:18:58 PM
Dead Space - a lot of rough edges, the close-in third person view is kind of annoying, and the story is one of those "I bet that character isn't really there" kinds of predictable and linear to the point I was wondering why bother with "proper"actors to deliver these perfunctory lines to the protagonist, but all in all a decent enough riff on the 3D Metroid template.

I gave up on the first. The second and the third were excellent though.

The third has an excellent co-op section, where one player is going insane and sees stuff that the other doesn't. The insane guy sees all kind of batshit crazy stuff and has monsters attacking from all angles. The sane guy sees his co-op buddy seemingly flip and start shooting the empty air.

Played on headphones, where the insane guy starts freaking and asking for help, this has been one of my all time greatest moments of gaming genius
Lock up your spoons!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 16 June, 2016, 05:39:10 PM

I honestly don't understand the animosity certain gamers have for regenerating health. To my mind it streamlines the FPS experience and promotes a more fun, dynamic type of gameplay whilst also handily removing the potential of getting hopelessly stuck in an unwinnable situation. It doesn't make a game inherently easier - it simultaneously empowers the player and makes them feel more vulnerable, and makes the player avatar vs the enemy NPCs feel more like a fair fight, whereas I would always feel like an invincible Terminator playing old school FPS shooters.

The old system of health packs always seemed to come down to a war of attrition kind of dynamic, and seems so antiquated to me now. It's one of the only things that makes an otherwise timeless classic like Half Life 2 feel so dated.

I don't think regenerating health is a bad mechanic in and of itself. One of my favourite shooters is Halo, if that game didn't invent it, it definitely popularized it. Although... I think it has become a bit of a crutch. With regenerating health there's a bit of a temptation to hide in a corner until your health recovers. Doom, on the other hand, encourages you to murder demons to regain health. Yes, there are prerendered executions, but they are brief and don't break the flow.

I don't think health packs are better than regenerating health, or vice versa. I just think Doom makes a nice change from the duck and cover rut into which FPSes seem to have fallen. It's about fast paced run'n'gunning. Regenerating health behind chest high walls would break the game's flow. Basically any game mechanic depends on how it's implemented. Regenrating health doesn't work for Doom, health packs don't work for Halo. Games are good when they're not following a formula.
You may quote me on that.

Theblazeuk

I really liked Half Life's medstations and HEV chargers.

radiator

Quote from: Mister Pops on 17 June, 2016, 01:34:41 AM
Quote from: radiator on 16 June, 2016, 05:39:10 PM

I don't think regenerating health is a bad mechanic in and of itself. One of my favourite shooters is Halo, if that game didn't invent it, it definitely popularized it. Although... I think it has become a bit of a crutch. With regenerating health there's a bit of a temptation to hide in a corner until your health recovers. Doom, on the other hand, encourages you to murder demons to regain health. Yes, there are prerendered executions, but they are brief and don't break the flow.

I don't think health packs are better than regenerating health, or vice versa. I just think Doom makes a nice change from the duck and cover rut into which FPSes seem to have fallen. It's about fast paced run'n'gunning. Regenerating health behind chest high walls would break the game's flow. Basically any game mechanic depends on how it's implemented. Regenrating health doesn't work for Doom, health packs don't work for Halo. Games are good when they're not following a formula.

Fair enough - good points all. I was just curious seeing as bashing regenerating health can often be a kind of knee-jerk response from a certain type of gamer. You're very right in that both can be implemented badly, and not every game can pull it off as well as Halo.

I suppose one of my main complaints with the old system is that it often led to having to backtrack and scour levels for health packs, which kills the pacing and was almost never fun in an action game. It sounds like the new Doom has found a way around this (ISTR the underrated WH40K: Space Marine had a similar mechanic).

QuoteI really liked Half Life's medstations and HEV chargers.

Whereas I thought they represented two overly fussy, old-fashioned gameplay mechanics for the price of one.

GordyM

Unravel.

I love weird and 'arty' platformers (Ico, Limbo, Tearaway etc) so this was a joy to play through and happy to recommend for fans of such things.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2016, 06:10:06 PM
QuoteI really liked Half Life's medstations and HEV chargers.

Whereas I thought they represented two overly fussy, old-fashioned gameplay mechanics for the price of one.

I just enjoyed remembering rationing out the resource as I popped around the labs and getting jumped a couple of times whilst charging up in an area I hadn't cleared out.

Goaty

Anyone playing Dying Light? I wonder as there special offer on it, but I get bored after Dead Island, is it same?

NapalmKev

Quote from: Goaty on 01 July, 2016, 09:11:10 PM
Anyone playing Dying Light? I wonder as there special offer but I get bored after Dead Island, is it same?

It is very much the same in most regards. Small differences being: the climbing mechanics are much better and the game is quite a bit harder.

Cheers

Edit: "quite a bit harder" I seem to have surpassed myself with this description. Fucking hell!
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"