Main Menu

Trying to remember the title

Started by Tjm86, 15 August, 2015, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Hi all,
this is probably a long shot but I'm trying to remember the title of a novel I read back in the early eighties.  It was a children's love about life after some sort of crisis, I think the end of oil.  In the novel the father had been expecting the crisis and had set about stockpiling food in a hidden room.  It was this stockpile that made the family into a target.  I think it had the word 'castle' in the title but I wouldn't want to put money on it.  I know it isn't Man in the High Castle.

Any thoughts? :-*
Cheers

Third Estate Ned

I can't believe you want to know exactly the thing that's been hauting me for bloody years! I've never been able to remember the title but I had thought it contained the word "Ark". I read it as part of my GCSE coursework along with Brother in the Land. If it's the same book you mean, the dad had a pistol hidden in a tin of oil to ward off eventual thieves and he saw this as rational, upsetting his daughter. I also remember there being hyperinflation, with a can of tuna costing an exorbitant amount.

I hope someone can remember for us because I think about it so often it drives me mad.

Dash Decent

It's called Noah's Castle (by John Rowe Townsend) and Southern made a bloody great TV series of it.  The mournful theme music was by Jugg.

Link to DVD at Amazon UK: Click!

The book seems to be out of print but you can pick up a second hand copy from ABEbooks.com (Click!)

Otherwise you could browse the kindle edition (Click!) to see if I'm on the money.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

Fantastic, that was it.  I had Noah in the back of my mind again but kept locking in to "last flight of Noah's Ark".  The copy I read had a cover from the TV series but I never actually saw it.  Might be tempted.

Third Estate Ned

Aah, Noah, that's why I thought it had Ark in the title. That's brilliant, Dash Decent.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.