Main Menu

facebook help?

Started by Tiplodocus, 08 September, 2015, 12:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Is there a setting that I can use so that I don't see when friends comment on other people's stuff (who I am not friends with). Can I tailor it to JUST taht one friend or will it impact all?

TL: DNR version
A friend of a friend keeps posting the most dreadful islamophobic shite under the guise of being concerned about christians and jews. She comments on it and I see it.
I really don't have the time, energy or smarts to go the source and challenge this person.
I should probably just unfriend her (her religous views also make her more than a little homophobic) but still have to see her and hubby and child in real social situations. 
So, for now, ignoring it is my preferred option.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 September, 2015, 12:18:36 PM
I should probably just unfriend her (her religous views also make her more than a little homophobic) but still have to see her and hubby and child in real social situations. 
So, for now, ignoring it is my preferred option.

You can 'unfollow' someone, which means you'll still appear on their Friends list (and vice versa) but you won't see anything they post. There used to be an option where you wouldn't see posts by non-friends that friends have commented on, but FB got rid of it.

(I intensely dislike the fact that conversations between my FB friends and people I don't know appear in my newsfeed. It feels intrusive.)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2015, 12:25:17 PM
(I intensely dislike the fact that conversations between my FB friends and people I don't know appear in my newsfeed. It feels intrusive.)

Thanks. Me too. It's a bit like; there's a party going on over there - and you aren't invited...

Satanist

I'm not on facebook so cant help but have wanted to say this somewhere that would get your attention. My mate saw a photo of you at one of his friends house and remembered you from Jaws 3. Small world eh?

Apparently his brother in law is mates with your brother.

Anyway back on topic. Islam good/bad, discuss.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

What is this Book of Faces to which you refer?

Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 September, 2015, 12:28:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2015, 12:25:17 PM
Thanks. Me too. It's a bit like; there's a party going on over there - and you aren't invited...
I really hate this for the opposite reason. I am quite careful about what I share with who and have a whole load of overlapping custom lists to facilitate this. In addition, as in real life, I speak quite differently to some friends than I do to to others (I don't often call my aunties a bunch of daft cunts in the same way as I would the guys I was on a stag do with last month for example) so it really gets my goat that this can be so easily sabotaged by FB's own promotional algorithms.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Satanist on 08 September, 2015, 01:28:35 PM
I'm not on facebook so cant help but have wanted to say this somewhere that would get your attention. My mate saw a photo of you at one of his friends house and remembered you from Jaws 3. Small world eh?

Apparently his brother in law is mates with your brother.

Oh yeah, that would be Big Al, head of the Monkey-Tron Collective. He mentioned that. It was JAWS: The Revenge.  I think I once started a thread about Boarders and Six Degrees of Separation but it quickly turned into "I went for a piss next to celebrity Y" thread.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 September, 2015, 09:17:34 AMI think I once started a thread about Boarders and Six Degrees of Separation ...
Yer maw was more than six degrees separated when, etc...
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?