Main Menu

Ever got banned from an internet forum or any other group?

Started by JTurner, 29 July, 2002, 07:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny-Mek

No, it's a website that works a bit like a Tamagochi. Over 4million users worlwide, and I annoyed most of them with "Jennymech's hourly sports round-up!"

Trout

That's pretty funny, actually.

The Trout, being evil by definition, approves of thoughtless behaviour as a point of principle.

Just don't do it here, where it will annoy real people.

Talking of Mr Scott J Nestel, he said on Yahoo my "king gag" isn't funny.

Gag? I don't understand. But I'm glad he's banned now.

- The Evil King

Oddboy

He totally wrong!  Your royal hankachief is a most amusing item when bound over your mouth.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Marbles

Is that his real name then ? Has there been any noticeable improvement in behaviour ??
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Trout

"Has there been any noticeable improvement in behaviour ??"

Not that I've seen.

Wake, how the hell does he keep ending up in the chatroom?

He turned up again last night and was on the borderline between annoying and offensive, IMO.

Nothing nasty to report, but look at the log. He came close.

And Oddboy, how many times does the Trout have to sentence you to death before he gets respect?

It's a good job it amuses me to have you around.

SHOUT "MOO" AND THE TROUT WILL DISAPPROVE! -- ALL HAIL!

Wake

Scojo has not been banned from the IRC chat room. He has been banned from the database and simple chat rooms and this board.

Since I can't easily get a log from the IRC chat you'll have to copy and paste any evidence of his misbehaviour into an email to me.

I'm more than ready to extend his ban to the IRC chat if he can't behave himself there. I have been cutting him a little slack in the Yahoo group since it's a fan list rather than an official list. However, if (when?) he does cross my arbitrary line I'll stop him posting on that list with no further chances.

Wake

Trout

Nah, Wake, it wasn't a big deal.
I wouldn't want to ask for a ban, even for him.

He was just doing his "kiss kiss" comments thing and at one point came close to making a comment about someone being gay, although I couldn't be sure.

He mentioned the names of two 2K writers, followed by "..." and I had a strange precog feeling that something like "up a tree" was coming next. I may have been wrong.

As I say, it was minor. It was only me he annoyed and, as usual, ignoring him made him go away.

- Trout

Art

Lately Scojo seems to have gotten into sending weird messages to directly to peoples email addresses, presumably because just about every messageboard, email list, chatroom or means of mass internet communication has banned him by now.

I've blocked the little twerp now, but I did find it mildly irritating at the time.

Rambo

Yeah, for slagging off Americans. Touchy bastards.

Matt

Isn't it time we let Scojo back on the board? I think the guy has served his sentence & in a wierd sort of way I miss his presence here. He was always guaranteed to raise a smile on a dull friday afternoon with his inane rants. What do you say, or am I going to get slated by you lot for even suggesting this?

Wake

Anyone who thinks Scojo should be allowed back should vote on the relevant poll.

The current votes are 12% Yes, 65% No and 23% If he can behave elsewhere.

Wake

Link: Do you think scojo should be 'unbanned' and return

Matt

Just reading through the threads again & I'm amazed that it's deemed funny to post a picture of a kid with disabilities but an almost banning offence to hint that someone is gay with "kiss kiss' comments. That's the problem with trying to filter out material that's considered offence, someone has to draw the line at some point at what is acceptable but it's difficult for everyone to agree where that line should be. Personally I'm not going to be drawn on the PC arguement but if we are going to put pictures of disabled kids up on the board for people to laugh at then we might as well let Scojo back on the board. However far he went in the past, he never went that far.

Art

Since he's since proved that he can't behave elsewhere is that last 23% effectively a no vote?

The Amstor Computer

Scojo consistently insulted board members, Rebellion staff & 2000AD droids - driving both fans *and* writers/artists away. That alone, leaving aside the childish nonsense about his scripts, is usually enough to get someone kicked from a message board.

He had more than enough chances, and his behaviour in the chat room was apparently the last straw. Having seen what he's been like in other forums - the Yahoo group esp. - I see no reason why he should be allowed back here.

The PC argument is a non-starter - it has nothing to do with why Scojo was banned or why he should or should not be allowed to return.

Oddboy

With regards to the "un-PC" picture:

(i) the picture of the disabled kid wasn't what was being laughed at - the butt of that joke was people who argue over the internet.
(ii) the joke itself wasn't the picture, but the play on words.  The photo was only to add emphasis to the words.

My conclusion (IMHO): if you were laughing at the picture because you found the image to be funny, rather than the joke to be funny, it says more about you then it does the person who displayed it.

Yes, it may cause offence anyway, but it wasn't posted on this message board - it was only seen by following a link which expressly stated that it may cause offence.

Better set your phaser to stun.