Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

The folk over at the Ordnance Survey seem to have some time on their hands. Here's their new map. Of Mars...

It's beautiful. I love it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

While there certainly seems to be something wrong with the system of publishing science journals, I don't think this is the way to fix it.

(I think it's quite telling that, in the article there's an interview with a guy who represent the publishers and when asked why they don't pay for the articles they print he says " it sounds like a compelling argument, but it isn't".  He then gives no explanation as to why it isn't!). 

This woman seems to have used nefarious means to steal passwords, then given free access to works without the permission of the original author.

The justification that since research is state funded all results should be free could easily be expanded to justify any sort of theft - I was educated at the taxpayers expense, therefore anything I use that education for belongs to everyone, without my consent.

Dandontdare

Fascinating story about the oldest human construction ever found - over 175,500 years old http://gu.com/p/4jhhy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other.

Can you still call it "human" if it's Neanderthal? What do our resident bone-botherers think?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 May, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
Fascinating story about the oldest human construction ever found - over 175,500 years old http://gu.com/p/4jhhy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other.

Can you still call it "human" if it's Neanderthal? What do our resident bone-botherers think?
I think the general consensus is that, providing it falls into the Homo (settle down at the back!) genus, then it constitues "Human".

TordelBack

S'all just words, innit? Our genus is Homo, our species H.sapiens sapiens, only surviving member of that genus (and indeed family): human is really just an informal term.  All this stuff has changed several times in recent decades, but we normally distinguish between 'hominins' (the whole family, back to our common ancestor with chimps), 'humans' (back as far as 2.5mya+) and 'anatomically modern humans' (200kya+), Neanderthals certainly qualify for the middle group, so definitely human.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

It's probably just a reflection from the foil hat Trump keeps under his hair.

IAMTHESYSTEM

ET phone's home, mis dials and gets the Emperors Space Marines? Bound to end unhappily and this is probably just something that's been mistaken for something else.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

I know, I know. Some day we'll find that sodding ringworld / Dyson sphere.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Still, at least they've found an Earth-like (?) Planet orbiting in the habitable zone of Proxima B. The universe is filling up...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]