Main Menu

Panini alternative

Started by I, Cosh, 31 May, 2014, 11:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Sorry to disappoint anyone looking for something to top the toast thread but I'm actually talking about World Cup football stickers.

I know, I know. Bloody football. We're not interested. Blah blah blah. Well, I'm not the biggest fan myself, but I an interested in art and collecting useless shit.

So, in the local comic chop, I came across this this pretty smart alternative World Cup sticker collection. Instead of dreary pictures of preening, overpaid poltroons each team is drawn by a different artist in some very varied styles.

From Thomas Schilcher's Ivory Coast sketches:

via Michael Allocca's stained glass Spain which reminds me of that great Low Life cover:

to Rudolfo Bispo's terrifying vision of the Portugal team being sent to Titan:

all the way out to the duality of Timea Olah's Algeria. I'm sure there were bits of Fetish that looked like this:

So, there you have it. The comic shop is one of a number of places which have regular swap meets for collectors and I saw people of all ages happily rifling through their doublers last Saturday. There was original art for sale and everything.

More info on the whole project here: http://www.tschuttiheft.li/
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Got
Got
Got
Want
Got
Got
DESPERATE

Fungus

Very very nice.
The comic habit isn't enough, you'd like to inveigle the hard stuff? Damn pushers.

'sent to Titan' ☺

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 May, 2014, 11:49:20 PM
...Rudolfo Bispo's terrifying vision of the Portugal team being sent to Titan...

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

i hate it when you get the grilled ones but the filling is still cold, WTF!
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

The new World Cup sticker album is shit quality of the highest order. The stickers are smaller and no its not that my hands are bigger they are deffo smaller. The Album has very thin paper stock and not enough info on teams and players.

Oh and a shiny is worth 5 normal.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Hawkmumbler

Satanist

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 June, 2014, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: Satanist on 05 June, 2014, 06:55:00 PM

You mug! :lol:

This was not meant as a genuine offer but as a lighthearted reference to school days. I suggest you take your doublers and insults elsewhere.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Satanist on 06 June, 2014, 04:30:39 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 June, 2014, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: Satanist on 05 June, 2014, 06:55:00 PM

You mug! :lol:

This was not meant as a genuine offer but as a lighthearted reference to school days. I suggest you take your doublers and insults elsewhere.

Fuck you. My album is complete. Sticky your shinies up your arse.  ;)

I, Cosh

Has it really been two years? Blimey.

Anyway, the Euro 2016 version doesn't have anything quite as out there as the voodoo doll Italy team of the World Cup album, but here's a quick overview of every team from my doubler collection.

Obviously, Robo-Hunter style national stereotypes are fair game with Martin O'Neill quaffing a Guinness and the Romanians appearing as comedy vampires.

Closest to 2000AD are the vaguly Simon Davis portraits of Poland and the Albanian with Jigsaw Disease.

Enjoy.

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

They're pretty cool. Where did you discover them?

amines2058

The rather phallic Ukranian (?) sticker is a bit disturbing  :lol:

Fungus

Quote from: amines2058 on 17 June, 2016, 07:45:20 AM

Is that a thumbnail sketch?

Mattofthespurs

Still need 150 to complete my book and the tournament is well under way  :'(

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 June, 2016, 06:27:16 AM
They're pretty cool. Where did you discover them?
First saw them in they local comic shop at the last World Cup. It's published by the same people who make the Swiss equivalent of When Saturday Comes but I think the stickers are popular all over the German speaking nations. http://www.tschuttiheftli.de/

Quote from: Fungus on 17 June, 2016, 07:52:01 AM
Quote from: amines2058 on 17 June, 2016, 07:45:20 AM
Is that a thumbnail sketch?
Ha! Up close they're more like fingers (or asparagus) than cocks.

We never really die.