Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuffsteruk

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 08 September, 2012, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: NikolaiDante on 08 September, 2012, 01:03:48 PM
I did find myself cringing when the bad guy picked up Anderson's gun as I KNEW what was going to happen when he pulled the trigger - and it did. I could tell that came as a surprise to some of the audience!

I thought this part was excellently done.
Too many films have to explain things in detail and then you wait till later in the film for that thing to happen.
Dredd didn't treat the audience as stupid and let the film tell you these things.

Did he actually die?I know Anderson kicked the shit out of him, but don't recall seeing him after that.I guess he may have bled to death?

Dirty Sanchez

I got the impression she broke his neck with that kick.

chuffsteruk

radiator

It's not doing too well from the sounds of it, an average of 20-30 people per screen is very worrying indeed.

It's probably partly due to the hot weather, which is a real shame. Really, really hope it picks up over the week...

Diminished Responsibility

I saw the movie last night, I had a motley collection of mates along for the ride, ten of us in all, and views varied from great to garbage, just goes to show you can't win em all.

First, what I didn't like... 3D, I would have been much happier if the only scenes in 3D were the SLO-MO scenes, because it added nothing to the experience for the majority of the movie and I actually thought it detracted from it at times.  (One of my group said that the 3D in Prometheus was no better so I guess it's just a medium that isn't working).  Also, two of the group went home immediately afterwards with headaches.  Next viewing will be in 2D, and I really hope The Hobbit has 2D showings because I'm simply done with the format.

The future America is a mouldy corridor.  Too much time walking the samey, bland halls of Peach Trees. Blade Runner had a similar run down vibe, while still giving more life to each scene, but this is a budget issue so I'm giving it a pass, 

And I think that's the niggles out the way, although the 3D was a fucking huge niggle.

As for everything else, for me they pretty much nailed it, a day in the life story of the worlds grumpiest civil servant . You really do get a feeling that this is what Dredd does every day. It must suck. Urbans chin was acting its little whiskers off, great stuff. Each downturn of the lips, each mocking sneer showed how little he actually thinks of what has become of the human race, so just like a bureaucrat then.  :lol:

Props too to Lex who got a positively Shakespearean performance out of his own chin.

I also liked how Dredd took that bullet, I doubt it was his first, and knew it was coming but the reaction felt true. not one of those ridiculous superhero moments, genuinely human. Talking of genuine, the point where Dredd helps Anderson with her own bullet holes was quite touching, really nice little moment.

Anderson was excellent, and like Kay, I wouldn't mind a bit more time with her.  :o

Ma-Ma was dead ages ago, thats how it feels. Bored, laconic, empty. She's living for the the drug high, or to inflict some pain. There just seems to be nothing else left of her. Nicely done.

The problem of filming the helmets seemed unfounded, in fact I thought the one size fits all issue worked in their favour, gave them quite a motley look, nothing preened and perfect about these judges.

The Lawmaster really worked too, especially when compared to Stallones' top heavy mopeds, wobbling down the road at 5mph. This Lawmaster was quick and vicious, nipping in and out of traffic hot on the heels of the perps. And I didn't mind the old school vehicles either. In fact if the world is just recovering from a nuclear war (as it appears in this early incarnation of Mega City 1) I guess the easiest and cheapest is what you make.  They all sounded electric though, so props to trying to save what's left of the environment. Or maybe They just don't have the gas to guzzle any more.

The SLO-MO was beautiful, I would have liked a whole lot more of it. And if it had been the only 3D element, it would have stood out so much better.

This is the first movie I have followed with such interest, it was worrying feeling so invested. I was particularly worried how the group would react (they were there in the most part because I sold it to them, plus I throw a mean after show party), especially 15 minutes in when the 3D really started to annoy, but the worry was unfounded, only one of the group thought ill of the film as a whole, everyone else really liked the film, liked the story, and liked the character of Judge Dredd.

And I loved it, and I want more, a lot more.

"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Michaelvk

The flying bits of hand, bone and blood resulted in a 'coooooaaahahahah' from the (small) audience.. (I remember them doing the tests for that, trying to figure out how to not actually kill the actor..) I had to smile.. What made me giggle involuntarily was the perp getting his head blown off outside an elevator..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

Quote from: radiator on 08 September, 2012, 03:04:05 PM
It's not doing too well from the sounds of it, an average of 20-30 people per screen is very worrying indeed.

It's probably partly due to the hot weather, which is a real shame. Really, really hope it picks up over the week...

Hope so.

There was an England match last night as well, and I know a few people wait for things like Orange Wednesday.

I don't know if many people see something straight after work on a Friday anyway - Sat/Sun is a bigger indicator.

radiator

I'm going along tomorrow night, should be between 4 and 10 of us, depending on who wants to come.

Fingers crossed we're going to see it at the Vue in Islington, they're showing it on their 'Xtreme' screen, which is bloody massive according to my girlfriend.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote from: radiator on 08 September, 2012, 03:12:52 PMbloody massive according to my girlfriend.

Well they will say things like that to keep us happy

darnmarr

hazy efc

I myself was moved when dredd was shot by lex but i was thinking when dredd is slumped on the floor and lex is about to finish him off dredd tells lex to wait or something like that and then lex who i thought was great even though i wanted dredd to get up and kick his ass starts to mock dredd the ? is how did dredd no anderson was gunna save his ass i dont think he did so why tell him to wait dredd dont beg for mercy or was he  :|

Steve Green

Well Anderson's a psychic, and she starts to read his mind at the beginning...

Spikes

Yeah, that was may reading of it as well, that she was able to 'tell' Dredd she was on her way.

Stella Dave

Seen it. loved it! Whoever made the trailer should be shot! Talk about giving it away!!
Why "F**K" and no "DROKK" though??

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: hazy efc on 08 September, 2012, 03:32:06 PM
I myself was moved when dredd was shot by lex but i was thinking when dredd is slumped on the floor and lex is about to finish him off dredd tells lex to wait or something like that and then lex who i thought was great even though i wanted dredd to get up and kick his ass starts to mock dredd the ? is how did dredd no anderson was gunna save his ass i dont think he did so why tell him to wait dredd dont beg for mercy or was he  :|

Telling Lex to wait would have been the only option left for him to buy extra time. Why not tell him to wait. It's likely that he did see Anderson entering the room and being as Dredd  more than likely knows Lex, he also anticipated him taking that crucial time to gloat.