Main Menu

The one or the 4? Hive mind guide me

Started by Devons Daddy, 17 January, 2014, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

Offer guidance the xbox one or the PS4
As Devons Mummy will state either or not both...

Titan falls and Halo have an edge for me at this point. So leaning to the ONE.
Live is big part of our game playing if that offers any strength either way

Show the path mighty board.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

NapalmKev

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 17 January, 2014, 12:32:56 PM
Offer guidance the xbox one or the PS4
As Devons Mummy will state either or not both...

Titan falls and Halo have an edge for me at this point. So leaning to the ONE.
Live is big part of our game playing if that offers any strength either way

Show the path mighty board.

I've played on xbox one and it is a fine piece of kit.*

I haven't played on PS4 yet.

Cheers

*Bring on Left 4 Dead 3!
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

I have a PS4 and I'm a very happy customer. The controller is up there with the very best that I've used and I find it particularly useful that you can feed all PS4 audio (whether you're playing a game or watching a film) through an ordinary pair of headphones plugged into the PS4 controller.

I don't really play online much at all. I have NFS Rivals which has seemless online functionality intergrated into the main campaign and it works well.
I know XBox Live is the standard by which all others are judged though and I think, if you play online a lot, then this is the area you need to research.

Pete Wells

I've got both and at the minute the Xbone is winning it for me. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were both fantastic where as Kill Zone kinda isn't. I got AC4 and COD on my xbox which was a little unfair as the PS4 has just been sitting sulking since Christmas.

However, I know nowt and in a recent IGN poll, the PS4 walloped the xbox one in all categories and the PS4 has sold a million more units.

This has been an unhelpful post by Pete Wells :D

CheechFU

Neither.
I'd wait a few months until the consoles have what I like to call "more than six games" and then be all like "I have to pay to play online against a maximum of 16 people???????" and just use my pc instead which is just like a console but is what I like to call "much better".
Titanfall is basically call of duty so I'm totally stoked for not ever playing that
Who cares about Halo when I can absolutely not play destiny instead

sometimes it's hard not to be an elitist pc jerk
ps4 is probably the best option because I flipped a coin plus ps+ deals (when there are more than six games) and bonus things are always better than anything microsoft offers

Is the PS4 as versatile as the PS3 when it comes to video file playback?

Keef Monkey

I went XB1 personally. I know people who went PS4 and are having a great time with it, but I've spent a lot of time with both and I much prefer all the front-end interaction on the XB1 over the PS4. I also find the game DVR a lot snappier and way easier to use spontaneously, and crucially, the Microsoft exclusives are far more appealing to me both at launch and later in the year. PS4 is indeed outselling it, but given how much bad press Microsoft are still trying to reverse (a lot of people still think the original DRM policies are in place and that PS4 is the only place they can play pre-owned games) I'd expect it to catch up. The fact their launch was as successful as it was given the backlash they got at the announcement stage shows just how strong a position they're in I reckon.

I'd heartily recommend going for the XB1 myself, but whatever you go for I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

CheechFU

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 January, 2014, 09:28:41 AM
I went XB1 personally. I know people who went PS4 and are having a great time with it, but I've spent a lot of time with both and I much prefer all the front-end interaction on the XB1 over the PS4. I also find the game DVR a lot snappier and way easier to use spontaneously, and crucially, the Microsoft exclusives are far more appealing to me both at launch and later in the year. PS4 is indeed outselling it, but given how much bad press Microsoft are still trying to reverse (a lot of people still think the original DRM policies are in place and that PS4 is the only place they can play pre-owned games) I'd expect it to catch up. The fact their launch was as successful as it was given the backlash they got at the announcement stage shows just how strong a position they're in I reckon.

I'd heartily recommend going for the XB1 myself, but whatever you go for I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

Is the kinect as totally integral as microsoft want me to believe or can you just unplug it and throw it in the bin?

Keef Monkey

You can just unplug it, it isn't essential to run the thing. You can still just navigate everything with the pad or smartglass.

To be honest though that would be a shame because the new Kinect is fantastic, and I say this as someone who hated the Kinect on 360. It's not perfect, and occasionally I have to repeat myself (usually if there are other people talking in the room or I've not left a gap between my conversation and my command) but it's well worth it for the convenience it adds.

I can walk into my living room, say "Xbox On", the console, my TV and my AV amp will all power up simultaneously, then the Kinect will recognize me and log my profile in. It's very, very cool. Same thing goes for switching it all off, I used to have to pick up 3 remotes to shut everything down at night and now I just tell it to turn off and it sorts the rest.

Can also more or less navigate something like Netflix without ever touching a remote (you can't search Netflix with your voice yet, but if you're just picking up something on the front screen like your recently watched history or whatever then Kinect makes that super easy).

A bit annoying that you can't make selections on DVD/Blu-ray menus with Kinect at the moment, you have to use a controller to navigate the menu and start the film, but once it's playing being able to pause, play, rewind and adjust volume with your voice is really useful. Plus, anything I can't do with my voice I just grab my phone which is usually to hand and use the smartglass app, works a treat.

So I'm a Kinect convert, and I definitely didn't expect to be!

Pete Wells

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 January, 2014, 12:05:28 PM
So I'm a Kinect convert, and I definitely didn't expect to be!

Yep, me too. I'm surprised how lazy it's made me become, I'm outraged when I have to actually turn things on my my own finger!

Darren Stephens

My PS4 is due to arrive tomorrow. Any other folks got one? My PSN ID is Dikiminster, feel free to add me.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

Yes I have one. I'll try to remember to add you next time I'm on.
I've been playing Infamous Second Son this weekend. It's fun enough but hasn't blown me away. Black Flag is still my favourite!
I'm really looking forward to Watch Dogs and this really fun looking run and gun game: http://mercenarykings.com

Professor Bear

Because of the higher screen resolution and processing power PS4 is probably the way to go, as despite acquiring some early exclusives, Microsoft have already admitted their long-term strategy is geared less towards gaming and more making XB1 a media hub, hence the more reliable streaming services (though there's supposedly issues with the XB1 Netflix client) coupled with no native media playback to lock you into using the paid-for services - no cds, mp3s or video files will play on either machine, and dvd playback was terrible on both - especially if like me you have plenty of older tv shows on dvd with dodgy resolution and 4:3 picture formats - though the recent 1.61 firmware update has cleared-up those issues on PS4.

Considering I only turn the PS4 on once a week to use the iplayer, I would suggest waiting until either machine becomes as reliable an all-rounder as their predecessors.  I know some are willing to forgive because it's "early days", but balls to that - at this price I want something at least as good as the machine it's supposed to be replacing and I want it that good out of the box and not two years after I've paid for it.  Neither machine is there yet, as right now - apart from games - they don't do anything your phone doesn't and your phone has a higher-res camera.  I wouldn't be swayed by the bells-and-whistles stuff like voice-control, either, as I told my PS4 to "turn on my PS3 and then fuck off out of my house" but it did neither.

NapalmKev

Will finally be getting a new console tomorrow along with Black Ops 3. As stated earlier, I've played the Xbox one and it is a good machine but I seem to be swaying towards PS4. Am I mad?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

At this point I think it pretty much comes down to exclusives and the quality of the online service (if that's something that you're bothered about).

I still enjoy my PS4 but I don't really game online. From what friends say I think Microsoft is still ahead of Sony when it comes to the online experience.

My favourite original game this gen has been Until Dawn - a PS4 exclusive. I'm also looking forward to Uncharted 4.

On the other hand the new Tomb Raider game (I thought the last Tomb Raider surpassed Uncharted in every way) is an Xbox exclusive for a year. They also have Rare Replay which looks absolutely excellent.

Professor Bear

The Tomb Raider exclusivity seems to have backfired on its publishers, as they're already promising PS4-exclusive content before the Xbone version has even come out.

The last TR built on the Uncharted games, though, so just get the Nathan Drake Collection of all three Uncharted games and The Last Of Us for PS4 and that'll tide you over until the new TR comes out.