Main Menu

Hivemind help!

Started by maryanddavid, 25 April, 2013, 11:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Looking for more help.
I remember reading that the VCs were originally down to appear in Starlord, and were dusted off to appear in 2000ad. I cannot find where I read that, ring any bells?

Cheers

A.Cow

The following may be what you're thinking of.  It's ambiguous but could read that way.

Quote"This slipshod attitude towards Starlord, coupled with its second eleven writing and art, contributed greatly to the title's downfall. Gosnell was stretched between his job on 2000AD and trying to keep Starlord afloat. There simply wasn't enough creative talent to support both titles, and both were suffering as a result.

"Gosnell had commissioned a new future war story from Gerry Finley-Day, called The V.C.s. Although the basic concept and characters were sound, Finley-Day's scripts were uniformly dire. Under increasing pressure from IPC management, Gosnell was forced to drop the strip before publication. The version of The V.C.s that eventually reached the pages of 2000AD was rewritten from the ground up by Alan Grant."

http://www.watchthestars.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/history/history5.htm

maryanddavid

Thanks Cow, not the piece I was looking for though but pretty much the same information. I got hold of Steve MacManus and he gave me the lowdown on how it happened. All will be revealed in the next Comic Archive!

Dandontdare

I've not heard the Starlord thing - Wasn't the VCs the result of a reader poll by Tharg? He asked everyone to vote on what sort of strip they'd like to see and "future war" won. I'd always assumed he then commissioned the VCs, but maybe it was already in the pipeline.

maryanddavid

The VCs was meant for Starlord. I think I have the results of that pole somewhere, If I can find it s Ill post them.

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 June, 2013, 12:38:02 PM
Wasn't the VCs the result of a reader poll by Tharg? He asked everyone to vote on what sort of strip they'd like to see and "future war" won.

Wasnt the poll you mention a bit later on, and the result of that was that we got Rogue Trooper?

Trout

Quote from: Judge Jack on 02 June, 2013, 03:29:57 PM
Wasn't the VCs the result of a reader poll by Tharg? He asked everyone to vote on what sort of strip they'd like to see and "future war" won.

Wasnt the poll you mention a bit later on, and the result of that was that we got Rogue Trooper?

Yes, that's my memory of it, too. I think it was Rogue.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Trout on 02 June, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 02 June, 2013, 03:29:57 PM

Yes, that's my memory of it, too. I think it was Rogue.

ah yes - would the jury please disregard that last remark.

A.Cow

Gotcha!  Came across the precise quote:

QuoteRogue Trooper annual 1991, article about Rogue's inception.  Steve McManus says "[... ] the VCs strip, which been written for Star Lord [... ] at pages an episode, and we ran it in 2000 AD in 4-page segments. "

Tiplodocus

Completely unrelated...

I have £40 to spend in Amazon.

What should I buy?

Cosh has already got me eyeing up Donnie Yen - Killzone (especially seeing as I now know it has a slap down between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung).

(Actually a VCs collection might be nice - all that lush Cam kennedy and Garry Leach art)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

Quote from: maryanddavid on 25 April, 2013, 11:20:52 PM
Looking for more help.
I remember reading that the VCs were originally down to appear in Starlord, and were dusted off to appear in 2000ad. I cannot find where I read that, ring any bells?
Cheers

Well, im probably well out of date with this (seeing as the original post was in April!), but some kind Squaxx sent me the two VC's Titan books for nowt recently, and in book one, Richard Burton (Asst. Ed - 2000ad) spoke about this topic in some detail.
Was this the place you where you originally read this?

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 August, 2013, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: maryanddavid on 25 April, 2013, 11:20:52 PM
Looking for more help.
Cheers

Well, im probably well out of date with this (seeing as the original post was in April!), but some kind Squaxx sent me the two VC's Titan books for nowt recently, and in book one, Richard Burton (Asst. Ed - 2000ad) spoke about this topic in some detail.
Was this the place you where you originally read this?

Can you scan that and post it up / send me a copy, Iain?  My VCs books are far, far away and I'm itching to read that text now.

Spikes

PM's, with scans sent to you both.

ming