Main Menu

Ever Wondered About the Masks Worn By Skull-Swords.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 31 October, 2015, 10:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Now that I have started drawing again.....

I got out nearly all my Slaine gn's scattered across the cushions placed on the floor of the garage. Alone with a selection video game magazines and most of my Paladian Rifts source books for....

England (With evil alien versions of Myrrdin Wilt (Merlin) and Guinevere who both belong to weird alien race that want to take over the rest of Rifts-Earth using Camelot. pretending to aid King Arr'Thuu, Prrcyel (Both names, I don't think that would be in true Brythonic, but I could be mistaken and the latter can shape-shift into a serpent!) ) the his Nexus-Knights, Dred (Quite possibly Modred and not the lawman of the fufure!) Galahad (Who sport a Mohawk and is suppose to be a Atlantean Undead-Slayer (If he is the only Atlantean then who are the others descended from!) and the gods Bres the Beautiful (Who became progenitor Fomorian race!) Balor Two (Yep, he's a god but not the actual Balor, but another Fomorian just like him!) Dagda the Good God (The one that owns that Cauldron of Plenty!) Lugh - The Shining One  (IBARR!) and the Milliniem Tree (A natural arboreal construct that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs....No not really and there are more than a few of these!) 

Australia with mutant Koala Bezerkers, (Evolved from the gum tree leave munching teddy bears and still very primitive!) Kang's (Giant Kangaroos that can be used for mounts! Pictures on the front cover!), Mokole (Evolved Crocs that use hi-tech gun weapons!) Giant-Cockroaches. (The bad guys!) 

Atlantis A Multi-Dimesional-City owned by ruthless aliens called Splugorth and this some multi-species slave trade market as well. Ley-Lines powered by undiscoverered pyramids.

Lemuria  and if you know this place the way I do, it is actually the huge island that sank before Atlantis and the latter was supposed to what was left of it above the waves, the most mountainous region of it. Now it's own island, but back then and not really now. I haven't much into this one except that it's place under the sea and with lots of exotic weaponry and swimming creatures. That make excellent pets and can be used for mounts as well.

Various other related books from the same Rifts series (Not to be confused with the MMO of the same name!) that help fill in the gaps and flesh it out more. One about Dragons & Gods and others about the Old-Ones (Their own intrusion into Cythulu myths!) and Fantasy (What if Rifts was Dungeons & Dragons or Lord of the Rings!)

I just want to redraw my own version of Slaine and this is connected with that short film or trailer I said I wanted to make some time ago.

Going back over computer mags and the photo artwork on the back cover of one and this had something to do with the latest in a line of games based on old a Wolfenstein game that I was never interested in enough to ever complete.

Continued Later....

ThryllSeekyr

Speaking of books, I also dragged out all my Slaine RPG books, as well. A bad habit to keep moving books from one end of the house to the other and not use them before I put them away.

Anyway, I was referring to some of the more common posters used for one of the latest installments of Wolfenstein game....

I saw this on the back page of a computer magazine and it didn't have the fellow in front. Just the sillohettes with their eyes showing. This picture really made me think of the Drune-Swords from Slaine because of those helmets and the gas masks I imagine they are wearing. The trench-coats almost seem like fur cloaks.

I often wondered if the Skull-Swords were based on the Nazis because of that and Triskeli looking a little bit like the Swastika.

Not being victim of them myself, I have no problem with this similarity and it's used. I know it often gets misinterpreted as something they solely came up with, but as a symbol they borrowed and altered the meaning of to something about power. I believe it's been used before to spread the message of harmony.

Anyway...I just want share that those fur or brush masks with the bone or wooden tube they wear/use to protect them from retching in the presence of their master Slough Feg.

I then suddenly realised that might not work so effectively in real life. It's just restricting their range of oxegen intake and might even put them out of breath. I think they would still pretty much be adversely effected by his mystic aura.

It should be supernaturally a lot worse than the smell of death....the smell of a skin less corpse, because I used to work in Abattior down south and animal parts, their corpse weren't such a problem for me or anybody else. I got used to the smell, and might think that those Skull-Swords should stronger constitutions if they are meant to be the Elite fighting Drunes that I have read about as well as the others like Slaine who don't have the luxury of using those masks in any of the instances I've seem him with the undead sorceror and in that cave of his, it must be stronger because of it's confines.

I assume it's the smell of bad magic that should make his presence intolerable to the unmasked and even those masks must have a bit of sorcerery to them if they are to work properly.

Otherwise,  the flute part of the face piece should have perfumed filter using flower petals (Like a Pot-Pourri and my late mother was Avon Representative so, I was used to stuff like that!). Not sure how this might be done, but maybe the furry/brushy portions of the mask could hold small satchels of these while the flute curves backward from their mouths to face the more suitably aromatic coverings. 

I know the idea of using that might be image breaker for soldiers that could have been Vikings and where would they get the flowers if they were all holed up on the Sour-Land . In the very least, they would be too rare a thing to be passed around Mister Feg's entire company of followers.

I might consult GN's and any source book from the game of same name for anything I missed in my observation. Otherwise, I don't spoil the image of their iconic dress/helmets. It's something I think every fan of this would not want to see messed up, however odd I found it the other night when I was about sketch my own version of that poster shown above.

Who does th best Skull-Sword anyway,

Bellardinelli who does a very Frazetta styled helmet (Not sure, if it's based on any real historical finds...) with the smooth dome and curves horns pointing downwards.

McMahon and Bisley, very much similar, and just going by memory, I think the latter had more brush or fur covering which kind reminds me of the lower parts of a very hair-suit woman when she's aroused with exposed flute and all or that they were smoking one of those dawn of time roll-ups or maybe it's like the Human-Centipede but only when nobody else is around.  Otherwise their helmets look like they a small cooking-pot or cauldron except for the spiked horns or cross  on top.

I don't think Fabry drew any of his own or at least when he was still drawing without adding colourful paint.  I 'll have to check my GN's later. Quite possibly bound to have drawn one or two somewhere.