Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I'd be happy to see something following on from the movies, if the rights can be attained. The snag for me is money. How much do broadly similar series in scope cost? How limited would it need to be in terms of environment, to be viable? (The movie having been set mostly in a tower block, in order to bring it home for around $35m.)

Goaty

They could work with team behind Judge Minty?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 May, 2016, 01:52:12 AM
I wonder do they also have the audio-visual rights to use the DREDD designs and content established by DNA and IMGlobal - do they need to redesign them somewhat or start anew?

Redesigning everything would add to the costs of production- hardly something would be program makers would find desirable. $56 million for Dare Devil?! That is pretty damn steep!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

Quote from: Goaty on 03 May, 2016, 10:49:27 AM
They could work with team behind Judge Minty?

That's very sweet, but we were just making it for a bit of fun.

I doubt much that's done to mercilessly squeeze the most out of a budget on a fan film translates to a feature or tv series.

Professor Bear

Fan movies can be cheap because no-one is expecting to get union rates for their contribution to a fan film - but that would never fly with an official production.  The unions would go mental if studios started hiring non-union crew and then paid them fuck all.

Will Cooling

To give my controversial opinion on Dredd, I thought whilst the performances were great, the film lacked the humour, satire and futurism that really makes Dredd such a great strip. I know much of this is due to budget limitations but the world wasn't weird enough to make the film significantly different to a standard cop film. That it was so widely confused with a straight action film like The Raid shows that it was lacking something compared to the strip. This is perhaps best shown in the lead bad guy - is a scared gangster dealing pretty ordinary drugs really up to the standards of classic Dredd strips.

Again I know there's problems with budgets and maybe animated movies is the better direction to go down but the world they created was so humdrum that it barely counts as an adaptation of Wagner/Grant's genius. Again Urban nails Dress but it's a great performance looking for a better film.

I also strongly believe it was a mistake not to do Judge Death. If the BBC can bring Davros to life on Dr Who's budget then it should be possible to adapt the first Judge Death story on the budget you have. Death is a quirky enough character that he could have got the film an audience with vampire/zombie film fans. Of course he would get in the way of the straight laced cop film the producers wanted to make.
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Will Cooling on 05 May, 2016, 01:58:57 PM
I also strongly believe it was a mistake not to do Judge Death.

I strongly believe you're wrong.

The problem with Death isn't budget, or any technical limitation. There's a crucial difference between Death and, say, the Joker: the Joker is the anti-Batman. They're opposing forces, and the clash between them is the distillation of drama — it's instant and immediate. Death is Dredd — he's Dredd pushed those couple of extreme steps further and, as such, he presents two* problems:

1) He's not that interesting, because Dredd's not that interesting.

2) The audience has to understand Dredd before they can understand Death. From a structural point of view, that makes him very difficult to introduce to a first film.

Cheers

Jim

*A third, of course, being that he is, essentially, very silly.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I'm also not sure the film was lacking in black humour and satire. It certainly wasn't in your face, but there were some great lines lobbed into the mix, some suitably crazed violence, and little throwaway things such as the tannoy noting the food court would be open soon while a little automated droid diligently mopped up all the blood. As for The Raid, I don't think it was confused at all — I just saw a lot of critics wrongly making the assumption the basic plot for Dredd had been cloned from The Raid (despite the reverse being more likely).

The futuristic angle is the only major difference I saw between Dredd and Judge Dredd. But even though that was in part down to budget, I liked the 30 seconds into the future angle, rather than it being more like a dystopian take on Star Trek. That level of 'realism' seems also quite at home when you look at post-Pit Dredd, rather than making comparisons with much earlier fare. (It was also interesting to see people complaining — mostly in the US — about the violence, because Dredd actually shows what happens when people get shot and killed. It's not nice. People tend to forget about that when Marvel characters are merrily butchering 'bad guys' without a second thought.)

As for Death, I tend to agree with Jim. If it had been done, it would have needed significantly more set-up than you get in what's effectively an introduction to Dredd's world. Groundwork was laid for other-wordly elements with Anderson, though, and had Dredd been a hit, you can imagine Death would have appeared at some point.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 03 May, 2016, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 May, 2016, 01:52:12 AM
I wonder do they also have the audio-visual rights to use the DREDD designs and content established by DNA and IMGlobal - do they need to redesign them somewhat or start anew?

Redesigning everything would add to the costs of production- hardly something would be program makers would find desirable. $56 million for Dare Devil?! That is pretty damn steep!

It might be a lot 'cleaner' legally, to create a new version of the uniform.

I liked the DREDD version, so I think there is a lot they could take from it, and combined with the source material create something 'the same, but different' enough to avoid any possible legal blurring.

And considering the amount of props and costumes that were sold off after the film, they're probably going to have to make all new ones any way.

radiator

Didn't Alex Garland say that he tried really hard to write Death as the villain, but ultimately abandoned the idea as he couldn't get it to work, for reasons Jim mentions, (and that's why Dredd faces off against four 'dark' judges at the end of the eventual film - the last vestige of a script draft that featured the Dark Judges)?

As for the whole Netflix thing, I suspect that they're already in very deep with Marvel, and probably wouldn't pick up another expensive comic book series on top of that commitment. I suppose it's possible that they'd look at financing a movie sequel, though with the majority of Dredd's creative team having long-since moved onto other projects, I'd be concerned about them nailing it like the 2012 movie did...

IndigoPrime

I'm don't see Dredd as 'competition' though. If anything, it'd benefit Marvel by drawing or keeping subscribers into more adult oriented comic book fare.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2016, 05:55:53 PM
Didn't Alex Garland say that he tried really hard to write Death as the villain, but ultimately abandoned the idea as he couldn't get it to work, for reasons Jim mentions, (and that's why Dredd faces off against four 'dark' judges at the end of the eventual film - the last vestige of a script draft that featured the Dark Judges)?

John Wagner said in an interview it was someone at FOX who suggested not using Death as the villain in the first film.

As for the whole Netflix thing, I suspect that they're already in very deep with Marvel, and probably wouldn't pick up another expensive comic book series on top of that commitment. I suppose it's possible that they'd look at financing a movie sequel, though with the majority of Dredd's creative team having long-since moved onto other projects, I'd be concerned about them nailing it like the 2012 movie did...

Unlike House of Cards, it's Marvel and ABC who are producing and paying for the Marvel series, Netflix bought exclusive distribution rights, so it's basically the same company who make Agent Carter and Agents of Shield.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2016, 05:55:53 PM

John Wagner said in an interview it was someone at FOX Studios who suggested not using Death as the villain in the first film. Having a supernatural vllain in the first of an intended Dredd franchise feels wrong.

Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2016, 05:55:53 PMAs for the whole Netflix thing, I suspect that they're already in very deep with Marvel, and probably wouldn't pick up another expensive comic book series on top of that commitment. I suppose it's possible that they'd look at financing a movie sequel, though with the majority of Dredd's creative team having long-since moved onto other projects, I'd be concerned about them nailing it like the 2012 movie did...

Unlike House of Cards, it's Marvel and ABC who are producing and paying for the Marvel series, Netflix bought exclusive distribution rights, so it's basically the same company who make Agent Carter and Agents of Shield.

GordonR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 May, 2016, 10:28:25 PM

You can keep on saying this, but no-one ever seems to listen.

The script seems stuck on "Netflix should make it, just like they make their Marvel shows!"