Main Menu

Prog 1990 - Standing Tall

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 July, 2016, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Agree completely, just having a bit of fun...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 July, 2016, 10:57:02 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 July, 2016, 10:51:57 PM
True, but as with current British politics:

a) who is left to take up the mantle

b) who would be good enough to?

Gimme a 'B', gimme an 'e'...

That's not how you spell Nicola!   :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

BPP

Glad to see the back of a simply rotten Dredd 'epic'. One that showed promise (the TC element, the screamer) but threw it all away with a finale of unconvincing stupidity.. Dredd attacking the Halls of Justice with what, five people? That's all the loyal judges Giant, Rico, Beany et al could muster? And suddenly the halls of justice has about 2 judges on the door? And then they get 'lost' to sensors by going up a MASSIVE internal structure. But that's okay because somehow Beany (who is missing) is all over that....And then all of a sudden we add the end of Oz/Kraken into our Apolypse War Silo threat? It never felt like anyone was ever in peril, characters had no personality beyond 'the old man is hard' 'yeah'... 'Hey why is Armitage needed to push the button? Dunno, why is Joyce needed to mark the target? Dunno really, but hey maybe Hollywood slick cutting 'plans' oblivate the need to actually have a proper ending and I can just do Trifecta (storm the Halls of Justice!) Ugh.

Well at least all the anti British false flag stuff is done with for now. No doubt Irish nationalism will make another unwelcome foray into Dredd again soon enough.

Wonder what Smiley made of it all. He must have been out of town.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 29 July, 2016, 02:26:43 AM
at least all the anti British false flag stuff is done with for now. No doubt Irish nationalism will make another unwelcome foray into Dredd again soon enough.

Pretty much the rest of the world feels the same way about our imperial adventures.

I enjoyed parts of Every Empire Falls, but taken as a whole it feels a little wobbly and uneventful. I don't have the problems with plot convenience pointed out above (and by ECBT's Orlok), but Oswin was an uninteresting villain.

All we saw of her "invasion" was a mutie being shot, Giant being mugged, and psi judges being taken out (for reasons that remain unclear). Oswin's whole segment of the story was two months of her being passive aggressive to Hershey in an office.

That line about Hershey being caged by her office proved to be depressingly literal.

There was nothing wrong with Lion's Den, it just wasn't involving and didn't make any difference to how the story turned out at all. Which leaves Grindstone Cowboys, which I really enjoyed, and Reclamation, which I thought was fun. More good than not, but what an awful lot of completely unnecessary not.

Dandontdare

why is Armitage needed to push the button? Dunno, why is Joyce needed to mark the target? Dunno really,

Then try paying attention - this was a unique prototype long-range teleporter located in Brit Cit - that's why Armitage was needed and why the target had to be remotely tagged (by Dolman, not Joyce).

The hidden lift shaft was a bit of a stretch though

A.Cow

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 July, 2016, 08:23:49 AM

I'm still impressed how they can accommodate a hidden lift shaft and a secret tunnel under Fargo's tomb and Smiley's invisible office without anyone in the planning department noticing.

James Stacey

was the lift shaft supposed to be hidden? or just likely that the MC3 judges would be unaware of it. Halls of Justice aren't in any way dwarfed by all these fooking huge arcologies surrounding it, so would have to be a beast in itself. One overlooked emergency lift-shaft in something that size is hardly a stretch, nor is someone having rooms hidden off. You get rooms or even floors that don't get used/visited in a regular office building, let alone a vast administration building

Jim_Campbell

I have to say: the lift shaft didn't bother me at all. Seems perfectly logical that the Chief Judge would have a secure means of emergency exit, so it's quite neat that a usurper would be unaware of it, whilst insiders could use it as a means of entrance.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

BPP

why is Armitage needed to push the button? Dunno, why is Joyce needed to mark the target? Dunno really,

Then try paying attention - this was a unique prototype long-range teleporter located in Brit Cit - that's why Armitage was needed and why the target had to be remotely tagged (by Dolman, not Joyce).

Hi, thanks for the personal insult.

Yes I got that's what it all was but why did it need to be there? It didn't. It was just complication so that at point 'E' we get Dredd, Joyce and Armitage all going 'bifff baff boom: job done'. Except we've not seen Armitage for weeks, he literally appears in ONE panel, and Joyce was packed off to the roof easy as pie a few firefights back. There is no tension, no REASON, no point to it all. It could easily have been a long range teleporter located in London that needed Dredd press a button on the bomb bag. Armitages butt must have got a bit sore waiting there all that time. And Joyce must be glad the halls of justice have big windows.

Plus, a teleporter that needs a long range rifle to set its target? What? Plus they said the experimental was it could teleport between any two locations whereas Brit cit tech was between two teleport stations. Now if that's your experimental tech who adds a 'remote targeting by long range rifle' to the experimental package.

Anyhow, it's just a story. No point rowing over it. Most of you enjoyed it but for me it's another complete dud. With some nice art.

BPP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2016, 09:41:26 AM
I have to say: the lift shaft didn't bother me at all. Seems perfectly logical that the Chief Judge would have a secure means of emergency exit, so it's quite neat that a usurper would be unaware of it, whilst insiders could use it as a means of entrance.

At least this time it wasn't full of Doleman crushing rocks that mysteriously fail to crush Doleman.

James Stacey

Quote from: BPP on 29 July, 2016, 09:48:23 AM
Plus they said the experimental was it could teleport between any two locations whereas Brit cit tech was between two teleport stations.
No it wasn't or Brit Cit would have had to covertly installed a teleport station on a MC1 manta to have got Dredd out in the first place ??

BPP

Err... Brit Cit was using the Sov Tech. That's their 'wot me gov'? when kidnapping Dredd.

They quite clearly say this in prog 1984.

TordelBack

Wonder what Smiley made of it all. He must have been out of town.

Damn, I knew Carroll slipped up! He forgot that all existential  threats to Justice Dept would be solved by Judge Smiley, just as they always have.  Dredd should have left well alone and let him handle it. Because that would make for a much more interesting strip.

Dandontdare

Quote from: BPP on 29 July, 2016, 09:48:23 AM
Hi, thanks for the personal insult.

I guess the intended lighthearted tone didn't come across - no insult intended

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: A.Cow on 29 July, 2016, 09:22:34 AM

I'm still impressed how they can accommodate a hidden lift shaft and a secret tunnel under Fargo's tomb and Smiley's invisible office without anyone in the planning department noticing.

Er, you what Guv?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night