Main Menu

A small curiosity about the slang

Started by freedonadd, 26 July, 2016, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mejustnow

Well how about that? For some reson I'd always just assumed that a "greenie" was...well...a bogie. I never thought to question what God (or Grud) would be doing on a bogie, though. Ever.  :lol:
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

The Adventurer

I'm partial to 'Jumped Up Jovus Grud!' myself.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Fungus

'Grud on a Greenie' I've always considered 'God on a greenback'. As in, God's features have appeared on my dollar bill (as opposed to Washington or Nightingale). As in, more commonly, Jesus' face has appeared on this morning's toast (to my surprise).

It's tenuous, I'd be surprised if anyone else took this meaning, and I don't care.

Dredd works on so many levels.

freedonadd

Another doubt just sprung to my mind: I just finished reading " the Jesus Syndrome" storyline and realized that there are people still using the words "God" and "Jesus". Thus, are Grud and Jovus/Jovis to be considered "separate entities" from the Christian God?

Frank

Quote from: freedonadd on 26 July, 2016, 07:46:08 PM
Another doubt just sprung to my mind: I just finished reading " the Jesus Syndrome" storyline and realized that there are people still using the words "God" and "Jesus". Thus, are Grud and Jovus/Jovis to be considered "separate entities" from the Christian God?

Initially, I thought Grud and Jovus were examples of phonic slippage, where the pronunciation of words alter subtly over time.

Later, I decided they were probably a result of syncretism, blank new names intended to act as repositories for all the different and competing ideas of the many faiths of diverse peoples when crammed into a single, unifying ideology - just as they were physically crammed into a single city and forced to find some way to get along without ethnic tensions and holy wars [1].

Then I got older and decided Wagner and Grant just thought the names sounded funny and were taking the piss [2].

[1] This wouldn't rule out the coexistence of Christianity and a new, combined faith. Jews didn't stop being Jews just because Christians stole monotheism and their holy texts, just as Christianity didn't give up when Mohammed changed the name of the Christian/Jewish god to Allah and started dictating extra chapters for the Bible/Torah.

[2] Unbelievable as it might sound, taking the Lord's name in vain was still considered a bit racy for kids' comics in the late seventies/early eighties. So it was also a way of letting Dredd say Jesus-fucking-Christ! without angry parents cancelling their kid's order at the newsagent.

freedonadd

Quote from: Butch on 26 July, 2016, 08:23:57 PM
Quote from: freedonadd on 26 July, 2016, 07:46:08 PM

Initially, I thought Grud and Jovus were examples of phonic slippage, where the pronunciation of words alter subtly over time.

Later, I decided they were probably a result of syncretism, blank new names intended to act as repositories for all the different and competing ideas of the many faiths of diverse peoples when crammed into a single, unifying ideology - just as they were physically crammed into a single city and forced to find some way to get along without ethnic tensions and holy wars [1].

Then I got older and decided Wagner and Grant just thought the names sounded funny and were taking the piss [2].

[1] This wouldn't rule out the coexistence of Christianity and a new, combined faith. Jews didn't stop being Jews just because Christians stole monotheism and their holy texts, just as Christianity didn't give up when Mohammed changed the name of the Christian/Jewish god to Allah and started dictating extra chapters for the Bible/Torah.

[2] Unbelievable as it might sound, taking the Lord's name in vain was still considered a bit racy for kids' comics in the late seventies/early eighties. So it was also a way of letting Dredd say Jesus-fucking-Christ! without angry parents cancelling their kid's order at the newsagent.

Yeah I made sort of your same reasoning, the real life motive was censorship, but in - universe it is used as a "puppet/placeholder religion" to avoid religious contrast that takes after Christianity, instead of being actual Christianity with funny names (i just read some of the Psi division stories, and seen that crosses of Exorcist Judges have eagles on them, instead of a crucifix. Lol.)

The Adventurer

I always thought Justice Department banned curse word in an attempt to curtail aggression and slurs in the population. And offered up Department approved replacements, that for whatever reason actually stuck after a few generations.

Any drops of 21st Century curses is just lax enforcement.

sheridan

Quote from: Butch on 26 July, 2016, 08:23:57 PM
[1] This wouldn't rule out the coexistence of Christianity and a new, combined faith. Jews didn't stop being Jews just because Christians stole monotheism
Or possibly from Zoroastrianism...

freedonadd

Just to return to my original question (I know, I know, I'm annoying as hell. Be patient, please. ::) ) I poked around the Internet and...got even more confused, as I found out actual users use this "Jovis Drokk" expression, without it appearing to say frustration or at least anger as some of you suggested. I post a copy of the examples I found on the web (I had to copy and paste, since my phone doesen't allow me to attach screenshots. No comment.). Toughts and/ or suggestion on what could this bugging expression could mean in this contest?

Dredd (2012) - 2000 AD Online Forum

forums.2000adonline.com › ...

28 gen 2013 - Sweet jovis drokk your right! :o. dracula1: --- Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 January, 2013, ...

Mick McGovern Art - Facebook

https://www.facebook.com › permalink

Mobile-friendly - Comments. Jason Russell. Remove. Jason Russell Jovis Drokk, that is awsome. September 9, 2015 at 1:44am.

Mick McGovern Art - Facebook

https://m.facebook.com › pages › Mick-...

Mobile-friendly - Comments. Jason Russell. Remove. Jason Russell Jovis Drokk, that is awsome. · September 9, 2015 at 1:44am.

Gallifrey VI [Archive] - Big Finish Forums

forums.bigfinish.com › index.php

11 lug 2013 - 50 post - ‎24 autori

12th July 2013, 12:14. Jovis drokk! Now this I wasn't expecting. I'll be buying the first series of Gallifrey ...

Modern Panther

"My goodness!"/"good heavens!"/"jings!"/"crivvens!"/"generic exclamation of surprise!"

freedonadd

Quote from: Modern Panther on 27 July, 2016, 05:47:24 PM
"My goodness!"/"good heavens!"/"jings!"/"crivvens!"/"generic exclamation of surprise!"
Uh. I expected something more...bombastic, I guess. Or maybe more vulgar, knowing the word drokk. That's...good anyway. Well...Jovis Drokk!   :D

Fungus

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 27 July, 2016, 06:34:42 PM
'Funt'. Why?  :-X

Second best invented 2000AD swear word after 'sneak', IMO.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Adventurer

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2016, 06:40:36 PM
Second best invented 2000AD swear word after 'sneak', IMO.

SNECK.

Fucking autocorrect.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.