Main Menu

A small curiosity about the slang

Started by freedonadd, 26 July, 2016, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2016, 08:58:59 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2016, 06:40:36 PM
Second best invented 2000AD swear word after 'sneak', IMO.

SNECK.

Fucking autocorrect.
itym funting autocorrect...

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

AlexF

I was always impressed by 'Stak!' from Ropgue Trooper, as it manages to sound both rude and foreign (it's what the Norts said on being dispatched by Rogue)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2016, 06:40:36 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 27 July, 2016, 06:34:42 PM
'Funt'. Why?  :-X

Second best invented 2000AD swear word after 'sneck', IMO.

'Sneck':  Yes. It sounds filthy and expressive, and is hugely versatile.  (Mind you, the eff-word still exists in Stront-time - Cuss Weerd seems to say it a lot, and it's fairly clearly scrawled on a wall in The Final Solution.)

'Funt':  No.  Sorry; it's jarring and sounds like the kind of noise a steam-engine with a face might make.

'Spug' for me is up there with 'sneck'. It's perfect - sounds very dirty and will always be connected with acne-ridden Ron Smith delinquents in my mind.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

credo

Maestro John Smith also has his own line in future-swears: "Judas" (standard, but non-conventional usage, replacing 'Jesus') and "Skev" seem to be common.

I'm sure there's also been a "Shul" somewhere in toothy, but I don't know who came up with this.

Theblazeuk

So; a full list perhaps?

Funt
Sneck
Drokk
Grud (on or off a greenie)
Jovis (Jovis Drokk!)
Spug
Stomm
Bastich
Simp
Stak

Any more?

These join my favourites from other SF sources:
Feth (Fething, feth you, etc - From Dabnett's WH40k series)
Nass; Grife; Sprock (From Dabnett/lanning's Legion of Superheroes series)
Frack (of course, from BSG)
Kriff (Star Wars EU)
Gorram (Firefly)
Smeg (I know its not entirely fictituous word but in the ubiquitous way its used in Red Dwarf...)

morpheas

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 July, 2016, 03:08:13 PM
So; a full list perhaps?

Funt
Sneck
Drokk
Grud (on or off a greenie)
Jovis (Jovis Drokk!)
Spug
Stomm
Bastich
Simp
Stak

we need these on a t-shirt asap.

JayzusB.Christ

There was also 'fux' and 'vug' from Dredd, 'vuck' from some Si Spurrier one from the early 2000s, 'funk' from Savage, 'truck' from Nemesis and 'snut' from (possibly Millar only)  Robohunter. 

Nobody said they all had to be GOOD swear words.

Not sure if I'd consider 'simp' a swear word - it's more a lifestyle choice.

Think 'shule' may have been Tyranny Rex.

EDIT: oh, and 'rekking' from Bad Company (early 2000s).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

I see 'Simp' as a derogatory term that has been embraced by those it describes.

Like 'Fatties' and 'Ugly' (thanks to Mr Otto Sump), all things can be reinvented in the Big Meg.

Fungus

Hootin' Heck!
Not offensive but a favourite.

Dok!
For those times a Drokk is too verbose.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking Spug tops them all. Aim to use it more often in polite conversation. And the T-shirt idea is a winner  :)

Jim_Campbell

Mills transformed 'truck' into a sort of stand-in profanity in Nemesis, starting off with Torque exhorting the citizenry to "have no truck with the vile deviant" but turning it around so that "vile truckers" became an insult.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

hippynumber1

Was 'slitch' used somewhere? Durham Red maybe? I took this to be a blend of 'slit' and 'bitch' and, therefore, quite unpleasant.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 July, 2016, 04:32:49 PM
'snut' from (possibly Millar only)  Robohunter. 

First appears in 'The Verdus Caper' as Kidd's favourite word - but it disappears so abruptly and completely I've always assumed someone told them to knock it off.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

'Soth!' is a personal fave that I use a lot. Nothing really beats 'sneck', but I also enjoy 'sweet Jovus son of Mavis'.

TordelBack

And on that note 'Cheeses!',  'Serendipity city!' and 'total Chop party' from Halo Jones get regular rotation. See also 'glombie'.