Main Menu

Judge dredd complete case files volume 5 help!!

Started by Polygon grunt, 23 November, 2012, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

To be honest the old full face of dredd design always disappoints. I can't help but think when
I see a variation of that the artist or designer has ran out of ideas

Spikes

For what its worth, i quite like those US covers for the Case Files.
But yes, if your collecting then best not to mix and match. And its ok to be anal on here - you should see that thread on spine angst,  ;)

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 November, 2012, 12:06:02 AM
They do reprint the case Files as they go out of stock, as they're a consistent seller

Slightly off topic, but i caught CF#1 in Waterstones yesterday, which - if i remember correctly, was up to its 19th re-printing? Nice to see that there proving to be a hit.
Wonder how many copies are in a print run, and how many have been sold to date?

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Judge Jack on 25 November, 2012, 02:19:08 PM
For what its worth, i quite like those US covers for the Case Files.
But yes, if your collecting then best not to mix and match. And its ok to be anal on here - you should see that thread on spine angst,  ;)

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 November, 2012, 12:06:02 AM
They do reprint the case Files as they go out of stock, as they're a consistent seller

Slightly off topic, but i caught CF#1 in Waterstones yesterday, which - if i remember correctly, was up to its 19th re-printing? Nice to see that there proving to be a hit.
Wonder how many copies are in a print run, and how many have been sold to date?
Hmv had the early case files at a tenner a pop recently, at least in Cardiff

Polygon grunt

Yeh there great for hooking in new fans. Personally I'd never read any dredd or 2000ad until I saw the recent dredd film.loved the movie and was intrigued about the character so been able to absorb myself in it right from the start is fantastic and turned me into a big fan and a subscriber to 2000ad aswel.

Encouraging that it seems I'm not the only new comer too,amazon has case files 01 in its top 100 graphic novel sellers for 1312 days, over 3 years!

hippynumber1

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 November, 2012, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: jannerboyuk on 25 November, 2012, 12:19:31 PM
Not sure why you can't express how you feel about any art and design even if you did find it disgusting! Artists and designers put themselves out there which I respect immensely but if you haven't got a thick skin by that point then sheesh wrong business!

This.

Whilst I don't agree that the artwork is 'disgusting' surely the OP is allowed to state an opinion?
Personally I find the artwork of David Hockney childish and amateurish and a bit crap but that does not mean I do not respect the views and opinions of those who like and even love his artwork.
One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.
Have we become so thin skinned that even the most mildest of criticism is now an automatic affront?
For what it's worth I am a huge fan of Ezquerra (as it is his artwork that is being discussed, not Bolland's) but the cover of Case Files 5 (US) does not represent his artwork, blown up out of all  proportion as it is.
Sorry for any consternation caused to Ezquerra, his family, friends, and fans but that's my opinion.

I agree; I think the 'problem' with the initial post was the choice of 'disgusting' to describe the art! I dislike the design of the US case files but 'disgusting' is a whole other lever. Ultimately, I think it was just poor choice of words - it's SO easy to offend unintentionally online and in text form because it's a casual, informal mode just like when you're chatting to friends in the pub but there are no prosodic features like tone, inflection, eye-contact or any of the other subtleties that give these comments context. I learned a while back that you have to stop, read, think and check you're sure it says what you mean before pressing that pesky 'post' button!

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 November, 2012, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: jannerboyuk on 25 November, 2012, 12:19:31 PM
Not sure why you can't express how you feel about any art and design even if you did find it disgusting! Artists and designers put themselves out there which I respect immensely but if you haven't got a thick skin by that point then sheesh wrong business!

This.

Whilst I don't agree that the artwork is 'disgusting' surely the OP is allowed to state an opinion?
Personally I find the artwork of David Hockney childish and amateurish and a bit crap but that does not mean I do not respect the views and opinions of those who like and even love his artwork.
One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.
Have we become so thin skinned that even the most mildest of criticism is now an automatic affront?
For what it's worth I am a huge fan of Ezquerra (as it is his artwork that is being discussed, not Bolland's) but the cover of Case Files 5 (US) does not represent his artwork, blown up out of all  proportion as it is.
Sorry for any consternation caused to Ezquerra, his family, friends, and fans but that's my opinion.

You can be critical without being ignorant - I'm sure that you would be offended if someone described you or your work in the same way.

I assume that people are posting here because they like 2000 AD - if so, show some respect.

Polygon grunt

Yeh your completely right. Was my first ever post an I just blasted it out an hit post thinking it would come out perfect.Think it's fair to say I made a balls up of it, was actually tryin to be funny overexagerating about it but that doesn't really come across very well on a forum as I now realise.

Robo-K33F

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being a little too sensitive, having choosen the image for the cover and also being friends with the designer who I know puts 100% into everything he does.

Now, did I mention that the UK edition will be available again soon?

The Bissler

@ Polygon Grunt: glad my tip-off helped you out bud.  For what it's worth I knew what you were getting at.  As someone who has all of the case files to date, I too would be appalled if one of my case files was a completely different design, ie American version.  The same would apply if it was the other way around, ie I had all U.S. versions and had to then screw up my collection with a UK one.  No one wants their collection ruined by a variant edition, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

@Robo-K33F: While I would agree that Polygon could have worded it better, I'm more concerned about slapping down a newbie to the forum.  We want people to engage with the forum and I'd hate for someone to be feel alienated from Dredd/2000AD because their first experience on the forum was being told to keep his opinions to himself (apologies if you are a lady Polygon!).  He's clearly a paying customer and as far as I'm concerned, the more people buying the graphic novels, the better.  A request to tone down the criticism would, in my opinion, have been more appropriate. 

Let's not shut down peoples' right to an opinion, people debating their feelings about Dredd / 2000AD keeps them engaged in the comics/graphic novels and hopefully keep buying these wonderful books (US and UK editions alike)!

Polygon grunt

nah its cool , like robo said he's a little closer to the production of these things and when it looks like someone is just rolling in and shitting all over a lot of peoples hard work i can see why id be told to be more respectful.

Im glad you can see where i was coming from with it tho, as ive said before i think the artwork is incredible and was only describing it as disgusting in the context that it would be different from the rest of my colection, and not that taken on its own i think it is disgusting......but i failed to properly convey that.
i also regret bitching about forbidden planet, just because ive had one bad experience it doesnt reflect them as a whole and ive had plenty of successful purchases with them too. risky buisness this forum posting lark, need to engage my brain more before i type!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Bissler on 26 November, 2012, 02:59:09 PMLet's not shut down peoples' right to an opinion, people debating their feelings about Dredd / 2000AD keeps them engaged in the comics/graphic novels and hopefully keep buying these wonderful books (US and UK editions alike)!
To clarify something, no-one's right to an opinion and debate is being shut down on this forum. What we've asked for since day one is for people to be constructive in any criticism and to moderate their language. People should never be afraid of saying something like "I really don't think the new series of Space Opossum doesn't hit the mark. The bit where he built the giant hat out of jelly just made no sense, and the artwork just feels hurried compared to the previous volume," but we so often here get "SPACE OPOSSUM SUCKS! I HOPE THE WRITER DIES OF OPOSSUM WORMS!"

Note: I'm not suggesting Polygon grunt was that bad, but he's realised the wording he used could have been a lot better. I guess the point for people is to write, take a step back, reread once or twice and then post, rather than posting with red fury over their eyes.

The Bissler

I agree with all of that Indigo and I'm not saying people have the right to say anything on this forum.  Clearly that would be absurd and would open all manner of cans of Space Opossum Worms. 

All I'm suggesting is that the telling of someone to keep their opinions to themselves which could have been misconstrued by some as an instruction not to post again seemed a little heavy-handed to me - particularly in the case of someone making their first ever post.   

Anyway, Polygon has by his own admission said he was in the wrong and would probably prefer this thread to come to an end so I won't continue this discussion further...

Polygon grunt

yeh a self imposed trial by fire this one, think its a testament to the top class people on here tho that everyones offered intelligent and understanding comments, and it hasnt turned into a slagging match so common online. proves its a classy community, one id like to be a part of, and hopefully havent screwed up too much by a rushed first post. your first times always a messy embarassing rush job!

hippynumber1

Quote from: Polygon grunt on 26 November, 2012, 05:50:44 PM
yeh a self imposed trial by fire this one, think its a testament to the top class people on here tho that everyones offered intelligent and understanding comments, and it hasnt turned into a slagging match so common online. proves its a classy community, one id like to be a part of, and hopefully havent screwed up too much by a rushed first post. your first times always a messy embarassing rush job!

I hope you don't get Space Opossum Worms; they're nasty!

Spikes