Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 March, 2017, 10:20:50 AMI'm a leftie and a member of Unite

You're an entryist red infiltrator who loves Putin and it's people like you that are keeping the Tories In Power For A Generation™.

To be fair to Watson, he's done pretty well for a decade off of pressuring his party leader into quitting and then driving the party steadily into the ground by having zero long game, you can't really blame him for sticking with what he knows in uncertain times.

Goaty

Still feelings like there's life version of Judge Dredd: Origins happens in US now....

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 March, 2017, 02:52:05 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 March, 2017, 01:22:38 PM
The BBC's political editor was caught editing footage to suit her narrative - the BBC declared through its own internal review body that there was "no intent to deceive".  The same political editor describes the Crown Prosecution Service's two-dozen separate investigations into Conservative election fraud in the 2015 General Election as "mistakes", despite whistleblowers coming forward and saying it was not only deliberate, but organised - on the national scale - by party HQ.

There is no fake news, only approved news.

What's amazing is that after the whole thing with the Queen being edited to look like she stormed out, I had to complete an online compliance test, because as a freelancer I was producing the titles for a light entertainment panel show.

But this description of the expenses fraud is fine, apparently.

It's all fine if you tow the party line. Not here to be fair anymore - just to keep the Tory wolves from the door. If we make things go their way, perhaps we'll keep the license fee for just one more day...

pauljholden

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 12:03:40 PM
Inflation is below Bank of England target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39337909
UK inflation rate leaps to 2.3%

Inflation, as measured by the Office for National Statistics' Consumer Price Index, jumped to 2.3% in February - up from 1.8% in January.
The rate is the highest since September 2013 and above the 2% target the Bank of England is charged with keeping inflation at.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 March, 2017, 12:28:07 AM
It's all fine if you tow the party line. Not here to be fair anymore - just to keep the Tory wolves from the door. If we make things go their way, perhaps we'll keep the license fee for just one more day...

Astonishing nonsense about MPs accusing (threatening, let's be clear) the BBC of not being positive enough about the post-pre-Brexit economy... In the absence of ANY credible political opposition, who exactly are they supposed to be biased in favour of here? 

So for reasons known only to my off-licence I listened to Ken Livingstone and Humphreys on Today this morning, and yet again not a mention of anything relating to issues actually facing the real world: instead it degenerated into a 'debate' about how far to the left or right Neil Kinnock was, or was portrayed as.  Neil effing Kinnock. Finger on the pulse there, all the big issues of the day.  The closest it came to relevance was Livingstone's momentary enthusiasm for Labour coming up with (unspecified) coherent economic policies, presumably relating to more equal distribution of the deckchairs... I know he's out on his ear at the moment, but Cheeses H. Crust. 

I fear that both the BBC and the BLP are irrevocably fecked at this point.  Oh, and the UK (and by extension Ireland) too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 March, 2017, 10:11:31 AM

UK inflation rate leaps to 2.3%

Inflation, as measured by the Office for National Statistics' Consumer Price Index, jumped to 2.3% in February - up from 1.8% in January.
The rate is the highest since September 2013 and above the 2% target the Bank of England is charged with keeping inflation at.

And, as I said, it's basically all food and fuel, thanks to sterling's post-referendum slide. That fuel hike will feed through into the costs of all physical goods, since they all need transporting.

That's the first rise in inflation for food after 31 straight months of year-on-year declines.

Still, thank God we took back control, eh?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 March, 2017, 10:26:52 AM
instead it degenerated into a 'debate' about how far to the left or right Neil Kinnock was, or was portrayed as.  Neil effing Kinnock.

Yesterday, Humphreys wheeled Michael Foot as an an example of how left-wing leaders were never good for Labour.

Old Tankie

Pretty sure September 2013 was before the referendum.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 21 March, 2017, 02:43:18 PM
Pretty sure September 2013 was before the referendum.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Would you please quote the relevant post you're replying to — your one-line non sequiturs are annoying enough without having to work out what it is you're not addressing.

Are you saying that prices have been higher in the past than they are now? If so, well spotted. Are you also saying that this current rise in food prices is unrelated to the exchange rate? And that the fall in the exchange rate is unrelated to the referendum result?

Old Tankie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 21 March, 2017, 02:58:19 PM
Yes and no.

You remember when I said that making obtuse/unhelpful/contrarian posts with the sole intention of provoking intemperate responses from other posters was the classic definition of trolling and you got all huffy?

Bolt-01

Tankie- will you please stop winding Jim up? You may think it the hilarious but it never ends well.

Jim- take five minutes before responding.

Old Tankie

Sorry Bolt, I tend not to give long replies as it is painful for me to type. I was answering the two questions Jim asked me, I didn't mean to wind anybody up.

Bolt-01

Tankie- thanks for clarity- and apologies for sticking my nose in.

Out of curiosity- is there anything you could use to translate speech to text that could help? Then you would just need to copy and paste?

Old Tankie

Thank you, I do need to look into other ways of using computers, and do need to change how I sometimes post.