Main Menu

New Judge Dredd game?

Started by Chrrow, 22 November, 2012, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrrow

I was wondering if there are any plans for a new Judge Dredd game you heared of? The only new games I know about are Judge Dredd vs. Zombies and some other handy game. What I mean is a proper console or PC game though.

James Stacey

It's been asked a few times recently and the answer from Rebellion is 'no'

Doesn't stop us hoping for an openworld sandbox Dredd game

radiator

Dredd open world game - never gonna happen.

Dredd MMO - never gonna happen.

I think a sequel to Dredd Vs Zombies, or a new mobile game is the only real possibility at this stage (I really liked DvZ so I'm not complaining).

If the Dredd movie had been a hit, then that might have made a new console game viable. But it wasn't.

radiator

Tell you what would be awesome - a Dredd encyclopedia App - something like The A-Z of Judge Dredd, but regularly updated. It could be complete with prog numbers/graphic novels etc with links to buy.

I just got something similar for Game of Thrones - very slick.

Doubt there's enough of a market for a Dredd one though.

JamesC

I wish people would stop starting threads asking this question. We get one about every 6 months!
Other than IOS/Android games it's incredibly unlikely that we'll see a new Dredd video game.

The absolute best we could possibly hope for in the near to intermediate future would be a hit Dredd game on IOS that makes the jump to XBLA or Playstaion Network. 

James Stacey

Quote from: radiator on 29 November, 2012, 01:04:33 PM
Dredd open world game - never gonna happen.

Dredd MMO - never gonna happen.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

Chrrow

Hmm really sucks. I mean seriously if someone does a real good game with awesome graphics, gameplay and lot's of action I'm sure enough people would buy it and many even would get interested in the Judge Dredd universe.

Something like a GTA in Mega City 1 would be cool where you can patrol the city with your Lawmaster, fight crimes, do side missions, go to the Hall of Justice to upgrade, do other stuff and so on.

Since no one does such a game right now, maybe it would be a good idea to do your own. For example using that PS3 development kit to make a PSN game yourself.
Or if no one has that kit or got the skills to build a game you can also make a LBP2 game. That's not very difficult and if you're a gifted creator it could be a very entertaining mini game. (:

dweezil2

The missus has been playing the stomm out of Sony's AC/DC and Slayer pinball on her IPad.
So come on Rebellion, what about an awesome Judge Dredd version for mobile and tablet?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

Quote from: dweezil2 on 01 December, 2012, 10:04:19 PM
The missus has been playing the stomm out of Sony's AC/DC and Slayer pinball on her IPad.
She should check out Pinball Arcade!

MercZ

Quote from: Chrrow on 01 December, 2012, 06:19:21 PM
Hmm really sucks. I mean seriously if someone does a real good game with awesome graphics, gameplay and lot's of action I'm sure enough people would buy it and many even would get interested in the Judge Dredd universe.

Something like a GTA in Mega City 1 would be cool where you can patrol the city with your Lawmaster, fight crimes, do side missions, go to the Hall of Justice to upgrade, do other stuff and so on.

Since no one does such a game right now, maybe it would be a good idea to do your own. For example using that PS3 development kit to make a PSN game yourself.
Or if no one has that kit or got the skills to build a game you can also make a LBP2 game. That's not very difficult and if you're a gifted creator it could be a very entertaining mini game. (:

The cost of making video games on that scale (the large, open world type deal) are quite prohibitive now I think. If you don't have an interested developer in the IP, especially nowadays when a lot of games seem to be too similar to one another, they will not be willing to use a property which has thus far failed to catch on in the American games market where the big money is. It would sound awesome and cool to us of course to have a game where you're a Judge and doing the business- but what of the casual player that might think "oh boy GTA clone!". Unfortunately you'll have to appeal to the lowest common denominator when you make games like this, and you risk offending either or both the fan base and the casual players.

So that would mean Rebellion would have to go it alone in making the game like they did with Dredd vs Death with their more limited resources, and then get the reviewers tearing it apart when the product emerges.

It could be possible for some really dedicated modders to make a total conversion of an existing game to bring it to Dredd world. I remember seeing a link here for one based off vice city, but I think that hasn't gone anywhere. Speaking from experience on modding it's difficult to keep the momentum going when you start a project, inevitably a lot of group members might drift away, their interests go elsewhere, real life comes up, what ever.

This is not saying that I don't want to see the game. I think it would work wonderfully too- but it doesn't seem the AAA developers which dominate the scene with the powerful engines and such will be willing to go behind such a thing. At this rate we'd be lucky to even see a generic shooter in Dredd's world, and with the popularity of that Dredd Zombie game I figure they might focus on that market for awhile now.

Quote from: radiator on 29 November, 2012, 01:07:15 PM
Tell you what would be awesome - a Dredd encyclopedia App - something like The A-Z of Judge Dredd, but regularly updated. It could be complete with prog numbers/graphic novels etc with links to buy.

I just got something similar for Game of Thrones - very slick.

Doubt there's enough of a market for a Dredd one though.

I would really like to see that too. I suppose we could dream for it if that database feature here ever opens and maybe they make an app version of that to browse it.

Chrrow

I know but there are some good examples of comic book games which got good sales and got bought even by people who are not fans of the original. Take The Darkness or Batman for example. If they do it right I think it could be a great success. There are not so many games where you play the police and have fun with it and the idea, scenary, characters and so on are really different from the games on the market.

Professor Bear

I find it highly unlikely that Rebellion would keep bankrolling an IP farm like 2000ad as an ongoing concern and then not exploit their property - they just don't have plans for a Dredd game right now.

Me, I'm thinking we start a petition to get DvD and/or Rogue Trooper released on XBL and PSN.  I have backslid on my policy of not playing any games that don't have cheevos recently and found DvD better than I remembered as long as you have a good fiddle with the right stick sensitivity and accept going in that the vampires will make you want to kick something, while RT is chuffing great and begging for an HD update - upgrade the textures and bung on some awful QTE cut scenes and it could have come out last week.

Molch-R

No. Will people please stop asking?

Professor Bear

Molch-R

*reaches for permanent ban button*