Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 18 October, 2016, 09:51:18 PM
Picked up about 40 volumes of the Mega Collection from my LCS for ~£150 and been reading through them in order from 1. Read 1-7, and The Simping Detective. Is there any better order to read them in for someone new to Dredd, or should I keep pressing on in order (excluding the ones that haven't released, obviously).
Cheers

That's a serious amout of thrill-power you've obtained there, steady as you go!

But yeah, as abelardsnazz said, read as you go, it's all gravy and waiting for all the volumes to be released, so you can read in sequetial oreder could mean you'd be waiting years!

Don't delay, enjoy thrill-power today!

Let us know how you get on!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Trent

Intriguing comment on the official friendface page in response to a question re Serial Serial and Ladykiller with the response "You'll need to wait and see 😉". Another hint that we might be getting an extension as surely these were not scheduled for the first 80 volumes?
Hopeful.

The Monarch

So finks gonna be in vol 35 i guess that confirms it as being in the same volume as judge child

Also we now know whats coming up for the rest of this year!

JaHawkDroid

Continuing in spine order it is then; thanks for the advice!

Really enjoyed what I've read so far, with stand-outs being America, Democracy Now and Judge Death Lives - though Simping Detective was really quite fantastic as well. Everything has had something to enjoy in it though. Next up is my first full-on Anderson book, and I may skip ahead slightly to read Cursed Earth. I feel like the Epics may be worth reading at random intervals with the other stuff? If I were to do that, is there any particular epic that's better to start with? Sorry for all the questions!

Thrill-Power Overload? More like Thrill-Power Addiction.

dweezil2

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 19 October, 2016, 09:43:31 PM
Continuing in spine order it is then; thanks for the advice!

Really enjoyed what I've read so far, with stand-outs being America, Democracy Now and Judge Death Lives - though Simping Detective was really quite fantastic as well. Everything has had something to enjoy in it though. Next up is my first full-on Anderson book, and I may skip ahead slightly to read Cursed Earth. I feel like the Epics may be worth reading at random intervals with the other stuff? If I were to do that, is there any particular epic that's better to start with? Sorry for all the questions!

Thrill-Power Overload? More like Thrill-Power Addiction.

The Apocalypse War, one of the finest Dredd Mega-Epics!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Trent

Based on what you've read, start with vol 31, Oz, which although out of sequence chronologically ties into Necropolis which you've presumably already read.
Then stick to volume order, it gives a nice view of how Dredd has changed as a strip over the years with more sophistication in the storytelling but generally less fun and inventiveness. I liked the art better in the old days too being brought up on the holy trinity of Bolland, McMahon and Smith. Only Flint, Walker and MacNeil really come close to hitting those notes these days to my mind.
Carlos endures in his brilliance but I have always preferred his Strontium Dog to Dredd.

JaHawkDroid

Cheers! May read one chronological, then one Mega Epic. Mix it up a bit.

Will update as I work my way through to being up to date with the collection ha  :lol:

Klegg Bait

I'm mainly interested in picking up volumes of this that have material that I can't get in the other available graphic novels/Case Files/etc.

Any hints at which ones I should be getting?

Trent

Not too much really and often more dubious volumes. The Heavy Mob has Holocaust which, understandedly, has not been reprinted before.
Cursed Earth Koburn includes Going After Billy Zane and El Maldito
Beyond Mega City One includes a couple of more recent Dredds not reprinted elsewhere
Missionary Man has the 2000AD episodes not previously reprinted
Calhab Justice has the complete series.
There are other stories scattered throughout not available elsewhere (usually Dredd stories not yet covered by the Casefiles) but I think those are the most significant.
I'm sure others will pipe up if I have forgotten any rare gems not otherwise reprinted.
Truth is, it depends what you normally buy as many stories were in previous trades (The Return of the Taxidermist) or in Megazine floppies (Lawcon and Breathing Space) so the volumes with them in might appeal.
I suggest you scan the Wikipedia page which lists the contents of each volume.

Apestrife

Hope there's a proper post Day of Chaos book somewhere down the line. Especially with later post doc stories nailing the tone much better than the early ones.

Wouldn't mind a Wagner-centric book. Bender, Block Judge, Serial serial, Terror rising and Ladykiller. And if a "expansion book", why not pretend they'll forgo the "no Dark justice in the collection" and put that in as well. Properly toping it off what began with/in Origins.

Trent

Wow, I would love those stories collected together. Terrific choice.
Hope for something like this if we get that extension. Time will tell as given where we are in the collection it is unlikely anything official will be announced for a year or so. Never know, it could be sooner based on the hints they are already dropping.

Klegg Bait

Apestrife

Quote from: Trent on 20 October, 2016, 08:41:17 PM
Wow, I would love those stories collected together. Terrific choice.
Hope for something like this if we get that extension. Time will tell as given where we are in the collection it is unlikely anything official will be announced for a year or so. Never know, it could be sooner based on the hints they are already dropping.

Wouldn't mind Bender followed by The man comes around either. Dredd showing some serious age, and not being on top of his game. Love that.

I wonder how many books they could expand it with. And what sort of books. I'm figuring Enceladus, Every empire falls and similar later day Dredd, plus classic b&w Dredd (Which seem to be largely overlooked in the current books). Especially with the FB comments about Un-American graffiti, hinting about further books :)

Regardless. I'm hoping they'll collect the recent Wagner stuff in way or another.

abelardsnazz

The Facebook page has put up the cover of issue 50, Fetish, featuring Dredd and Devlin by Cliff Robinson. Credited are John Smith, Siku, Michael Gaydos, Colin MacNeil and Peter Doherty. This suggests this volume will collect all remaining Devlin stories that haven't appeared so far. But what will the Doherty story be, as Innocence and Experience has already appeared in Chasing Herod? 

TordelBack

Barney suggests a couple of Smith/Doherty Dredds as a possibility: Roadkill from Progs 856-858 and Old Wounds, a two-parter from Meg 287-288. Both about 20 pages. Can't think of any better thematic link involving Doherty?