Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I'm new to partworks - do many quit unexpectedly? I'd be gutted if I was left with a half completed spine - does this really happen? Have I missed an episode of Watchdod?

Trent

I've subscribed to a number over the years and never had this happen. Nearest has been when they trial a partwork in an area and only release the first half dozen issues to test the water.

iutley

Quote from: Trent on 28 August, 2016, 02:38:40 PM
I've subscribed to a number over the years and never had this happen. Nearest has been when they trial a partwork in an area and only release the first half dozen issues to test the water.
The Mega Collection only made it to 4 issues here in the test area, then there was a 6 week break before the full national launch. The test editions were identical apart from different spine art.

Molch-R

Quote from: iutley on 30 August, 2016, 12:48:24 PM
The Mega Collection only made it to 4 issues here in the test area, then there was a 6 week break before the full national launch. The test editions were identical apart from different spine art.

There were only four test issues planned, so it's not an indication of how well it did (very well, as it turns out).

iutley

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 August, 2016, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: iutley on 30 August, 2016, 12:48:24 PM

There were only four test issues planned, so it's not an indication of how well it did (very well, as it turns out).
That's good to know Molch-R. I was so excited when I 1st spotted it in the newsagents I bought 2 copies and then nagged a lot of other people to buy it as well!

robert_ellis

Not sure if I'm unusual but the Mega Collection has turned me from a casual 2000ad reader to an avid fan. I'm even buying the Megazine & the uncensored cursed earth & Titan. I largely put it down to the text pieces in the collection which have helped fill in the blanks and contextualised the stories.

Molch-R

Quote from: iutley on 30 August, 2016, 01:01:03 PM
That's good to know Molch-R. I was so excited when I 1st spotted it in the newsagents I bought 2 copies and then nagged a lot of other people to buy it as well!

Glad to hear it! We were forbidden from promoting, alerting fans, or even mentioning anything about it at the time, lest we influence the outcome of the tests, so it was a bit frustrating but it all turned out well in the end.

dweezil2

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 August, 2016, 07:05:35 PM
Quote from: iutley on 30 August, 2016, 01:01:03 PM

Glad to hear it! We were forbidden from promoting, alerting fans, or even mentioning anything about it at the time, lest we influence the outcome of the tests, so it was a bit frustrating but it all turned out well in the end.

Molch-R I absolutely love the Mega Collection and I'm glad it's been such a success and the extra text and artist features only add to the exceptional value!

Just one thing, when the series has finished, any chance you could suggest to Tharg and Hachette a series of Judge Dredd figurines in the Eaglemoss Marvel, Game Of Thrones, Walking Dead vein?
Pretty please?!!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

I'm glad it's doing well - I still don't understand Hachette's rules on the test markets in the age of facebook, message boards and twitter which surely must skew results, but glad it's all working out.

I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for you.

IndigoPrime

I suspect it's about "will this sell in general?" vs "will this sell if the main publication the material is from does its damnedest to advertise the thing to fans?" Even so, the viability must be tricky to measure, given the nature of social networking, as you say, Steve.

I've mentioned it before, but I agree about those text pieces. And some of the recent ones have gone far beyond context, being properly interesting think pieces based around the Dredd property. It's one thing to not just cheerlead (see: the Marvel collection), and another to 'merely' add context; it's something else entirely to spend the time and effort on some of the essays we're getting at the back of these books.

Bar the odd bit of iffy repro and a couple of duff volumes, my only niggle is the packaging. I'd have happily paid an extra quid per issue if Hachette had added some bloody bubble wrap. (Lots and lots of crushed corners and spines in my collection.)

robert_ellis

The text pieces have really made my head hurt. Post America (and maybe Democracy) Dredd can't really be ever seen as Heroic, if indeed he ever could. So why am I reading the adventures of the most efficient fascist cop and his  violent antics. His relationship with Vienna, or sympathies with under performing Judges in the Pit are just fascinating. Even this week in 2000ad by being entirely predictable and slavish in his attention to the law he is inciting a serial killer and endangering the lives of hundreds of citizens. It shouldn't work as a narrative over 40 years. Thanks Molcher-R, you've made me think and purchase more!

The Monarch

Despite pat mills early efforts dredds never been portrayed as a hero. Hes a hard bastard who cares about justice and little else barring occasional blips like the talking hamster

robert_ellis

Only Walter would see him as a traditional hero. Yet I'd argue when he's up against the Dark Judges, he is a hero. its the judge system itself which is oppressive and corrupt. I guess Dredd is heroic in as much as he protects the citizens as best he can, and asks for no reward or recognition. If all the judges were as incorruptable as Joe MegaCity One would still be a nightmare of a place to live - perhaps even worse.

Dash Decent

I like Jonathan Clement's description of him as "grumpy Galahad".
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: The monarch on 31 August, 2016, 01:16:25 AM
Despite pat mills early efforts dredds never been portrayed as a hero. Hes a hard bastard who cares about justice and little else barring occasional blips like the talking hamster
The cat talked, don't think the hamster ever did...