Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

As a huge Jodorowsky fan I really SHOULD get around to watching El Topo soon, I was hoping Mr. Bongo was going to release it soon after announcing Santa Sangre but it never happened...

Tiplodocus

Fools! He does fuck all for most of Goldfinger.

It's obviously FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (best bird).

No wait, OHMSS (best bonkers plot).

No wait, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (best arty bits)

No wait, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. (Best bond, best theme)

No wait, GOLDENEYE. (best revisionism)

No wait... etc ad nauseum.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 July, 2016, 10:21:16 AM
As a huge Jodorowsky fan I really SHOULD get around to watching El Topo soon, I was hoping Mr. Bongo was going to release it soon after announcing Santa Sangre but it never happened...

Not seen it? My fav. a his. That reminds me: I should invest in his latest film, poesia sin fin. Given that I really liked Dance of reality.

Oh, also. El Topo is getting a follow up as a comic book. Looks mint.

Apestrife

Saw Jason Bourne today. Been 10 y. since I saw the original trilogy, which I really liked back then.

Spin off Legancy wasn't my cup of tea, but I somewhat think it did a better job than Jason Bourne. Jason feels clueless (and not in an organic way) most of the time, and lots of things happens because of "reasons". Forced contrived motivations and repeated moments where characters end up in staring contests (both thinking, I'v seen you on a picture, perhaps you could help me.) because there probably weren't enough script to work with.

Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum all had fitting endings. Nice showdowns with the "big bad boss forces that be". Things had consequences that would carry the films in my imagination days after I'd seen them. But with Jason Bourne, I almost don't remember what happened. I remember mostly sitting thinking being quite baffled over how easy it is for a character in the film to [spoiler]to kill this person's high ranking commander in chief, and then just get away with it.[/spoiler] and then trying to keep myself from laughing (not wanna disturb other movie goers) over how a police truck can send several cars flying without slowing down (was like a lawnmower but with cars flying instead of grass).

Not to mention a scene with two elderly men jogging/sneaking towards each other (both whom feet are making loud fapping sounds. Which didn't sound very "tactical") and then duking it out on the ground because some incredible forced story reasons.

I really wanted to like this film. I thought 24 Live another day did a very good job pulling Jack "The butcher of LA" Bauer back into the killing game, but Jason Bourne didn't do it for me.

Regardless. I can always watch the first three again --hoping they hold up as well as I'm hoping/believing they are ;)

Apestrife

Another thing on Jason Bourne. He's on the hunt for some men on a convention floor in Vegas. Luckily for him there are booths where they have tracing devices and spy cameras for con-goers to pick up and do whatever with. So he picks those up with the camera (the film was shot with) makes it more than clear to the movie goer that he picked up A, a tracking device from a bowl of small tracking devices and B, a spy camera. All he needs to do then is drop them in peoples pockets and then he's game...

Quite the farcry from the waterloo station scene in Ultimatum, where he actually had to make an effort  :)

Hawkmumbler

So, Batman vs. Superman? How bad was it?
Well i'll put it this way, I got to watch it for free, and I still came out feeling like'd i'd been mugged. What a load of cack handed dross!

Oh, and the [spoiler]MARTHA!!!![/spoiler] plot twist is every bit as stupid and forced as you where led to believe.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 July, 2016, 11:22:06 AM
So, Batman vs. Superman? How bad was it?
Well i'll put it this way, I got to watch it for free, and I still came out feeling like'd i'd been mugged. What a load of cack handed dross!

Oh, and the [spoiler]MARTHA!!!![/spoiler] plot twist is every bit as stupid and forced as you where led to believe.

The only scene I liked in that poor excuse for a film was when [spoiler]SuperCheese had to appear in court. And then has to watch as everyone dies around him.[/spoiler] He's clearly not as Super as he's believed to be.

I watched Facing the Giants the other day on TBN-UK (i'm not religious but do sometimes put the channel on, just for a laugh. The film is about a guy that takes on a failing College American Football team, so basically nothing like anything you've seen before. The only thing that stood out (for me) was when the team won and the coach gives his after game speech - "God helped you to win!" Which I took to mean that he actually helped the other team to lose. Nice God!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mardroid

The Cobbler

I had some reservations about watching this as it had a very low rating on Netflix. But the subject matter interested me.

I've enjoyed other things with low rating, so I decided to give it a chance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, which again goes to show. (My only issue - if I could call it that  -, is that I found one part near the end rather confusing trying to work out who was who, but I think it was supposed to be.)

Out of curiosity, I looked on the web to see how well rated it was. Not very much at all, it seems. Ditto  Tomatoes gave it 2, and described it as sentimental and schmalzy.

I didn't find it particularly, either of those, although I dont mind a bit of sentimentality. Maybe I have really bad taste in films then.

On the other hand I guess it really does go to show that taste is subjective, and I think being more easily pleased than average is no bad thing.

Professor Bear

April and the Extraordinary World - a European attempt to do a Studio Ghibli film, which suffers from overexplaining its alternate history and nicking its plot wholesale from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
Some nice visuals, but the animation lets the side down, as it's not just that television animation like Avatar or Skyland have surpassed the kind of thing on show here, but so has the kind of home-made animation that shows up on Youtube, making this look really cheap despite the involvement of Susan Sarandon and Paul Giamatti in the English-language dub.
Worth a look if you like alternate history fiction and/or steampunk, but only if you can be indulgent for the better part of two hours.

JamesC

Deadpool.

I genuinely think I would have preferred it with less swearing and fewer wise cracks. I guess I'm missing the point.
(Maybe one day there'll be an ITV edit, which I'll probably enjoy more and find funnier).

futureimperfect

Had a Man With No Name marathon this weekend.

Or a Dollars Trilogy weekend if you prefer.

Classic films. I think that A Fistful Of Dollars has the best story. For a Few Dollars More has the best soundtrack. And The Good, The Bad And The Ugly has the best acting.

Next weekend - The Magnificent Seven marathon!

Keef Monkey

This Is 40, which is a bit of a spin-off of Knocked Up and a similar style to that and every other modern/Apatowy comedy (ie. nobody seems to have actually written anything beforehand as scenes have clearly been cut together from lengthy improv sessions).

I find that style pretty hit and miss, when it works it's great but more and more it feels very obvious and a bit lazy to me. Paul Rudd is so great and natural at that sort of thing that I probably went in expecting more laughs than I got, although there is the odd very well observed relationship beat (I got a few 'sound familiar?' jabs in the ribs from my wife and vice versa) but it falls quite flat quite often and it's so cynical that chunks of it are actually quite depressing.

It's alright, we enjoyed it. The last film of its ilk we watched was Bad Neighbors, where scene after scene went by without anyone ad libbing a decent gag, and this was certainly better than that, but it's not up there with I Love You Man or Knocked Up. More and more this style of comedy makes me appreciate what someone like Edgar Wright does. Writing a very intricately planned out, densely crafted comedy script and then directing it with proper cinematic comedic flair seems to be a bit of a dying art when you look at the comedies that are bringing in the big bucks.

Then we had cinema tickets booked for Star Trek Beyond but the cinema had a powercut which scuppered that. Went home and watched the latest blu-ray restoration of Hellraiser instead, which was brilliant as always. It looks fantastic, even if the higher resolution makes some of the creakier effects that bit creakier (the wheels on the back of the tunnel monster thing have never been more apparent!). Absolute classic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 August, 2016, 12:13:43 PM
This Is 40, which is a bit of a spin-off of Knocked Up and a similar style to that and every other modern/Apatowy comedy

My god how I hated this movie. If I could be arsed I'd link to my reaction earlier in this thread, but suffice to say I never want to spend another second in the company of those vile ungrateful characters ever again. Any joy to be had from the gags was overwhelmed by my ever-increasing loathing of everyone involved (except for the two kids, who were convincing as the siblings they actually are) and their non-problems. Horrid.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Crimson Peak

Too short a story in too long a film. Pretty, though. Gorgeous to look at but nothing to hold the attention.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 August, 2016, 06:58:49 PM
Crimson Peak

Too short a story in too long a film. Pretty, though. Gorgeous to look at but nothing to hold the attention.

This could be used to describe every film Guillermo Del Toro has ever directed!