Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 August, 2015, 07:34:24 PM
I wonder will they ever get sick of being canned by the Beeb and take their stuff elsewhere - they did those (fairly uneven but occasionally inspired) Foster's Comedy bits on Youtube and also a strange pilot for Channel 4 that was a slightly fresher Shooting Stars (only this survives)...

Someone must have believed in them, as I remember hearing that the second series was comissioned even before the first had finished airing - I suppose they took the chance hoping ratings would improve (obviously they didn't.)
@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

Don't the Beeb have to commission a certain amount of episodes because of set rental, equipment hire and crew contracts?

Theblazeuk

I think everyone at the Beeb who wants to make good TV is behind Vic n Bob.

All the people who have to justify things in terms of numbers probably hate them.

Still, the ratings system is a mugs game in the days of OnDemand.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 August, 2015, 02:17:13 PM

debatable - they are very 'marmite' comedians - They can often leave me cold and I know several people with otherwise impeccable comedy taste who loathe them and can't understand how they kept getting recommissioned. I'm not going to pining for a 2nd series.

Steve Green

The whole 'not for TX pilots' thing is a bit weird - I've produced two title sequences in my time for shows that were recorded but aren't available to view anywhere.

Even if they weren't considered quite right for a full series, I'm sure there's shitter stuff on TV that does make it to series than a lot of the unaired pilots.

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2015, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 August, 2015, 02:17:13 PM

debatable - they are very 'marmite' comedians - They can often leave me cold and I know several people with otherwise impeccable comedy taste who loathe them and can't understand how they kept getting recommissioned. I'm not going to pining for a 2nd series.

The second series has been. Was going to question your use of 'marmite' but depends what you mean. Sometimes (in my brain) they are inventively brilliant, at other times I'm left equally cold. Or a bit cool. So their 'act' is perhaps marmitey, for me.

Don't know if there's anyone who thinks they are consistently hilarious. But I am sure many think the opposite.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CrazyFoxMachine

Dan Skinner aka Angelos Epithemiou will be starring a new comedy soon called The Kennedys - the second recent comedy based on the whacky 70s upbringing of a chummy media personality (the first being about Danny Baker). Spotting a bit of a theme here....

Audience: WE WANT NEW INNOVATIVE COMEDY.
TV: HERE'S SOMETHING WRITTEN BY AND STARRING PEOPLE YOU ALREADY KNOW SET IN THE PAST

TordelBack

Ah, but then you get something magic like Raised by Wolves out of the selfsame formula. 

Fungus

Cradle To Grave is fantastic telly, won't hear a word against it.
(Stupid expression - don't like hearing a word against it, mayhap...)

Link Prime

The restored version of Metropolis is on Film 4 HD tonight at 12.55am.

Mardroid

Thanks! That's one classic film I have never seen....

..Incidentally I have Freeview HD and Film4 is freeview but I'm not sure I have the HD version of that channel...

Link Prime

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 November, 2015, 11:34:53 AM

..Incidentally I have Freeview HD and Film4 is freeview but I'm not sure I have the HD version of that channel...

On the Sky+ HD box it's listed as 'Film 4 HD', on my old non-HD Sky box it was just 'Film 4' (although same channel).
I'd stab a guess that the Freeview version is SD, as it doesn't explicitly refer to it as HD.

Devons Daddy

LUTHER IS BACK
and i am in the UK the day before......

now that a great show.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

TordelBack

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 09 December, 2015, 09:38:22 AM
LUTHER IS BACK
and i am in the UK the day before......

now that a great show.

But.. But... It's made by the BBC!  Surely this means it's an inefficient, costly, biased, elitist, nepotistic, old-fashioned, PC/SJW/white-male-oppressing, ideologically slanted waste of licence payers money?  Even the Golden Globe is just more evidence of likely industry corruption. Ban this toffee-nosed anti-patriotic filth!