Main Menu

Doctor Who Season 9

Started by Goaty, 09 July, 2015, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2015, 11:12:43 AM
I watched all of 30 seconds of The Graham Norton show on Friday night. During which Peter Capaldi said [spoiler]"tomorrow's episode is Clara's last".[/spoiler]

Yeah thanks for that.

[spoiler]It was bad enough that the BBC had a big article on the front of their Website the day before the series started about Jenna Coleman leaving the show, but to compound that by telling us the exact episode in which she bows out....[/spoiler]

[spoiler]...well it just destroys any what little dramatic tension there is.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Also, so basically Clara lays down her life for a character, who (unless I missed it) was only introduced this week. Emotionally gripping? Er no, not really. [/spoiler]

That may have been misdirection - I understand she'll be back for the season finale

IndigoPrime

My guess: [spoiler]Clara is dead, but Coleman will be back one final time, either for the finale, or in the Christmas special. After all, she was the 'impossible girl', seeded throughout history[/spoiler].

flip-r mk2

Some info on Clara-[spoiler]On the cover of this month's Dr Who mag, Clara is dressed up as an American diner waitress, in the preview inside the mag,  there's a pic of the Doctor entering the American diner and also her name appears in the cast list for the final two stories.[/spoiler]

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Grant Goggans

The Doctor has been in that location before - it's [spoiler]the diner in "The Impossible Astronaut" where Eleven, River, Amy, and Rory had a meal[/spoiler].

My guess is that [spoiler]when Clara splintered in time to assist the Doctor throughout time, one of her selves showed up there to save Eleven from the Great Intelligence[/spoiler].

Goaty

M.I.K.

I guessed the ending far too quickly. I do not blame the programme itself for this. I blame [spoiler]Tharg[/spoiler].

CrazyFoxMachine

I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT UNRESERVEDLY.

Otherwise I wouldn't have watched it! If I don't like something, I just don't watch it.

IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

In other news, [spoiler]Back to Gallifrey next week - cannae wait![/spoiler]

WhizzBang

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 November, 2015, 09:14:57 PM
I guessed the ending far too quickly. I do not blame the programme itself for this. I blame [spoiler]Tharg[/spoiler].

Whixh part of the ending did you guess? The timeloop? The whole thing being his confession dial? Him ending up in Gallifrey? The Hybrid wordplay (me/Me)?

Professor Bear

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 28 November, 2015, 10:52:42 PMIf I don't like something, I just don't watch it.

The internet is not for you.

Jim_Campbell

The last couple of episodes have resonated with some of my favourite genre things -- last week's had a Neverwhere/Doom Patrol vibe; this week's felt a lot like Iain (non-M) Banks' "Walking On Glass', which might be my favourite non-M Banks novel. And also one of my favourite novels, period.

Absolutely the best season since Ecclestone. One episode left, Moffat. Don't fuck it up.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 November, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
Whixh part of the ending did you guess? The timeloop? The whole thing being his confession dial? Him ending up in Gallifrey?

[spoiler]It wasn't actually a time loop, though was it? Time passed. It's just the rooms reset to their original configuration, including his data in the teleporter's memory buffer.

That's why there were all those skulls, and why he was able to punch his way through that wall, albeit over a very long time period. And why the star configuration changed, although he had no sense of having travelled. "I took the long way round."

So technically, that means the Doctor died and this is a copy with his memories... right?  I do wonder where the teleporter got the actual matter from though. I understand the idea that the data is used to reconstitute it, but it still has to have something physical to work with, surely? Didn't the matter go away when the first itteration of the doctor left the teleporter? Or maybe it can form stuff by rearranging the very molecules in the air at the sub atomic level.

So every time someone is teleported, they are basically destroyed, and a new copy is made with the same memories. That copy thinks it is you... but you're actually dead. Brrr.

It's just as well the room with the diamond (okay not diamond but I've already forgotten the name of the substance) didn't reset too after he left or he'd be punching it until infinity. Or the batteries run out of the disk thing. I thought the idea of THAT amount of time passing was kind of silly but...

.... thats because in the back of my mind I'm thinking of him experiencing it all, but he doesn't! His memories start the moment he steps out of the teleporter.

Such clever stuff.

I love the idea that the castle construct was created from Time Lord technology. Taking that whole concept of bigger on the inside, to the extreme (although I'm not sure how large the Tardis actually is on the inside to compare).

So, Galifrey is only 1 light year from Earth now? To be fair, that's still a massive area to hide in and with their interdimensional technology they could probably hide their entire star sytem inside the crater of an asteroid.

And the idea that the Doctor is the Hybrid but obviously is not a Dalek/timelord hybrid is interesting. Born of two warrior races. So what is his other half? Are they going back to the McGann movie where he claimed to be half human, I wonder?[/spoiler]

M.I.K.

Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 November, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 November, 2015, 09:14:57 PM

Whixh part of the ending did you guess?

The [spoiler]timeloop, (which wasn't actually a timeloop),[/spoiler], though I did have an inkling he might end up [spoiler]on Gallifrey[/spoiler] as long ago as last week, and the possibility of that being the identity of the hybrid has roots as far back as [spoiler]1996[/spoiler].

M.I.K.

Quote from: Mardroid on 29 November, 2015, 12:27:47 AM
[spoiler]So, Galifrey is only 1 light year from Earth now?[/spoiler]

Not necessarily. [spoiler]Teleportation tecnology only works across 1 light year, but he'd been teleported into the dial. Someone could have carried it to Gallifrey during the time he was trapped inside it.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 November, 2015, 12:44:06 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 29 November, 2015, 12:27:47 AM
[spoiler]So, Galifrey is only 1 light year from Earth now?[/spoiler]

Not necessarily. [spoiler]Teleportation tecnology only works across 1 light year, but he'd been teleported into the dial. Someone could have carried it to Gallifrey during the time he was trapped inside it.[/spoiler]

Oh good point! I never thought of that!
[spoiler]That assumes that the stars were also a construct within the dial, as he could ascertain the time-frame via them, but not any change in distance outside the 1 light year from Earth.

That might seem obvious, but I thought he may have actually been viewing the Galifreyan night sky, albeit possibly magnified.[/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

I think my views on last night's episode are summed up by my 10 year old:

"When is something going to happen, dad?"
Lock up your spoons!