Main Menu

Doctor Who Season 9

Started by Goaty, 09 July, 2015, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Also, if you re going to play the continuity card: [spoiler]Question:  Young Davros has always known that a mysterious man in a police box left him to die... but he only brings this up now?  Are we going with it hasnt happened to the Davors who met earlier Doctors because it hadnt happened yet in the Doctrs timeline... like that isnt a can of timey worms....!  [/spoiler]

CrazyFoxMachine

Don't worry it'll all get explained away next episode and then never mentioned again.

SHUT UP I'M CLEVER!

Greg M.

They do make a point of saying [spoiler]Davros has only now remembered this incident, so presumably it always happened but disappeared into the mists of memory.[/spoiler]

I thought the episode was a jumbled mess, with a few good ideas and visuals countered by some utterly risible bits. And Missy is very annoying.

CrazyFoxMachine

Leigh S

Quote from: Greg M. on 19 September, 2015, 11:19:22 PM
They do make a point of saying [spoiler]Davros has only now remembered this incident, so presumably it always happened but disappeared into the mists of memory.[/spoiler]

I thought the episode was a jumbled mess, with a few good ideas and visuals countered by some utterly risible bits. And Missy is very annoying.

True - in which case, [spoiler]at worst he doesnt have anything to be ashamed about, as he knew this was how it had to play out and interfering could have unravelled the whole timeline - that said, as a characterful thing, the idea the Doctor would not help is more than vaguely undermining of his character - certainly all  character development we have seen in the new Series re his guilt over the Time War and his redemption  from that guilt... but ooh look, he's gone and done the wrong thing again! Weird from Moffatt, who seemed to go out of his way to absolve the Doctor of his guilt with how he resolved the (non)destruction of Gallifrey thing[/spoiler]

And Missy is incredibly annoying, but only as much so as the previous version - The Master as Mark Millar villain already leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but add to that the "he is the Dr's best friend" as well....  hmmmm

Greg M.

Sometimes I think 'if only the rumours had been true, and Charles Dance had been cast as the Master' - but even if he had been, the script would probably still have required him to dance around and do silly voices.

Grant Goggans

I do wish that the Master had regenerated into a woman who had never seen a Joel Schumacher Batman movie.  I'm really tired of watching Steven Moffat's WACKY! villains overwhelm what looked like an interesting narrative.  I imagine that people went "squeeee" over the text messages, but I was taken out of the show immediately, wondering why she was quoting Toni Basil lyrics.  "Oh yes, Steven Moffat. WACKY!"

von Boom

If you ignore Missy and Clara that was a pretty decent episode with an interesting cliffhanger. Unfortunately Moffat seems to insist on turning every episode into a joke where only he is laughing.

Dandontdare

Well I thought that was very good indeed.

I've never known a show to be so avidly followed by people who don't seem to actually like it.

Greg M.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 September, 2015, 04:31:30 PM
I've never known a show to be so avidly followed by people who don't seem to actually like it.

Doctor Who fandom practically revolves around not liking the show at any given moment and wishing it was like it was when you first started watching as a kid.

Grugz

there as plenty about the show back in the day I didn't like even the tom baker had some duff stories. but I enjoyed that despite missy (never liked the master in any form) and nice to see Julian bleach back as davros even without an explaination of how he escaped the crucible...
  just hope they don't try and go down the kill all the daleks forever again as rtd did. that would be lazy and annoying as victory of the daleks was original and fresh with the daleks winning for a change ...on a side note I notice the new big cloloured daleks are absent.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

WhizzBang

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 20 September, 2015, 11:19:08 AM
I do wish that the Master had regenerated into a woman who had never seen a Joel Schumacher Batman movie.  I'm really tired of watching Steven Moffat's WACKY! villains overwhelm what looked like an interesting narrative.  I imagine that people went "squeeee" over the text messages, but I was taken out of the show immediately, wondering why she was quoting Toni Basil lyrics.  "Oh yes, Steven Moffat. WACKY!"

I disagree with this although I haven't actually seen any Joel Schumacher Batman films. I think Missy is much better than the last Master who was a deranged psychotic - a bit like Batman's Joker. Missy is more understated and closer to the usual Master characterisation. The bit where she tried to switch sides and join the Daleks was exactly the sort of thing Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley would do.

JamesC

Quote from: WhizzBang on 20 September, 2015, 05:05:47 PM
Quote from: Grant Goggans on 20 September, 2015, 11:19:08 AM

Missy is more understated and closer to the usual Master characterisation.

Understated? Were we watching the same show?

WhizzBang

Quote from: JamesC on 20 September, 2015, 05:07:44 PM

So do you think she is more over the top than the last person who played the Master? He was always jumping around energetically and shouting, while she has conversations and even sits down to talk.

JamesC

Quote from: WhizzBang on 20 September, 2015, 05:18:37 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 20 September, 2015, 05:07:44 PM

So do you think she is more over the top than the last person who played the Master? He was always jumping around energetically and shouting, while she has conversations and even sits down to talk.

But the way she talks, what she says and the whole characterisation is just so OTT. Like someone said above with the Toni Basil thing - it's just tiresome.