Main Menu

Stephen Watson of Paisley to Appear on 15 to 1 - 14th October

Started by Buttonman, 17 September, 2015, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Just watched it - well done for surviving to be a grand finalist!

Buttonman

Grand final finalist thanks very much!

Thanks for all your kind word!

Banners

Gone 1am on a Saturday night and just watched the final, as that's the kind of rock n roll lifestyle I lead. Wow! Many congrats to you Buttonman on reaching the last two, and for being so gracious throughout, especially to the winner.

I thought you'd got away quite luckily with not being nominated for so long, but in the final three you seemed very unlucky in buzzing in just ever-so-slightly after the others on quite a few key questions. Such small margins...

Seems like it was a great experience. Good on yer!

Buttonman

Thanks Banners! It was good fun although not the barrel of delights a lot of the departing contestants suggest it is - a lot of hanging about.

I think I'd have done better if the final had been 'Question or Nominate' rather than all on the buzzer. The buzzer took out the tactical element and I was just a second slower than the other two in getting to the easier questions. Once I was 40 behind I knew I had to take a risk and once I was down to one life I was too cautious as I didn't want to be sent off.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 01 November, 2015, 10:24:37 AM
Thanks Banners! It was good fun although not the barrel of delights a lot of the departing contestants suggest it is - a lot of hanging about.

I think I'd have done better if the final had been 'Question or Nominate' rather than all on the buzzer. The buzzer took out the tactical element and I was just a second slower than the other two in getting to the easier questions. Once I was 40 behind I knew I had to take a risk and once I was down to one life I was too cautious as I didn't want to be sent off.

It's been quite a while since I watched a grand final, but have they always done that (buzzer only)? It definitely changed the way the final 3 was played, and not for the better.....and you could see how it annoyed you.

Good work anyway; actually makes me tempted to have a crack at it myself at some point.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Buttonman

I think they do it that was as they are guarding against some Brainiac saying 'Question, question, question...' and the thing being no spectacle at all. Strange the rules change only for the last round of the whole series though.

Another strange rule was if the score were tied at the end. They insisted only a correct answer could win so theoretically you could jump in if you didn't like the category, get it wrong and have it discarded for another that may be in a move favourourable category.

Soaps.

Which actress...
BUZZ!
Battle of Bannockburn!

Fungus

And just got the chance to watch this (while avoiding this thread of course). So near, BM! Not a show I bother with usually but these appearances have been tense! Agree the format didn't need tinkering due to it being the final-final, and I could see you buzzing in for answers but the circuit meant Ailsa's buzz was taken. Well done for keeping the heid!

Grugz

You going for "the chase"? buttman? I would love to see you melt frosty knickers' knickers or get the dark destroyer to crack a smile...or just impress the beast with your gastronomic adventures!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Echidna

Quote from: Buttonman on 01 November, 2015, 11:38:29 AM
I think they do it that was as they are guarding against some Brainiac saying 'Question, question, question...' and the thing being no spectacle at all.

Your three episodes are the only ones I've seen (well done, BTW!) and this part of the format struck me as a little odd. Why would a player nominate a rival, unless they're on their last life, or (as in your case) too far ahead to lose? In your second show, for instance, the runner-up nominated you and effectively gave you the opportunity to win - did he just really need a breather?

Buttonman

Most people aren't confident of getting 40 right in a row so the standard tactic is to eliminate the opposition. In my win, my plan was to sacrifice a life while trying to get as high a score as possible. It kinda worked getting me to 50 and putting pressure on the others who then took questions rather than picking on me.

Phillip didn't nominate me when on his long run of right answers - he answered 'pig' to a 'sheep' question. It then went back to the buzzer and I got in on the 'Sandy' Grease question. Once back in control I knew the only way I could win was to keep control - I was about 40 down and there was no way Phillip was getting two wrong out of the last ten. So no guts no glory saw me get 8 easy questions right to take an unassailable lead before sending the last two questions to the nice Robert who answered them both rather than send me back a potential banana skin which would have gifted Phillip the win.

I felt sorry for Mastermind and Brain of Britain contestant Phillip - his 122 was enough for a leader board place in itself and given he was so quick on his hand buzzer (I had the standard push down mushroom type) that I feel he would have had a very good chance in the all buzzer final.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Echidna on 01 November, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 01 November, 2015, 11:38:29 AM
I think they do it that was as they are guarding against some Brainiac saying 'Question, question, question...' and the thing being no spectacle at all.
Your three episodes are the only ones I've seen (well done, BTW!) and this part of the format struck me as a little odd. Why would a player nominate a rival, unless they're on their last life, or (as in your case) too far ahead to lose? In your second show, for instance, the runner-up nominated you and effectively gave you the opportunity to win - did he just really need a breather?
I've still not seen Buttonman's triumphant return to the small screen. Or any other episode of the reborn 15-to-1. However, this was always the dilemma the finalists's face. A confident player will take questions to establish a lead - usually aiming for around 150 - while a weak or nervous player will nominate in the hope of knocking their opponents out and winning by default.

Don't like the sound of this all buzzer final as it takes that element out of the game and, in the past, would probably have denied us the majestic spectacle of a big burly Minister from the Gorbals called Bill achieving a perfect score of 433.
We never really die.

Buttonman

That was Bill McKaig - here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9vIGc9uPIQ. You could do that in a regular series rounds as long as you were quick enough on the buzzer to secure the first three correct answers. You could then just take every one of the questions which he did.

In the final such showboating is impossible as you need to be first on the buzzer every time. In my case falling behind meant taking more of a risk and buzzing in early which cost me cheap lives. If I had time to hear the full question and think about it for the 3 allotted seconds I'd have done better but those were the rules from day 1 so I've no complaints. Only criticisms!

Proudhuff

Butt'man crank up the beast! there are letters out there, stop wasting your time on telly...
DDT did a job on me