Main Menu

Time for a new Prometheus thread...

Started by JOE SOAP, 24 September, 2015, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Tordelback on 28 September, 2015, 03:12:48 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 September, 2015, 02:16:54 PM
Well, I liked it, and can say with all honesty that there wasn't anything in the film that left me scratching my head or confused over what had gone on, so it seems odd when the criticism I keep seeing is that it made no sense.

Help me out then!

What the hell was David (or by extension  Weyland in instructing him) up to? Feeding alien marmite to Holloway, in the hope of what, exactly, then for some reason saving Shaw; saying something profoundly stupid to the Engineers (and what was it?).
What were the holograms about (and how did David know about them?)? The Engineers were running from something, but what? The goo? Something the goo created?
Why were the elite scientific explorers, and in particular the two geologists, such oblivious flip-flopping morons, and why didn't Captain Elba even try to help those two lost goons when he had a map in front of him? And how does he eventually work out the plot on his own when he clearly wasn't paying any kind of attention?
What did the goo actually do, and why did it have totally different effects on everyone and everything? Why don't the sensor spheres detect the worm-things until the goo mutates them? Does the xenomorph life cycle really depend on a goo-infected male having sex with an uninfected female?
Why did nobody notice that Shaw had cut herself open, or ask why? And how is she running about minutes after stapling herself shut?
When did the various human artists, from wildly different time periods, meet the Engineers, and why did the Engineers go to the bother of telling them exactly where their weapons testing ground was if the plan was to kill them in the end? They must have made numerous visits to Earth since whatever vastly ancient time they seeded the place, and known what leaving directions would lead to. Alternatively, they may have encoded this info in our DNA, which is "the same" as their DNA (wtf?), in which case why don't all the characters know this stuff? And how does this work for all the other terrestrial lifeforms, never mind other hominid species, that we share DNA with?
Why did Weyland pretend he was dead? Why did no-one seem to care?
Why is Charlize Theron in this film?

None of this confused you?

Now that's just nitpicking!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

auxlen

My biggest gripe was he tried to recreate the truckers in space crew from alien and failed as they would never have been chosen for such a mission.

Also...what king of idiot tries to stroke an alien that looks as dangerous as that!!!!
They could have made it look cute so we could understand why he stuck his bloody hand at it.

Oh and why was guy pierce hiding?

Spikes

The best version of Prometheus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34cEo0VhfGE

You really don't need to bother with any other cut after this one....

radiator

I will eat my hat if even one Prometheus sequel ever makes it into cinemas, let alone three. I just don't think there's any writer on Earth who could take the decidedly daft, flaky premise established by the ending of the first movie and spin it into a compelling blockbuster.

I think the reason that Prometheus gets so many people's backs up (and the reason that we're still talking about it) is that there are a lot of folks who find it to be an obnoxiously pretentious film. It's a dumb, schlocky monster movie (and not even a good one) - often an outright laughably silly one - that takes itself incredibly seriously and is dressed up as profound, high-minded science fiction. It earnestly presents these concepts - that man is the creation of extraterrestrial life - as if it's this groundbreaking, mind-blowing concept, when in reality, as sci-fi conceits go its about as well-worn and hoary a cliche as flying saucers and little green men.

People also tend to resent the suggestion that Prometheus is 'thought-provoking' (it isn't), and that people only criticise it because it was too intelligent for them and went over their heads. That those demanding a script make a semblance of sense on a basic story/character level is actually and inability to deal with ambiguity (it isn't). And it also rankles when people say it should be applauded because 'at least it had some big ideas'. And it didn't! At best it threw around some very vague philosophical ideas and theological imagery, much in the same way a clueless sixth former would if they were trying to sound deep.

It also blows my mind how people can praise the performances in this movie. They are almost uniformly awful, especially Idris Elba and Noomi Rapace with their ill-advised attempts at accents.

Even the character of David is really problematic. He admittedly has some great scenes early on that are easily the best thing in the movie, but by the second act he is just doing whatever the script demands - one minute he's a mustache-twirling villain, the next a hero. That isn't how you write an antihero, that isn't an arc - it's just plain bad, inconsistent writing.

I also think there's a section of the audience that feels like it was a bit of a swindle that Scott, sensing a franchise, literally filed off the serial numbers (by renaming the planet the film is set on) and transparently tacked on a different ending (where a couple of key characters survive) so that the film doesn't even function as originally intended - ie a direct prequel to Alien.

As for those who maintain that the next one will somehow fix the faults of the first? Remember the last high-profile prequel people said that about?

auxlen

Apparently there are a load of extra scenes that make sense of the whole debacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaKxB-8YlE

I watched this lady's vid  and hated the film less for the deleted scenes and wondered why they were omitted.

[spoiler]Scott omitted a lot for 'pacing' reasons apparently.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]but the 'bromance' is explained. the getting lost is explained. And the reason the bloke arrogantly touches the weird snake is explained.[/spoiler]

it doesn't fix it all, but it fixes a lot for me, personally.
I just want a cut with all these deleted scenes added.

Mardroid

I understand there's an extended version. Would those scenes be in that, I wonder.

Spikes

Is there? A fan edit or a genuine release?

But those deleted scenes are present on the Blu-ray.