Main Menu

SPACE:1999

Started by Tiplodocus, 25 September, 2015, 12:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Still got mine  :D  must dig it out that and the SHADOW Interceptor...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

EARTHBOUND

I had been wondering if Roy Dotrice's character had been simply written out but he turns up here with Christopher Lee.  Good to have a bit of conflict on the Command Deck.

Aliens in suspended animation turn out to be [spoiler]really nice people actually.[/spoiler]

We finally get a bit more talk about heading home (or why they don't) and some lovely model work.

Great stuff, even if the final reveal was no suprise to anyone who has ever... well, no suprise to anyone ever, really.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

MISSING LINK

Hey, Peter Cushing. Great stuff as Kong, in the best Kirk fashion, PG shags his way out of a mental prison.

It also boasts a short but really brilliant little fight between Alan "I drive an Eagle" Carter and some security guards and doctors wanting to pull the plug on the commander.

TordelBack

Tremors 5: Bloodlines

The missus loves her some Graboids (ooo-err), so in we dove, despite my finding the last couple pretty much unwatchable. Turned out way to be way more fun that it has any right to be, lifted by an entertaining South African supporting cast including the gorgeous Pearl Thusi, and bizarrely injected with life by Jaimie Kennedy's constant ad libbing.  Now I'm not a fan of Kennedy's comedy by any means, but the out-takes on the DVD confirm that huge chunks of his dialogue were off the cuff (and admittedly about half of this is his quoting better action movies at appropriate moments), and that the reactions of the rest of cast were often genuine, which goes a long way. 

Less fortunately some of this humour was borderline racist, but this is sadly in keeping with the picture the movie as a whole paints of SA, much of which would be at home in Daktari or even a Johnny Weissmuller flick.  25 years on Michael Gross struggles a bit as both USP and straight man in all this (Rebe McEntire is missed), and the extensive Deleted Scenes make sense of odd gaps which were CGI-heavy sequences obviously jettisoned due to budget.

The plot makes no sense whatsoever  ([spoiler]Where did that last egg come from?  How do the locals not know about the Graboids when they have elaborate tribal dances in graboid costumes?[/spoiler]), and while possibly the strongest sequel it's still the palest shadow of the original, but actually not a bad way to waste 90 minutes.  Hopefully it does okay and Bacon and Ward can be enticed back for Tremors 6. 

blackmocco

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 October, 2015, 08:24:43 AM
EARTHBOUND

I had been wondering if Roy Dotrice's character had been simply written out but he turns up here with Christopher Lee.  Good to have a bit of conflict on the Command Deck.

Aliens in suspended animation turn out to be [spoiler]really nice people actually.[/spoiler]

We finally get a bit more talk about heading home (or why they don't) and some lovely model work.

Great stuff, even if the final reveal was no suprise to anyone who has ever... well, no suprise to anyone ever, really.

Yep, this one's great. Space Seed from Star Trek essentially, but because it's Space:1999, it's got that dark and fucked-up twist at the end. This one haunted me for years after as [spoiler]I thought about Simmons starving to death in that chamber.[/spoiler]

Think I read somewhere that the episodes are presented out of order and this one was meant to air very early on, hence Simmons reappearing after the pilot.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

Quote from: Tordelback on 28 October, 2015, 01:49:59 PM
Tremors 5: Bloodlines

No idea how I posted this here, my apologies all. The If a mod felt deleting it that'd be cool. I'm off to repost it elsewhere...

Tiplodocus

Guardian of Piri
Another goody as the whole of the moonbase falls for the charms of a  hippy computer with the barely dressed body of Catherine schell. Keonig is unaffected (which is never explained unless I missed a bit) and has to win them back. Also has Gareth Hunt and Captain Needa as Eagle pirates. Lots of manly chest hair on display.

Tiplodocus

Force of Life
Bloody hell! It's Ian McShane. An entertaining monster of the week romp as a blue pulsating light turns a reactor technician into a space leech.  They must have had a memo about showing a bit more flesh as there's a (sort of justified) scene in a sun tan salon. Even Barbara Bain was at it last week. It's all tame stuff but it's nothing I remember from watching as an eleven year old.

Alpha Child
A bit of a duffer as the first baby born on Alpha accellerates growth and becomes a creepy Damienesque five year old and then a creepier adult by a green oulsating light. The Empire and Sith casting continues with General Veers showing up. Hell, even seventies tv staple Rula Lenska shows up.  A really odd talky resolution is about the best thing.

auxlen

QuoteThis one haunted me for years after as I thought about[spoiler] Simmons starving to death in that chamber. [/spoiler]
You were not alone....

ZenArcade

Niven did the short story 'hole man' and also referred to the concept in 'borderland of sol'. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tiplodocus

THE FULL CIRCLE

Another bat shit bonkers episode where they regress to being caveman because of a reversible time warp in some mist or something. Scientific explanations aren't really the shows usP.

Somehow, in the space of two days the have set up a hierarchical society in a cave complete with cave paintings, tools, the remains of mammoths, bowls, powdered paints etc.

I will  be generous and suggest that the dialogue about Sandra basically being a trophy that Alan and Paul squabble over, and the scene where she is told "My dinner had best be ready when I land this eagle"  are actually clever comments on how little some men have travelled in their treatment of women.  Surely they are not just seventies tv tropes.

Cheeses Barbara Bain is a terrible actress.

But double cheeses, look at the gorgeous Eagle model work.

auxlen

QuoteCheeses Barbara Bain is a terrible actress.

Don't you love Bain's soft focus shots while she whispers about stabilizing patients or something.
Also landau is not much better...shout and attack!!!!!!

Zanti Misfit

Quote from: auxlen on 25 November, 2015, 04:39:04 PM
QuoteCheeses Barbara Bain is a terrible actress.

Don't you love Bain's soft focus shots while she whispers about stabilizing patients or something.
Also landau is not much better...shout and attack!!!!!!

Wait to you get to the second series.  It makes S1 seem like Shakespeare in comparison.

( William Shakespeare, not Marlon..)

Steve Green

Network have announced a restored Blu-Ray of UFO for next year.

Tiplodocus

I remember good looking, if impractical hardware and Gabrielle Drake (uniform similarly good looking if impractical) and nothing else of UFO. Was there only one series? And was it any good?