Main Menu

Bring back Ian Gibson on Dredd!

Started by Jacqusie, 27 January, 2015, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a bit anti-Gibson that piece ay.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Steve Green

I haven't been able to find much in the way of other articles...

Richmond Clements

TordelBack

Perhaps understandable dissatisfaction with Samantha Slade and this unfortunate Halo siliness aside, Gibson has made a serious contribution to 2000AD, including many of my all-time favourite stories.  I'd love to see him back drawing something he enjoys.   

Jim_Campbell

I'm currently trying to persuade Ian to finish Lifeboat, since I'm certain at least one of the publishers I work for would pick it up. However, I would refer forum members to my previous comment about comic art being the least cost-effective form of commercial illustration from an artist's point of view.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 January, 2015, 04:48:32 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2015, 03:27:37 PM
It's a bit anti-Gibson that piece ay.

Hard to argue with though.

I would argue with people referring to letters that they cannot evidence to support their claims. It just seems like sh*t stirring to me.

I know everyone likes a good story but sometimes if you respect creators just let them have their privacy and do what they want to do. There was clearly an issue with finishing the story, that's life.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 January, 2015, 09:05:54 AM
QuoteFor 'topless Halo Jones' read 'topless woman who was drawn by the person who co-created Halo Jones so looks very vaguely like her'.

No. He was selling it as Halo - it was ony after the fact he said it wasn't her at all, we were all mistaken in thinking it was, even though he had said it was.

QuoteThe limited edition run of 50 prints had been offered for sale on the Expo website, with proceeds from the sale going to charity. It was described as "a special, very limited run of Halo in all her 'glory'!", aimed at "the discerning adult".

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/21/halo-jones-topless-row-ian-gibson

To be fair, I'm certain I saw the picture online somewhere before it went on sale with a very generic title and no suggestion that it was Halo, other than the resemblance. Somebody obviously had the bright idea of saying it was her because they thought it would raise more money, and it backfired.

Spikes

I thought it was Halo. With her tits out. From the off.

Are there any left?

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 01 February, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 January, 2015, 09:05:54 AM
QuoteFor 'topless Halo Jones' read 'topless woman who was drawn by the person who co-created Halo Jones so looks very vaguely like her'.

No. He was selling it as Halo - it was ony after the fact he said it wasn't her at all, we were all mistaken in thinking it was, even though he had said it was.

QuoteThe limited edition run of 50 prints had been offered for sale on the Expo website, with proceeds from the sale going to charity. It was described as "a special, very limited run of Halo in all her 'glory'!", aimed at "the discerning adult".

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/21/halo-jones-topless-row-ian-gibson

To be fair, I'm certain I saw the picture online somewhere before it went on sale with a very generic title and no suggestion that it was Halo, other than the resemblance. Somebody obviously had the bright idea of saying it was her because they thought it would raise more money, and it backfired.

That's my understanding of the situation.

COMMANDO FORCES

I think the convention organisers said it was Halo, Ian never did, from what I read, as the events unfolded.

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Skullmo on 01 February, 2015, 02:58:13 PM
I would argue with people referring to letters that they cannot evidence to support their claims. It just seems like sh*t stirring to me.

I know everyone likes a good story but sometimes if you respect creators just let them have their privacy and do what they want to do. There was clearly an issue with finishing the story, that's life.

Oh, I could "evidence" that if I wanted to.  The letter, after all, was freely available for all to see on this very message board in August 2007, therefore fair game for me to reference in that post.  I did not quote it directly, as it was believed to have been intended as a private communication between Gibson and a reader, but the text was nevertheless made public, and as such could be used as background.

James Stacey

Still let bygones be bygones and get him back. Ian has expressed a desire to do Dredd again on Faceybook I believe

Steve Green

Skullmo

Jacqusie

It's nice to see the encouragers on this thread. The world already has it's fair share of critics.